• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

obediance classess

lily

Just wondering if everyone here has had to take their cavs to lessons of some kind or managed to train their pooches themselves???

Lucky is a puppy but he just started puppy Kindergarten 2 weeks ago. I think the structure is good and also provides a good opportunity for socialization as well.

I took Phoebe to classes and it was great stimulation for her. She was so good that I took her to agility.

I did puppy kindergarten with Jake and then did a beginner obedience with him. We just finished our 2nd of a 3 part training program to go for our Canine Good Citizen. Jake is 4 and Shelby is 3....so they're not exactly puppies anymore :roll: We sure have enjoyed it. It's reinforced my reminder to train train train every day in little segments. It's also been great since I've been able to bring both dogs and work with them together.

We'll continue with training. It's so good for their mental stimulation and reminds me to never stop training.

I managed to do a little basic training myself with all 3 but I found when I took Tandie to the training day that I achieved MUCH more, just listening to Lisa & Tara's advice and knowing exactly what I was supposed to be doing. (You should see her twirl now!!! When she's better I must video it and put it up). I also think Tandie really benefitted from being around the other dogs. Once she's on the mend I'll be booking her in and the new pup will DEFINITELY be booked in once he has his vaccinations etc.

Monty went to some classes, but we gave up as the sand in the barn used made a mess of his coat. however, I knew what to do having trained two springers.

Izzy and Joly did obedience to competition standard and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately , Izzy was too shy to compete and , although Joly ws about ready to compete, the class moved away, so we couldn't attend (too late back home, as David has to be up by 4.30 am)

Teddy is home taught, because I couldn't work three dogs.

I took Kosmo to classes when he was 4 months old. He's now 9 1/2 months and we're still attending.

Classes have been absolutely wonderful for us and I would recommend them to anybody. In addition to socialization, he has learned to walk nicely on a leash, heel, "leave it" for food dropped on the ground, not to jump (which we're still working on,) sitting politely to be petted from strangers, and a whole bunch of tricks such as sit down, lay down, stay, roll over, play dead, wave, shake my hand, give me a high 5, take a bow.. it's a lot of fun !! :flwr:

You are lucky, we have our own officially appointed trainers to the Cavaliertalk board in Dublin! :lol:

www.dogtrainingireland.ie

Tara and Lisa are board members here and set up our recent training day. They always have a big welcome for cavaliers. :pi*no:

New classes are just getting underway too!

A reminder to any Dublin region board members that tomorrow, Sunday 5th, 11:30 am is our monthly cavalier walk in the Phoenix Park -- details at the top of the General news section.

I agree! You are all spoiled! I'd love for Coco to meet just one cavalier!!

I have been taking Coco to puppy kindergarten classes since she was 12 weeks old. Before that I tried some basic training at home with her. I really wanted her to meet other dogs. Unfortunately all the other dogs are really big, but i think it's still been good for her. I really recommend obedience classes! I plan to enroll her in more classes after kindergarten! :dgwlk:

Maxx had basic obedience lessons when he was tiny but the class closed :( He is quite well behaved anyway though - even if he does always have to go upstairs and explore Alison's bedrooms when we visit :roll: icon_blshing (It's the only place he does it in, thankfully!).

I really don't know if Charlie has ever had training of any sort except for what I've given him. It took me 6 mths to get him anywhere near confident enough to go near other dogs and since then I have been trying to find a class. I saw one advertised in the Vets the other day and have asked a few people that the Vet Nurse said attends what it's like, apparently very good so we're going to book in as soon as we can :D

We started with Puppy Play sessions, where pups play and socialize, then moved on to Puppy Kindergarten class, then to Level 1 Beginning Obedience, and now we are doing Continuing Obedience classes with a behaviorist/trainer once a week.
Even with all these classes and practice at home, I still have problems with Riley wanting to pull when we do walks, jumping up on people with greetings, and now that it is fall, totally losing his mind when we see squirrels or large birds on walks. Whew, it's been a lot of work and will continue to be. He is a very confident, extroverted, energetic little guy and he has a strong personality. Training classes were/are a must for me! ;)

Back