• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need Advice on new Digital Camera

:? :? :? I've read :cffee: and re read :cffee: all the above posts and I still don't know which camera (if any) I should get :bang:
So !! I have a Canon Powershot G2 but I would like to get something a bit better. As I have Champagne taste but only a beer budget I wish only to spend $300 or less . So pleeeeaaaaasseee can somebody help me?????

I want to take close ups/ landscapes and group shots .
Oh! and I also want to do that thingy with the light metering -that's cool .

{{{{{{{{{{TREVOR!!!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

When I'm calling you ou ou ou ou ou ou ou !!!!!!!! :D
:flwr: :flwr:

Hi claire ,
Do you intend to enlarge your photographs ? If you dont 4 million pixels on the G2 are enough to give you great photographs up to 7x5 . the G2 has a very high quality lens and CCD . Make sure your file size is set to large and the picture quality set to superfine . If there is a tiff setting use it . Invest in a wide angle adapter or teleconversion adapter or macro adapter and an external flash if you dont have one . all Canon brand . also lots of memory cards for the big file sizes . Set white balance to auto for most applications and ISO to 100 for maximum sharpness . The cameras on the market aroung € 300 at the moment are . Fuji Z3 , Olympus mju 700 , Olympus FE200 , Canon ixus i5 zoom , ixus i7 zoom , nikon l1 I ( I think ) . While they are all great digital cameras the canon G range comes from a range of pro sumer cameras aimed at an entheuasist , and has all the settings mannually available . The € 300 budget will not stretch to this and I feel you would be reducing your camera quality .
Save up and buy another G next christmas will probably hit G10 by then .
Hope this helps
Mimi

Thanks for that info Mimi -it's a great help :flwr:
There isn't really anything wrong with my Canon G2 except that there are so many different settings on it and I can never remember them so, I have to have the manual with me at all times :lol:

I just figured that because I'll be in the US for Christmas, it would be a great opportunity to get a new one. I love new gadgets and as soon as I saw this thread I thought Yep! I'll get me one too.

What I really need to do is take some photography lessons and maybe then I'll be able to master all this shutter speed/ aperture, light metering , white balance etc :lol: but that's for another day icon_whistling

My son in law has just mailed me and he said that if I were to buy online and have the camera sent to his house then I would save on taxes (6% in CT) so I'm gonna look online later tonight AND the handsome {{Trevor}}} is going to advise me also - aren't I the lucky girl!!!

:flwr: :flwr:
Claire

Back