• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

teething = no energy?

WillowsMom

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for some advice again....Willow has just started teething - she lost all her front bottom teeth between Thursday night and Saturday morning!

Since this started, we can't get her to eat breakfast at all - she'll still eat her dinner (and without the hassle we usually get with her food - we don't even have to put any on the floor like we usually do.)

The thing is, she's had no energy for most of the last 4 days - she's not terrible interested in playing except for an occassional burst, and she sleeps way more than usual.

Also, we can't really get her to drink much water, which really has me concerned - she'll drink in the evenings, but not much at all during the day.

Should we be worried, or is this normal teething behaviour?

Thanks!
Krista

hello - this is exactly what i am going through with daisy at the moment, she has little energy, not eating breakfast at all, and her evening meal is also a struggle. she is also sleeping a lot. i had a look at her gums and they look so sore, not lost any teeth yet though, but they are all coming through. i think it is all to do with teething.

I'm looking in Sheila Smith's book, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Today, and she says at age 4-5 months the puppy will be feeling very sore in the mouth and may go off eating. Sheila says to cease lead training during this time, too.

I would soften her food with warm water, then let it cool. I do remember feeding India scrambled eggs sometimes during her teething period.

Karlin has suggested wetting a face cloth, wring it out (maybe tie it in a knot or twist it) and put in the freezer. Willow may feel better if she chews on it while it's frozen.

Cody is 4 months old too. I just noticed today that he had lost a molar (I actually stepped on it!! OUCH!!) He hasn't been eating as much, but he is knawing on EVERYTHING. I started putting low sodium chicken broth in his food to soften it up. He scarfs it down like there is no tommorrow! My other dogs of course can't be left out so they think they are getting something really special! :D

I wouldn't worry. She is drinking at night and as long as she is getting fluids, that is what is important. If she is less active during the day she would need less anyhow. In the morning when she first wakes up is probably when they hurt the most because she hasn't been using her chompers for hours on end. Chicken broth ice cubes are a great fix too, just make sure she doesn't take them on light colored carpet... :oops: I did that one once. Won't do it again.

Thanks! We've been giving her ice cubes and the frozen dish cloths - that does seem to help a bit. I was just worried that there might be something else wrong - how we worry about our little ones!

I'll try softening her food and see if that helps.

Krista

When Kosmo was through his awful teething phase I found this toy called a chilly bone. You wet it with water and put it in the freezer.. much like a washcloth I guess. He LOVES that toy still to today. Thank God it's stayed in one piece.

I would imagine she is also growing right now and doesn't feel too good because of the teething so she probably needs as much sleep as she can get.

One HUGE mistake I made when Kosmo was teething was - at the request of my vet - to stop brushing his teeth through the teething phase entirely. I understood what she meant at the time, but, because I did that, I'm still having a heck of a time getting him to sit still through the teeth brushing. Before i stopped he was an angel. If I had to do it over again, I would still brush his teeth, but maybe just with my finger or with a finger toothbrush lightly.

Good luck - it will be over before you know it!! :flwr:

tooth time too

Glad to read this. We're off food here as well. We already found a tooth stuck in a toy and blood on another one. Barkleigh is also mouthing our hands much more softly. Ice cubes seem to be fun, but I'll try the washcloth trick. Also more sleepy. I'll make sure to brush teeth with finger brush. He loves to teeth on his toothbrush, but if he bonds with it, so much the better.

I'll be pleased to be rid of puppy teeth.

Actually, Amber lost a tooth today - took me a minute to work out what it was- and she was very fussy about her kibble this evening. She was fine this morning. However, she scarfed the lot of chicken potato and veg from dinner- but I didn't make the kibble connection until just now. Poor baby, she's obviously teething hard- she's coming up for 19 weeks, I think.

We did the ice cube thing with all three of them, and Woody loved to chew the kitchen roll tube...

Back