• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Constipation & post-op care

cecily

Tandie seems to be a bit constipated since she came back from the vets on Friday morning.

she didn't poo all day Friday, but tried before bedtime. She must have been squatting outside for several minutes but no joy :(
Saturday morning the same pattern followed so I brought her for a short walk (just 5 mins away) and voila... a little poo :) she had another little poo yesterday evening, but then last night (for her bedtime toilet) she did the same squatting but nothing happening and it happened again this morning.

In the vets they fed her a tin of the Science Plan sensitivity control chicken & rice. She's back on her Burns kibble here and is eating and drinking fine. Is there something I could give her for a little added fibre? She wouldn't eat a small piece of raw carrot for me. :roll:

Secondly she's sleeping a lot but is otherwise bright, alert and energetic. She's recovering really well but should I be cleaning where her stitches are? I never thought to ask the vet :sl*p: Obviously apart from that 5 min walk she's been inside all the time and is not getting it dirty.

I've heard canned pumpkin helps for constipation. Can you get that over there? Not the sweetened kind though. I've never tried it but it's been suggested what seems to be millions of times. ;) Last time Kosmo was "constipated" I realized the reason for the excessive squatting was because he'd apparently ingested one of my hairs.. :yikes :yikes I had to help him out :grnyuk:.. since then I've been trying to keep my hair vacuumed off the floor at all times.. :lol:

I agree with the canned pumpkin. Just make sure it is 100% pumpkin and no spices or anything. Some of the spices in the pie mix kind could be bad for her.

Sam's Yams are also great and they love to chew on them, but I am not sure if you can get them over there.

I hope Tandie feels 100% really soon. Can you call your vet about the stitches or are they closed for the weekend? My bet is that if they wanted you to clean them they would have told you, but you may want to call tomorrow morning when they open and just make sure.

Few get well kisses from Lucky to Tandie!! :flwr:

A little rough bran (not All Bran which is processed), sprinkled on food, is good for constipation, clearing anal glands and making a greedy dog feel more full. I get mine from health shops or market stalls.

We'll try those suggestions... i think you can get tinned pumpkin in Lidl, and rough bran should be no problem from any health food shop here.
:thnku:

Cecily, I would start out by just making sure she is getting enough moisture, either by feeding moistened food, or by making a broth with strained plain chicken, beef, or lamb baby food mixed into some water for her to drink.

It may be painful for her to eliminate, so I wouldn't want to add too much fiber at once, maybe just a bit after trying the broth.

Cathy has a good point - I've never been spayed :yikes , but I have had surgery to remove some ovarian cysts, and as I'm sure anyone who has had something similar done can attest, it can mess you up a bit inside.

Even though Tandie's not complaining, she probably is a bit sore. :flwr:

Cecily,

Try giving her some tinned tuna (about a 1/4 of a normal can) with about half the oil in it - olive oil or sunflower oil, doesn't matter. Obviously adjust her other food accordingly.

It really works well and is very gentle too. My breeder alwys uses this for her dogs if they get constipated and when I mentioned it to the Vet he said it was fine and the oil would be excellent for their coats too.

Thanks everyone. We're delighted with how she's healing overall :D We brought her on another very short walk today and she was well fit for it. Didn't get tired at all, and had a little poo :w**h**:

Isn't amazing what makes you happy when you have sick doggie? :lol:

cecily said:
Isn't amazing what makes you happy when you have sick doggie? :lol:

so true.
i have definitely found that sam's yams, which i got from sit and stay .com, soften zack's poo. Evo makes it hard-ish, sam's yams counteract that. i have to be careful not to give too much sams yams.

my daughter just had surgery friday and they recommended a mild laxative to offset the constipating effects of the anaesthesia and pain meds. Do vets ever recommend actual laxatives for dogs for side effects of medications?

Don't know Judy but I was given some cat laxative to give to one of my cats before when he had to have some surgery.

Actually, Charlie has been a bit constipated since I've had to put him onto the tinned food & I had some Regucol in the fridge so i sprinkled about 1/2 a teaspoon full into his dinner. Later that evening my youngest took both boys for a hike up the fields with his friend and his dog. They came back saying 'you should have seen the size of the poo that Charlie did - it was massive :yikes '

I guess the Regucol worked hahahahaha

For those of you who don't know what regucol is - have a look here http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pa...6094D6ABA03C175AF9F6C0D&PID=477&np=1&cpid=419

Back