• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Close Call - Tips for walking 2 dogs together safely?

Didn't read all the posts so it may have been mentioned but, those flexi leads can come unlocked. My friend told me about two women talking in the street with their dogs on flexi leads. The leads unlocked and both dogs ran into the road and were killed. My vet also gave me the same warning. Only use flexi leads in the park etc, NEVER on roads! :shock:

On using a regular lead...in our training class if we were caught without the loop around our wrist we had to bring cookies for everyone to the next class :D I've also used two leads hooked together like Lucy's mum.

Oh, Pauline, what a horrible story! Oh my. Yes, no more Flexi leashes on the road for us. Not on the street anyway. Certainly not on the street.

The worst part is there WAS a dog in my sister's neighborhood who was killed one afternoon last year - but that was just a freak accident - the dog did not get loose - the dog walker was apparently just not keeping the dog close enough and when crossing the street someone turned the corner fast and killed the dog. (can you imagine the owner when they got that phone call?? And I wonder if that dog walker is still in business...)

Anyway, so we are now the proud owners of a lovely chestnut leather Pet-Walker Plus double lead. It is lovely and feels soooo much safer!!! Thank you Linda and Jackie. I got it from JB Wholesale (which by the way is nothing inside the store like I thought it would be - it's actually quite small compared to Petco and Petsmart!!!).

BarbaraNixon - I agree completely on the wire Flexis. I don't have that kind for precisely that reason. Much too dangerous - that wire can cut like a knife - if you are going to use a flexi the all webbing variety is the only way to go. That Halti lead sounds really interesting too ...

BarbMazz - thanks for the head's up on the teenage years to come. :) I'll have to keep that in mind when I feel like :bang:

Lisa_T - LOVE your work around with the leash around your waist - what a creative solution - it feels much safer than just using your hands and if you are out and about doing shopping or whatever is a great idea. (I love your new Avatar also by the way, so just needed to say that too!!)

Molly - yes, we are using Clicker training and Lucky is just doing sooo well in Kindergarten. He's making me proud. He volunteered to demonstrate the loose leash walking in class on Saturday and did such a nice job. The American Bulldog who went before him would barely budge, but Lucky knowing a treat was coming up was happy to play!! :D

Karlin & Nicki - I am still interested in finding out a little more about the Rolls Royce of Leashes - I'd love to know the brand name of that bungee lead!

Thanks everyone!! :thnku:

:dogwlk:

Cathy, that story about the cookies is sooo funny. I'm glad your trainer is so careful to point that out. When we were practicing loose leash walking last weekend (in the store at Petsmart), I actually noticed the trainer did NOT have her hand through the loop. I wanted to call her on it and ask why but I didn't. I might do that next weekend. For me that is a given - 100% of the time. It's the only way to really be safe.

I'm so glad lucky is ok. that was a close one. :yikes

last weekend, i went to my daughter's home in another city to help out after she had surgery, and over three days, i walked Zack and her cavalier Belle numerous times, as they don't have a backyard. I rarely experience walking two because i only have one, and the only times i've walked two was when Belle visited here a couple of months ago. It is quite a challenge. I always use a 26 foot flexi leash with Zack, i use it because i can let him run and frolic, while still having control. If i used a non-flexi long leash (i have a 30 foot one for training) then it would be too hard because it would not retract when he got closer, or if i needed to control him when another person or dog approached. I've never had any trouble holding on to the handle, for me it's very well designed and comfortable and stable, easy to grip. For us, it's a wonderful invention. Strangely enough, when i've dropped it on occasion, Zack stops in place. He thinks if it's on the ground, that means he has to wait. But it rarely happens. Belle has a regular 6 foot leather leash, so i just tried to juggle them when we walked, it was a challenge and if i was doing it on a regular basis, i'd love to get one of those double leashes with the swivel. Where we were walking was on the grounds of a large apartment complex which is off and away from the street. It was just challenging because they'd change sides and i'd have to do all kinds of maneuvers to keep things from getting tangled.

The scary thing for me about the flexi leash is that it can break. The tape one which is less vulnerable does not come in the long length. I'm on my second one now. the first one suddenly broke without warning when we were out walking. I have a little pack with pockets that fits over the flexi leash handle for storing poop pickup bags, and i keep a regular leash in there now as a back up.

