• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Storing tinned food?

estelle

This may sound really dumb but how are you supposed to store tins of food once opened? I've been putting them in the fridge but on the label it says feed at room temperature, and it doesn't say "keep Refridgerated".
I always use one of those special doggy lids on the tin but it somehow just doesn't feel right leaving it out of the fridge :sl*p:
What does everyone else do?
BTW Charlies on Butchers - He seems to be doing well on it too??
Thanks

I do leave some in a tin, occasionally, but only put it in the fridge in warm weather-mainly becasue tall tins are difficult to fit in. If it's Butchers, my lot don't care what temperature it's at.

Instructions for tinned food are that you should not store in the actual tin, but decant into a suitable container eg glass dish, due to chemical changes once the tin is open. Mind you we are always leaving the odd half tin of beans, with no ill effects.

thanks for that information barbara - I never thought of that. Kosmo gets a bit of canned food every now and then and i've been just throwing tinfoil over the top and storing it back in the fridge. . . I guess I should be putting it in a tupperware.!!

So if I Chose to leave it out (but covered) Charlie wouldn't get food poisoning or anything :yikes - I mean is it safe to do that?? He's got a bit of a sensitive tummy and maybe he'd prefer it not ice cold!!

food storage

My breeder has prescribed only 1 tbsp of tinned meat combined with 1 tbsp of fresh mince per meal for my puppy, which would be tricky in terms of storing most of a tin over about 5 days; so I decided to try freezing it, which has worked really well.

I freeze both the fresh mince and the tinned (separately) on greaseproof paper on a plate in portion sizes and then bung them in a bag. I pop one of each out and defrost in the microwave (2 mins) - bingo! I got the idea from the hours of pureeing food for my babies and storing in the freezer in portion sizes. It's a bit of a fiddle to do the freezing, but it's pretty instant to serve, and I have never been keen on the open tin thing in the fridge. I believe the metal oxidises once open and affects the food...

Having said all that, I have only been at this a week and am already considering the dried stuff as I find the smell a bit hard to take first thing in the morning!

I found the smell of the dried food worse!!! :yuk:
I've got nearly a whole bag of Royal Canin left over (Charlie couldn't eat it) the bag is rolled over tightly at the top and I can still smell it as I walk into the kitchen!!!

We give the lads a can of Merrick wet (Grammy's Pot Pie) everyday, mixed with Merrick TurDucken dry. I open the can in the morning and use half, then put the other half in a plastic storage thingy in the fridge. In the evening, Jean warms that in the microwave before mixing.

KC

estelle said:
I found the smell of the dried food worse!!! :yuk:
I've got nearly a whole bag of Royal Canin left over (Charlie couldn't eat it) the bag is rolled over tightly at the top and I can still smell it as I walk into the kitchen!!!

Estelle,

If you're not going to use this food then why not donate it to one of the rescues or put it onto your local freecycle group?

I've been getting rid of loads of bits and pieces through freecycle and it saves a lot of things going into landfill :D (y)

Back