• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

barking mad

sal

can anyone please help we have recently got our 3rd cavalier but he is a monster when we go for walks he barks at everything especially other dogs and it starts 1 of our others off they like little pack dogs lol i know they wouldnt hurt a sole but if i could i would like to sort this problem so our walks are more enjoyable. sally

Hi: Just moving this to the training section -- this is the breed rescue section so people are unlikely to see this request for help over here.

Karlin

PS Once you add a third dog you have a pack, and this behaviour will be very hard to control. I have the same issue with my three. It may be best to just not walk them all together. The alternative is really working on obedience so that all three will respond immediately to any command from you, to look (eg to focus on you), to sit, to be quiet. To get three to do this will involve working with all three separately until their response is excellent, then work toward being sure all three will respond when they are together.

I very rarely walk all three together, I change who I walk with daily, sometimes two other times just the one, I switch them around always...they have to learn to wait and be patient etc for their turns.

I never allow them to take it for granted that they are going with me at that time...and that way I find I don't get the manic excitement that some get when the leads come out etc...OMG I couldn't cope with that....all three jumping around crazy.

I always "sit stay" them for leads on, and reward verbally for good manners. They can sit still with leads on waiting for me to do my shoes/coat etc no problems.

I do enjoy walking/running them all together and they enjoy it as well, but most of all I love to walk them on their own with all their focus on myself. :lotsaluv: Each has their own personality and I like to keep in touch with that. There is nothing like a one to one with your dog, it's quality time! :l*v:

Alison, Wilts, U.k.

thank-you

thank-you for your replys i will be trying these tips out and has for going mad when the leads come out thats ours they get really excited even thou they have regular walks sal

My Geordie behaves that way, but he is perfect off-leash for agility, both in class and in the ring.

My favorite thing to do is walk him early Sunday morning when no one is about. Or just for very short walks to the corner and back late at night.

This is the only way I know to manage it, since he missed his prime socialization period as a puppy. We used to take him to an indoor dog park, with APDT trainers present, and he got along fine.

Fortunately he has a great big fenced yard to run in with our girls, so he gets plenty of exercise!

He's a lovely boy otherwise, very loving and affectionate with us. :flwr:

My pack arrived at number four ie Teddy the Monster. He's the barker.
I don't take the foursome, now, incse izzy gets too excited, but I used to bring Teddy to walk by my side (the others having lead length) and praise him, when he was quiet agai or especially when he ignore danother dog or person. He was always well behaved before he got back home.

Back