About training for recall, I learned about a special class from a couple at the dog park, the class is called Come When Called and is very intensive and is only three sessions, making use of very high value treats and sound effects, some special techniques that i don't know, something to do with the particular way of calling them--when i met them, they had just had the second of three sessions and had come to the park to practice with distractions. They had a big goofy exuberant six month old mixed lab puppy who loved playing with the other dogs and was very involved in play. the owners allowed the dog to play for a while, he was playing with Zack and the owners were telling me about the class. Then, they wanted to practice so the man walked a long distance away from the pup who was engrossed in playing with several dogs, rolling around and play fighting, havign a ball. The man called the dog rather softly. I was amazed to see that dog's head shoot straight up from the gang of dogs, his ears were pricked high, and he turned his head this way and that, looking for the man, and then when he saw him, he ran to him. His reaction to being called one time was instantaneous. After only two sessions. I was like, WOW. Then they allowed him to play some more. And then the man practiced it again, same situation, same thing happened. I got the name of the training school, it's a local parks/nonprofit and not expensive ($35 for the whole course, i think). The couple could not speak highly enough of the trainer, how she knows dogs, how skillfully she interacts with them. They said that this method works best with dogs that are highy food motivated as their dog is. I'm afraid Zack is not highly food motivated, although he is moderately food motivated, he likes treats. But last night, I gave him a zucchini slice while i was cooking which he ate right up. Then, i came into the living room and brought him another slice. I tossed it onto the floor and rather than eating it, he brought it to me to throw again. :?

anyway, the couple said that the purpose of the Come When Called class is safety, it's all about the seriousness of the need for a dog to instantly come when called, it can save their life, and the trainer says that even though giving treats will be intermittent, for the sake of safety, they should probably be used most of the time, to insure the dog will take the command very seriously every time no matter what.

Here is a link to a description of the class.

http://www.wlaotc.com/comewhencalled.htm

I signed up but am waiting for them to schedule one. I guess they're waiting for enough people to sign up. If it doesn't happen soon, i will contact the trainer and see if she will do private lessons. It's such an urgent safety matter. Zack has been trained in recall, and for the past two or three months, he has consistently come when i've called him, both inside and outside (he used to be more resistent inside). so i was very confident in him.. When i arrived at Lisa's on Thursday, i wanted to show off how well Zack heels off lead so i foolishly unclipped his leash, and before i could say "heel," he had taken off running and when i called him, he acted like i didn't exist. as i said, it's on the grounds of a large complex that is far away from any street. Since he had come so consistently previously, i wasn't expecting it at all. He ran far away, right into the arms of a strange man who picked him up and carried him back to me. Poor little guy had just gotten out of the car after a two hour drive and needed to run and play. Dumb mommy.

It was a good wake up call, showing me that for one thing i need to practice more with the 30 foot leash using treats, and also, i want to take that class for sure. I spoke to Zack's trainer about the incident and he said partly it's because Zack is still a puppy mentally, and you can't always expect them to act mature at this age but that he will continue to get more reliable as he gets older--but that will be gradual. What i saw that puppy do at the park appeared very reliable, especially considering there had only been two sessions, and they are twice a week, so that is a very short time to learn such a good skill. With ongoing practice, i think a puppy trained with that method, whatever it is, will be reliable on recall. Maybe intensive come when called classes are available elsewhere as well.

I think recall is THE most important command there is and I start teaching it in a simple way at 8 weeks - as soon as I bring a pup home. Then I brainwash them with it every day from then on, little sessions through the day. I love having mine off lead whenever we can so recall is vital. As they grow up I find that a whistle calls them in extremely effectively so it worth training to that too - just a whistle with the lips I mean, not a bought dog whistle. And always always always make the return to Mum wonderful! Treats, praise, hugs, toy, whatever. NEVER tell off when they return - whatever naughty doggy thing they may have done before coming to you.

I agree about the adolescent stage - one needs to very patient but insistent at times.

Re the flexis - I suppose my rule of thumb is to use them where a lead is not 100% vital, just desirable, so that if they slipped/broke/etc. it would not be totally disastrous. And I always carry plain leads in my bag too.

Back