• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

not eating much

emmawright

over the last few days daisy has not been eating much, in the mornings she could quite happily not eat any breakfast at all, i take her down to give her brekkie and she looks at the bowl and wont eat it. she seems ok in herself though. she normally eats all of her tea. does she only want 1 meal a day do you think? i would of thought she would need breakfast though. she was on rusks with goats milk, but this week she is on puppy complete biscuit. i think i made the mistake of trying to get her to eat the biscuit by my hand, but i will stop that immediatly from reading other posts on this website. i guess i just wanted her to eat something. maybe she is just being stubborn cos she wants her rusks back! i will carry on putting the biscuit down and if she doesnt eat it then i will take it away from her. do most of you feed 1 meal a day or 2 meals?

For my adults, I feed a proper meal at about 5-6 o'clock of an evening and a late morning snack of a Bonio or it's equivalent in smaller biscuits. With the older two, I used to feed just once mid day meal, until reading that two meals were better.

How old is Daisy? She still needs at least 2 meals a day since I know she's a puppy.

She may be teething, and if her mouth is sore from teething you might want to give her soft food.

Also you need to generally change over food very slowly -- substitute a fourth of the new food in for a couple of days, increase to one half etc until you replace it. You may need to do even smaller amounts. I wouldn't think rusks would have much nourishment in them for a growing puppy and would definitely be inclined to get the dog onto something more complete and designed for dogs (or see the home vooked recipes in the Library section of the site here).

A young dog will need two meals until at least about 10-12 months. Some then will just eat one. Mine just get a single morning meal.

This is an excellent guide to feeding:

http://www.roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

from which:

FEEDING DIRECTIONS
Whether you decide to feed a high quality kibble or a commercially prepared whole foods diet, the following directions will apply.

Puppies between 8 and 16 weeks of age do quite well on 3 meals a day. They start out with about a large handful of kibble for each meal or about 1/4 cup. At about 4 to 6 months of age you may begin feeding your puppy twice a day, about 1/2 cup or so each time. Somewhere between 10 and 18 months of age you may begin feeding just once a day--with some really good eaters you may need to feed just once a day by 6 or 7 months of age.

Each time you feed your puppy, put the food down for approximately 15 minutes. If the puppy hasn't finished it after 15 minutes, pick it up and put it away until the next feeding time. Do NOT try to feed in between. Refrigerate if you are feeding a commercially prepared whole foods diet. Do not worry if your puppy appears thin. Puppies are just like humans. Some are very thin while growing up and some are not. It is highly unlikely your puppy will starve itself unless it is already ill. A puppy that grows slowly is best--there is no first prize for gaining full size as early as possible! Puppies who grow slowly are more likely to be able to develop muscle and tissue at the correct rate to keep up the the bone development. Of course some puppies are gluttons! Be careful not to overfeed a glutton.

thanks for all the replies, daisy is now 4 months. i fed her rusks on the advice of the breeder that we got her from. i think that it is to do with her teeth, and that they are sore....will have to have a think about what to give her that is softer.....

Just try putting abit of just boiled water on her biscuits, let it cool and then give it to her. least you are sticking to the same diet but just making it a bit softer for her sore gums ;)

merlinsmum said:
Just try putting abit of just boiled water on her biscuits, let it cool and then give it to her. least you are sticking to the same diet but just making it a bit softer for her sore gums ;)
(y) Yes - I remember doing that too!!

Back