• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cockalier????

Maxx has got a very deep chest too, Aileen. I personally prefer the bigger Cavaliers though. I saw one a few months ago and it was so weeny it looked like a week old kitten or an overgrown hamster :lol:

I actually thought it was a tiny puppy out for a walk too soon until I saw that it was going grey :shock:

I know what you mean when we were on holiday this year someone said that Barney was not a cavalier because he was to big. At the place we were staying there was a breeder there who came to see me one night to tell me not to take any notice of him that in some of the dogs he had breed that he has some small ones and some large ones in the same litter----Aileen

Before Alansmere Aquarius won Crufts, cavaliers lived to late teens and mvd was almost unknown. The diseases spread was probably due to inbreeding from a small gene pool.

I read somewhere that the black and tans were very rare as a certain noble bred them and wouldn't let anyone else have them.--or perhaps this tale refereed to Charlies, Angela ?

Although red and white, black white and tan, black and tan and red are the only recognised colours, there are liver, tan and white tricolours. Unlike for instance blue gsds, these appear to carry no special defect. Some photos of normal tris and Blenhiems have a funnt tinge which makes the coat look liver, but there are genuine ones. A british breeder used to have a web site about them, but it has disappeared.

There's a photo here somewhere of an adorable choc'n'tan. Gorgeous!

Are you sure MVD was unknown, or simply undiagnosed? Maybe it was the very early onset that became an issue post Alansmere? Did he become in demand post Crufts as a stud and can 'bad genes' be linked to him? Hmm, so many questions..

I can't tell you how many times people ask me if Jake has cocker in him, or why is he so big, I thought Cavaliers were small. He is good sized. He currently weighs about 24 lbs. I was often asked, when Shelby was a puppy, if she had pug in her, she has a stubby nose and puggy eyes. Both of mine very much grew into their looks. Meaning Jake's size fit him better and Shelby grew into her face.

On another note....I had a rescue who was a cav/cocker mix and one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. Just an absolute love.

matties mum said:
My vet say that when they first started to get the breed back from the edge of nearly disappearing they breed them from charles and cockers for the colours Rocker who was a black and tan was quiet big and the vet said that he had a deep chest as well ---Aileen

I groom a b/t who i'm sure has some sussex spaniel in him , he is MASSIVE. legs like tree trunks , even his ear flaps weigh a ton.
He has a sussex shape too,If it wasn't for his colour you'd argue he was one

Barbara Nixon said:
Before Alansmere Aquarius won Crufts, cavaliers lived to late teens and mvd was almost unknown. The diseases spread was probably due to inbreeding from a small gene pool.

I read somewhere that the black and tans were very rare as a certain noble bred them and wouldn't let anyone else have them.--or perhaps this tale refereed to Charlies, Angela ?

Although red and white, black white and tan, black and tan and red are the only recognised colours, there are liver, tan and white tricolours. Unlike for instance blue gsds, these appear to carry no special defect. Some photos of normal tris and Blenhiems have a funnt tinge which makes the coat look liver, but there are genuine ones. A british breeder used to have a web site about them, but it has disappeared.

Think that might have been marlbrough Blenheims.

There have been chocolate & blue & tan charlies . The books say they took the appearence of blue & tan pups to mean a lethal gene in the strain but dont mention wether they died naturally or they culled them.

My friend saw some chocolate charlie pups who apparently lived to adulthood but had health problems. So it doesnt seem to be the same gene as choc/liver cavaliers.

I have been told it is common practice to breed blenhiem to blenhiem over many generations in cavaliers with no loss of colour ?

In charlies if breeding blenhiem to blenhiem too often The red will fade to a washy tan , the eyes & nose will become light & they revert back to the "Old marlborough type " with flat head & longer nose.

That would suggest red & white in cavs comes from somewhere else

I read that breeders introduce tris into blenheim lines to stop the fade. The story of the nobleman hanging on was definitely black and tan, but I wasn't sure whether they werre charlies or cavaliers (Probably the former or small spaniels)

Mvd was very rare in the breed before Alansmere Aquarius won Crufts. There is no connection between him and it, but his win made cavaliers more desirable, so , obviously some contaminated lines got overused, in the rush to cash in.

Barbara Nixon said:
...The best for old photos , many of which are from private collections, and are not to be seen anywhere else, is Margaret Workman's 'The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel'. You can get it new or second hand from Amazon. Over here Amazon has used copies as cheap as £2.

Thanks for telling me about this book. I ordered it from Amazon and it arrived today. It's just wonderful, the part about the evolution of the cavalier, with photos, is fascinating.

Hi,

The Lady of "The lady and the tramp" is a Cockalier, because some people says it's a ruby cavalier and someone is a cocker. Then we have a cockalier!!! (and it's just adorable, like yours).

I think it's an old cavalier! Under the reign of William and Mary, the king charles Spaniel was crossed with pugs (because the favourite dogs of Mary were the pugs).
Then an American Knight called Roswell Eldridge(year 1926) offered the sum of 50 pounds for a couple of Blenheim cavaliers, like the ones you could see under the reign of Charles II. Then the Breeders started cross king charles spaniel (today known as english toy spaniel) with cockers. The result was the Cavalier king Charles Spaniel. (Only receive the name of cavalier the ones who had the nose more out, like the cockers). All of them were crossed with spaniels.
:flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :lotsaluv:

Aileen! I just saw your beautiful avatar for the first time. You did it! Good for you. What a pretty doggie. :flwr:

Huge Cavalier

The only cavalier I've seen locally was huge. By the look of him he was exactly like a blenheim Cavalier, according to my inexperienced eye.
Here I was with a 13 pounder, 16 months old and this other cavalier was just over two years old and 30 pounds! I would like to put a little weight on Tucker so long as it wouldn't make him over weight. Are their height/weight charts? Tucker looks much heavier than he is as he has a very fluffy coat. Soon as I post current pics of him you'll have a better idea of his size. I know 13 pounds is well within normal range, I'm just curious if in Tucker's case, it is a good weight for his height. Which I confess I do not even know.

Back