• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

"Wee"-ing at night

BarbMazz

After reading several threads about young pups having to wee during the night, I've been thinking about Clancy's habits.

He was born Aug 10th, which makes him almost 12wks old. I brought him home at 10wks old.

Is it bad for his health to NOT have to go outside during the night at his age? From the start he has been able to wait from his last *outside at 11pm until about 7-7:30 the next morning. He has never cried at night.. just a little whining the first night home but he settled right down.

I have figured if he didn't complain during the night that he is alright, but I'm not sure now since I've read about so many pups here needing to go out during the night. I don't want him to be "holding it" too long if it's not good for his little body. icon_nwunsure

I'm not familiar with any of this yet, as I don't even have my puppy yet, but I did hear that you should stop their fluid intake somewhere around 6pm or something. I even do that with my kids. :)

hi

My lily is 8 weeks & (touching wood!) weve never got up yet during the night.

Does everyone else get up during the night even with older dogs??

thanks ;)

Brady only cried for a few nights and then he was able to make it all night. i take him out before bed around 10 or 11 and then my boyfriend takes him out before he goes to be that's usually around 12 or so and he's good unil 6 when i get up. i have found out thing that helps is when i know i'm going to be going to bed, i take him out, then about a half hour later i go again. instead of just once right before bed. it gets that bulk of it out the half hour before, and then the last little bit after that. seems to work for me. i felt bad for brady the other day because i wasn't able to take a lunch at work so he had to go from about 730 until about 530 in his crate. he made it though. he's a little over 6 months now.

Barb,

My Maxx was able to hold himself all night from a young age too. I used to put paper down but he rarely used it. He used to sleep all night at the end of our bed and if he'd have wanted down for a wee believe me, my hubby would have known about it (he's such a light sleeper).

I think some dogs just have extremely strong bladders, when Whitney stayed with us I couldn't believe that she'd do a wee after her dinner and then about 8pm and that would be it until 6am next morning - no matter how many times I tried to make her go, she'd just look at me as if I had lost the plot :lol:

Just enjoy your sleep :wggle:

Chloe has done spectacularly well too. Bearing in mind she's only 14 weeks old, she went from 9am through to five pm and only wee'd twice. Neither wee was in the crate, either. Mind, I did restrict water. Both dogs got a good drink this morning, and then again when we finally got to my mums this eve, and again when we got home. Both also complain fiercely if they're thirsty and not got a drink, and neither did, so... Anyway, I was impressed. Chloe was going overnight without peeing or pooing or anything else for around seven hours from 12 weeks.

Barb - count your lucky stars!! :D That's wonderful that he is doing so well. Their retention ability is much better at night when they are sleeping. I'd say you have nothing to worry about!

I took Kosmo out twice every night until he hit about 4 months and then I was able to get up only once until 6 months. Around 6 months I started being able to sleep through the night entirely. Keep in mind that he does sleep in my bed 100% of the time though so I didn't want to be the recipient of an unlucky present. :lol:

I still sometimes get up in the middle of the night with him. If he's walking around a lot or sitting up at the corner of the bed I know he either wants a drink or to go out to pee. I never mind when I have to get up though. ;) He's out for a quick pee and then it's back to bed! :)

I think that book we read when we got Rio (Housetrain your dog in 7 days) was suggesting that from 12 weeks on they can usually sleep through the night, provided you've got your routine going :) icon_nwunsure Rio was doing really well. We got up with her for a while with no accidents but then she had prolonged diarrhea and we put paper in the xpen so she could go ad lib (which she did). As far as I remember there were several nights she didn't need to go at all during the night, and this was before she even got to 12 weeks. :D

Sara... twice a night for two months??? and then once a night for another 2???? :yikes :yikes :yikes
You must be a saint. *ng*l I couldn't do it. I'm cranky as hell if I don't get my sleep and once I've been woken, that's it. I can't get back to sleep. I'd manage for a while with a young puppy but I wouldn't be able to do four months of that :slp: :lol:

Cecily - YEP two times a night!!

Also keep in mind this was a little puppy that didn't know EXACTLY what to do outside so sometimes our middle of the night trips were like 10 minutes.. :yikes

Oh and then when we moved he was about 5 months and he refused to pee on anything other than grass (which we DIDN'T have) so I had to walk all the way to the end of the block in the middle of the night.. ugh.. that took patience.!!

I do think it added to our house breaking efficeincy though. He was going outside 100% of the time and never was able to associate inside with peeing. ;) It took lots of patience but if I got another pup I'd do the same thing. :)

Besides, like I said, he was IN MY BED!! :yikes :yikes You'd be surprised at the strength you have to get up in the middle of the night when you don't want a little one peeing in your bed.. .. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, I think I'll relax and enjoy my quiet nights! I do always have to find something to worry about :roll: !

All our three were pretty good at night, we did have wee mats in the bedroom and the landing, if they wanted to go during the night they went, after a few days of them not needing to go the one in the bedroom went, then the landing and now we don't have any down.

Back