• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Gooey eyes

G

Gillian

Abby has been waking up with gooey eyes. Any suggestions on eye drops./?

Hi Gillian, if Abby never had gooey eyes before you might want to have the vet look at her to rule out an eye infection. :flwr:

Otherwise -- if there's nothing like an infection causing the goo (and it is important to check if this is a totally new development) -- it is fairly normal for them to get some white goo first thing in the morning. They don't need drops, just wipe it away carefully with your thumb or a damp cotton pad.

I've been warned , by a vet, to use kitchen roll and not cotton wool, as tiny fibres can come loose and irritate the eye.

Joly and Teddy used to have gooey eyes first thing, but the goo was clear and only slightly white. Yellow or other coloured goo is caused by infection and needs immediate treatment.

Thanks for advice. It is whitish and seems to be mostly in the morning when she wakes up. I do wet a small round makeup ,cotton pad and wipe it off. She has had it before but not all the time. I will keep and eye, ha ha, on it and take her to the vet if it looks yellowy or gets worse.
Thanks again,
Gillian

Im not sure if you are aware but the goey eye thing is a bit of a cavalier trait, I clean the boys eyes up to three time a day. Regular cleaning (just with warm water) all so helps to prevent staining.

Im not sure if you are aware but the goey eye thing is a bit of a cavalier trait, I clean the boys eyes up to three time a day. Regular cleaning (just with warm water) all so helps to prevent staining.
yeah thats what i thought...is that what you mean..like excessive tearing??? or is it really gooey...because my Monty tends to tear a lot but the only time i have had "gooey" eyes is when Milo got scratched and when i saw him his eyes were VERY gooey...i agree, take her to the vet if it gets bad or worse

I think it's down to large eye surface needing cleaning and tears being thicker when you're asleep. Teddy and Izzy have larger eyes than my other two (See avatar) and they are the only two who get gooey morning eyes. Only Izzy has tear staining, though.

Thanks for replies it seems to be better today but she doesnt get much tearing just gooey stuff once in a while.
Kayla gets the tearing quite a bit.
I always wipe their eyes everyday.
This just seemed to be a lot more goo than usual and I thought maybe some eye drops might help.
As I said its a bit better now so thanks for listening and advice.

Gillian

My lot have sleepers in the morning and it they are chewing will tear, but anything, like goo or other discharge I would normally speak to the vets, as it may be a small infection or conjuntivistus (sorry about spelling).... ;)

eye staining

I have a 7month Cav and she is starting to have eye staining under her eyes. Is there anything I can use or do to avoid this?

King usually wakes up wit goo only on his left eye (white in color) but go figure why it's only 1 eye not both.

For the stain removal there are plenty of products to get rid of the stains: Eye Envy, Angel Eyes, 8in1 tear Clear, etc. there are so many it would take me probably bout 10 mins to name them all... Go to ur local pet store and ask which product they recommend, they all pretty much work the same. You just have to be persistant with it, you can't forget to do it for a couple of days then it wont work to the fullest

Back