• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My poor baby

blue_star

My poor baby Toby is not well today!! :yikes

We came into work this morning and has his usual fuss (yes i was in a meeting). While he was having his usual fuss i noticed he had a huge section of fur missing from his tail and instead it was full of blood. The skin was extremly red and raw and he couldn't stand it being touch anywhere on his tail

Any how we are now waiting for 2pm to come so we can go off to Mr Jame's the vets so see what on earth it is.

Will keep u posted!

:(

Poor Toby. I can't imagine he pulled the fur out himself. How do you think it happened? What does he do when he has his "usual fuss"?

I hope you can figure out what happened and how to prevent it in the future. BIG hugs for Toby from me and Chester!

I am thinking about you & poor Toby today. I hope he feels better soon and the vet has some good news to report.

Please let us know how he's doing and what the vet says.

:hug:

My poor baby is back from the vets and he has a lamp shade on at the moment to stop him nibbling at his tail. The vet thinks its some kind of flea or parasite, so we have more worming tablets and some steriod cream (&gloves) to put on.

At the moment he is really hating the lampshade, he can't go under my desk which is where he normally sleeps, i've had to cut it slightly as he couldn't drink or pick anything up from the floor, so it now has a half moon cut out. Poor love is now crying :(
The worst thing was that some poor bloke was having his dog put down while we were waiting at the vet so i'm slightly emtional at the moment.

GudrunTheRed said:
What does he do when he has his "usual fuss"?
quote]

Tobys usual fuss is when he comes in in the morning and has lots of love. Usually a belly rub, scratch under the chin, he sniffs all over and then he has a little treat.

Sorry to hear about little Toby--I know how frustrating it is to see your babies go through skin problems. I don't know if they're available in England, but I got Mia a soft e-collar when she was spayed. She didn't seem bothered by it at all--actually had to chase her down a few times to get it off--ha!

Hope Toby feels better soon!

:( Poor little guy and poor you! Give him extra love and I'm sure he will return the favor to you! :)

Here's hopes that tomorrow will be a better day for you both! :flwr:

awww poor little toby. :(

I am sorry you had to go through that this morning. When I took my big dog into the vet there was also a man who had just gotten the news that he had to put his dog down. He was sobbing uncontrollably as were his family when he came out to tell them. It was an awful time for everybody at the vets.

Can you look into getting him a soft e-collar? I think those are more comfortable for them. Also, would it be possible to watch him while he's under your desk so he doesn't have to wear the stupid thing? After Kosmo was neutered I was able to keep him out of an e-collar by just keeping a constant eye on him and correcting him if he dug at the stitches.

Good luck Toby.. *HUGZ* from all of us!! :flwr:

ouch. that sounds painful. i agree with the soft e collar idea, it folds and moves around, it did get in the way, like going through the crate door, but then he was able to negotiate through. poor little toby and poor mom. I hope he gets better fast with this treatment.

once i was in the waiting room at the vet's and a family came in with an old dog, a couple and two kids. the dog was limping, looked like arthritis. it soon became clear they had brought the dog for pts. there was some discussion about disposal of the body (right there in the waiting room!) and then, the family's choice to be with the dog at the time, so they all went back with the dog, and later the family came out wihtout the dog, there were some tears, but also smiles. I think the body disposal conversation happened after, and a price was quoted.

Can you perhaps wrap his tail up in some soft cloth or gauze to protect the area and to keep him from chewing it? You could even spray the outer layer with some Bitter Apple to deter him from even licking it. I hate those e-collars...

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply, its really kind of you all :flwr:

Toby is stopping with me tonight, i have removed the lamp shade as he just will not settle with it on and he's getting more worked up. I took it off and he jumped onto the sofa and feel asleep (he's still there now). Soooooo as long as he's not biting and i'm around watching i'm going to keep it off. I just have the dilemma about what to do tonight.

I have never heard of an e-collar, i have found loads of American sites that stock it but no UK. When doing a search of UK sites and e-collar it came back with an collar that sending a small eletric shock to get dogs to return to their owners :yikes , horride IMHO.

That;s a bit strange since I believe e-collar is an abbreviation of 'elizabethan collar'- as in like the big lace collars you see in portraits of Elizabeth I!

An e-collar is the same as a lampshade collar and is an abbreviation for Elizabethan collar. (y) You can buy these inflatable ones that are more comfortable for the dog (the soft ones) but normally it is the same plastic hard one. Generally just keep it off when you can watch him, I'd say. Poor fellow! I'd not spray anything near his tail area if he has an open wound there. It is a hard area to protect.

Poor {{{{{{{{Toby}}}}}}}} I've only just seen this thread Amy, sorry :(

Wonder what on earth it could be :? He's obviously not been with you the last few days? I know you watch him like a hawk :flwr:

Did he see Uncle James? Or was it one of the others? I hope he's soon better, bless him :lotsaluv:

I can just imgine him trying to get under your desk with that collar on :lol: He just about fits as it is, bless him :lol:

Big hugs for the gorgeous boy from me and my monkeys :hug:

Yeah he is not too good today, but he is better than yesterday,

No Toby only went home Saturday morning and this is what happened Tuesday, no one had noticed!! :yikes

No Uncle James was not in, apparently he only works Wednesday night night and i wanted Toby down there straight away (well when they opened at 2).

He's tail is a lot better today, it has started to scab over but we have a bit of a fight to put his cream on and rub it in. He is doing a funny sideways walk at the moment, as his tail must be really sore.
I have left his collar off as it was really driving him crazy and he was getting sooo distressed and really could not work out why i wouldn't let him under my desk. It just means i have to watch him at every moment.
Nan watched him for me yesterday as i had to go to guides.

Thanks for all you love and good wishes you are sending.

Well what an eventful night, me and Toby were off for a long walk but i ended up back at the vets!! :yikes Not Toby this time but Taffy. My aunt rung me to ask if i could pop her down as Taffy had not been drinking or eating for a day and had really bad sickness and diarrohea (sp) and was shaking.
So off to see Uncle James!! Poor love had 4 injections, some paste to harden his poo and his tail shaved!!!!! He has to go again tonight but he seemed a bit brighter although if he hasnt drunk any water and kept it down he has to go in and on a drip!
The receptionist is getting to know me very well there. Also popping Toby down tonight for them to check his tail, to me it seems loads better, its gone very dry and scabby which i take to be a good sign. He also had a bath last night in some special solution for his skin and did not look impressed and refused to come near me for the rest of the night. This morning he was all over me so i cant of offened him that much :roll:

Ohhh, sounds like you've got your hands full! Hope Taffy improves quickly. Hugs to you, Taffy and Toby! :hug:

oh im so sorry about everythng thats happened! poor toby ! glad to know his tail is getting better...hows he doing now? and 4 injections!!!!!!!!! hope Taffy was alright after that loadful! :flwr:

Back