• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Trimming between the toes

Katie

Being new to all this and never having groomed a dog in my life, I would be glad of advice on when and how to trim my puppy's pads as I believe I should. I have been persuaded to buy a battery-operated trimmer. She is slip-sliding all over the paper in her ex-pen.

I just snip the hair with ordinary scissors. i cut just about level with the pads, so they aren't covered, not down between the pads or the delicate skin could get nipped..

We have never done any of ours, they even seem fine on the wooden floors we have. We did buy a pair of scissors from Pets at Home in case we do need to do this do, they have a rounded end so we cannot hurt them.

Hey i hear you. :? I never groomed a dog either, however, we did buy some electric clippers at the pet supply store. I decided that i could trim the bottom hair from his paws. I had my husband hold Riley on his lap with Riley laying in his back. We made sure to have a really good chew treat for Riley to focus on while on his back, that worked great! So while Riley was occupied and my husband had him securely held, i went to work on trimming the hair off the bottom of his paws. It wasn't easy but i made sure not to get too near the pads and just clipped all the hair on the bottom a lot shorter. Maybe it wasn't grooming salon quality but it works and Riley didn't really seem to mind as long as he had his really good chewie. :D I trim anytime he seems to be sliding around too much on the tiles and hardwood.
Good luck! (y)

Claire said:
. We did buy a pair of scissors from Pets at Home in case we do need to do this do, they have a rounded end so we cannot hurt them.

I have some too - I trim round about every two months - keeps the hair between the toes not to long so keep the mud and sticky bees down to a minimum)

Ps. sticky bees - they are the little green balls which have a coating like velcro that come off plants!

Down here we have sand spurs...I am not sure if they are the same but Duncan and Arthur get into them ALL the time. I feel terrible because they hurt so bad and my little boys just hold their paws up to me to help them.

Ugh, I hear you on the issues with sandspurs... we also have the "sticky buds" (aka begger weeds aorund here). They are just aweful! They stick to everything but at least they don't hurt like the sandspurs. It's like having dozens of splinters. :?

Just did mine tonight, I too just trim down to make sure the pads are not covered.

Pippin doesn't mind but Gus,well I don't like to tell tales,but lets just say lots of coaxing,and crying icon_whistling

I understand the need to trim, my tri boy has an afro and his hair grows so quick, he has feet like a shetland pony. I would follow the advice given, definately try and have two people (one to hold and distract) and a good treat to make it a positive experience and again to distract. Do be careful though as the feet are almost webbed and the skin between the toes quite delicate so maybe just tidy up the surface, not too short.

Also I do believe from personal experience the more you do this the quicker and thicker the hair grows back.

Katie said:
Being new to all this and never having groomed a dog in my life, I would be glad of advice on when and how to trim my puppy's pads as I believe I should. I have been persuaded to buy a battery-operated trimmer. She is slip-sliding all over the paper in her ex-pen.
I have those little battery operated trimmers, too! I trim the hair between their pads regularly to prevent my cavs from slipping on the hard floors. Whenever I trim their nails (every 3 weeks) I trim their pads, if needed.

You have to brush and oil them after each paw or 2! And keep extra batteries around. :flwr:

i havent trimmed my dogs paws yet!!! they are 11 months old now and i havnt done it...is this bad????
can any problems occur from not trimminG??? i never noticed that they had toomuch hair on their feet but i guess i never looked properly :?

that's all very helpful. Has anyone else found that they grow back more hairy if you do it frequently?

Just done my pups last night. They are not terribly hairy yet but I thought I would get them used to it at an early age. They are both fine about having their nails done by me. I just took the hair down to the level of the top of the pads and did it when they were fairly sleepy so they were in cuddly mood and did not fuss at all. I found the tips you have all given very useful. I just did it with small 4" sewing scissors, the blades are sharp but no sharp tips.

Nisha said:
i havent trimmed my dogs paws yet!!! they are 11 months old now and i havnt done it...is this bad????
can any problems occur from not trimminG??? i never noticed that they had toomuch hair on their feet but i guess i never looked properly :?

Only trim if it needs doing. Some dogs wear the hair away naturally. I do it mainly to prevent the 'mop's carrying too much mud.

When I do my boys 'underpaws' I sit on the floor, legs outstretched and upend a dog between my legs, changing him head or tail towards me for front or back paws. I find that tickle tum then distracts them from remembering that cavaliers are very ticklish on their paws.

Back