Thread: What size Puppia for an 8 week old pup?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What size Puppia for an 8 week old pup?

I want to get all of the puppy's stuff ordered and all of you seem to worship this harness. Should I get him an XS to start with?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

In my non-expert opinion, I would get a small. That way he will have a little room to grow. My 10 month old already need a medium...just to give you an idea of how quickly they grow!
    Lindsay
    Proud mom of Spencer (tri), Izzy (blen), Tilly (tri) and Howie the cava-cat

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd get a sense of how big he is now & how big he'll be when he arrives. Probably a small is fine for 8 weeks unless he's very small now. Lucky had a small at 11 weeks.

That said, Cavalier size can vary greatly - there are full grown dogs on this board who are smaller than Lucky is at 4 months, so I'd check with the breeder. Your breeder might even know about Puppia harnesses.

Lucky is already a medium at 4 months. He's 12 lbs now and the small harness no longer fit over his floppy ears.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

We got Duncan a medium and tried it on a 9.5 lb Arthur...it's big on the smallest setting but we are tolerating it in an attempt to save some cash.

That said, a S would probably get you through much of the 1st year unless Bosley is really tiny.
    Ashley - Mom to Duncan (4 years/blenheim) and Arthur (3 years/ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

I jumped the gun and got Chloe a small. When she first tried it on it seemed to just fit over her head- nearly four weeks later it still fits fine and if anything is a little easier to get on and off! Maybe their head shape changes too when growing, and I think she has become more narrow. I'm hoping that the small will do her to six months at least, if not beyond- and when she takes a medium I'll buy one that looks good on both dogs so that she can share with Holly (who does take medium- but possibly because she has a small head as well as a small frame).

Unless you've seen your puppy in advance and you know he's going to be big, get him a small. He'd grow out of the XS very quickly, and I'm not sure you'd be wanting to put a tiny un vacc'd puppy on a harness as a regular thing to begin with?
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

Coco is 18.5 weeks and a little over 7.8 pounds. She has been wearing a small size puppia since she was 9-10 weeks old and a little over 5.5 pounds. She is still wearing a small and has plenty of room left in the neck and chest!

As you can see, the size really varies with each puppy! You may want to wait until a week before you bring Bosley home to order his puppia. Ask the breeder for his measurements just to be sure.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if you can buy them in Ireland or can you just get them on the internet??

Post Thanks / Like

You can get some in the large pet store in the Blanchardstown centre. They haven't a great selection, but we did get a nice pink stripey one for Tandie there.
    At the cavalier training day last week Dog Training Ireland had a VERY good selection available, and are currently working on an online shop, so I guess you could keep an eye on their website? http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/home.php

Haven't seen them elsewhere!
    Cecily, owned by Dougal (B&T boy, age 2) and Dora (Blenheim female, age 2, rescue)

Cavaliers at the bridge, much missed and not forgotten: Aggie (tricolour female) and Rio (Blenheim female) and Tandie (ruby female)