• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

0 Postings...

Claire

Was just looking through the Memberlist and did a sort by posting, and was amazed that there are 430 members that have never posted (we have 876 members as a total) - do any of the old ones get deleted???

I imagine there are a lot of lurkers who read the forum and don't post because they're shy or for other reasons, but 430 is hard to believe.

Just imagine if all the people on the forum ordered a calender? Ohh my that sure would make Karlin's rescue bank balance go into the red

merlinsmum said:
Just imagine if all the people on the forum ordered a calender? Ohh my that sure would make Karlin's rescue bank balance go into the red

I don't understand-- why would this make the bank balance go into the red???

On one busy mail list i've been on for years, but haven't posted or even read the mail in years, i remember they used to report that only a tiny percentage of the people who are signed up as members actually post, and i've heard that about another much smaller list that i'm on, and i'm on a forum with a huge membership, many thousands, and it's clear the just a small number relative to the whole membership ever post, even though it's a very busy forum with lots of conversation and posting. The proportion of posters on Cavaliertalk is relatively high compared to these other examples i'm familiar with.

icon_blshing I would be one of those lurking no posters!

I imagine there are a lot of lurkers who read the forum and don't post because they're shy or for other reasons

There is so much information to take in on this site that it takes a while for people to get around to posting!

That reminds me I had better introduce myself! icon_whistling

I am one of those non-posting people, too. I found this forum few months ago and I am still reading and reading and reading. You are all just wonderful and here is so many information. I have been happy for the good things that had happened to you and your cavaliers, and sometimes I have been in tears for some sad things. I lost my first cav puppy, sweet tri girl Minnili, in summer because of some unknown neurological reason. I have been grieving and seaching for answers. I am sure, there will be new cavy friend for me soon. But so far I have been just silent member of this wonderful community. And a little shy because english is not my native language. icon_blshing
:lotsaluv:

Welcome Jana..... I am sorry to hear about your loss, and hope you will soon find another Cav to rule your heart. Your english is probably better than mine... :lol:

icon_welcome from me and my boys too. I'm really sorry to hear about your loss, and I hope you soon find another little angel to love very soon :flwr:

Don't worry about your English, if they understand me, they understand anyone :lol: icon_whistling

Anyway, your English looks fine to me :flwr:

welcome jana. i'm sorry for the loss of your sweet puppy. i hope you will find answers. it's hard enough to lose such a precious little one, but to lose without knowing why is harder to make peace with. the vet doesn't know what was wrong?

Welcome Jana. So very sorry about your loss. At least you have some great memories.

I have given quite a few people the address for this site. Some with Cavaliers and some without. I've always told them what a great educational site it is and to just lurk if they don't feel comfortable posting.

Thank you all!
Yes, it has been hard loss. Minnili was showing in every way, that she was going to be the most wonderful dog I ever had. She brought lot of love with her and changed our lives!

But one midday my healthy looking happy little friend woke up in seizure, councious and frightened. I tried everything I knew, (incl homeopathy, diazepam shot etc) but she could not relax for 2 hours. She could not totally recover, her condition got slowly worse and worse. And she passed away in university vet clinic in midnight, 1,5 days after the first shock. I know I did really everything to help her. This clinic, hundreds on km-s away, was my last hope.
It has been really heartbreaking for all of us. My smallest daughter was unbelievably brave and wise comforting her little friend and actually preparing her for death. :(
The reason will probably remain unknown. My vet and the university neurologist said, they had never seen a spaniel with these symptoms. The vets and I do not see, it could have been epilepsy, vaccination problem (she had got no shots yet, because in summertime we live alone in forests, with big safe garden... I really like the idea of letting a child or a puppy get a little stronger before first vaccination), allergy reaction on food etc (she digested everything well and I was very careful with her, and she had got nothing new in weeks). Her blood tests did not show signs of infection. So it seems most likely to be some inherited neurological problem. Episodic falling syndrome seems to have the most similar signs of what had happened to Minnili.
On the autopsy report they say that the reason might have been just everything.

Oh, I understand I have to take some time and write here my introduction and Minnili´s story. Please, be patient, I am afraid I cannot do it today ;)

Judy, I just read your comments on vacc issue. I am really interested in more holistic care of dogs, homeopathyc treatment, alternatives to common vaccinations etc. Probably I have to get lot of knowledge and good books before I am able to get another cavalier.
Hope to find information and supporters here :)

Jana

Welcome and sorry about your little Minnili. I have a little tri girl named Hope Sassafrass who will be 2 in January. She presented with her first myoclonic episode at about 4 months of age. She had typical Episodic Falling Snydrome symptoms until a couple months after she was spayed at 7 months of age. The good thing is her episodes were infrequent. She had a couple of myoclonic "seizure" type episodes after the spaying but now at almost 2 yrs she has not had any episodes since then. I do not give her any vaccinations other than the required rabies. I do not know if it was the spaying or the early vaccinations she received but all seems well now knock on wood. I do know I plan on no further vaccinations for her. I hope another sweet cavalier comes into your life soon.

So sorry to hear about your little Minnili I have got a ruby his name is Barney hopeing that you will soon have another little angel but take your time until you are ready and welcome---Aileen

Jana said:
....Judy, I just read your comments on vacc issue. I am really interested in more holistic care of dogs, homeopathyc treatment, alternatives to common vaccinations etc. Probably I have to get lot of knowledge and good books before I am able to get another cavalier.
Hope to find information and supporters here :)

jana--i never thought of holistic health care for a dog until i got zack last january, he was sick when i first got him so i had to deal with the issue of health care more than i had ever dreamed. there were many times i thought i was going to lose him, four vets i saw had no clue what was wrong. lots of medicines, many tears, lost sleep, and terrible stress during that first few weeks. Fortunately he fully recovered, thanks to a 5th vet.

i have found so much stuff on the web, many different points of view, stuff i never knew about before, like you say, there's a lot to learn, and lots of things don't have clear final answers (imo). vaccination is definitely one of those subjects.

One of the first internet sources on holistic dog care i stumbled on was the Beyond Vaccination email discussion list. There are people participating who do and don't vaccinate depending on individual circumstances, and all kinds of positions in between, and it's a friendly respectful discussion where experiences and information are exchanged. There are raw diet practitioners and advocates, I had never heard of raw feedling until i found that list. There are also many on the list who don't feed raw. The list owner insures that all points of view are respected and people are treated kindly, like this forum.

here's a link to the beyond vaccination list owner's website, the page has a holistic care index, and on the right side of the page there's a place to subscribe to the mail list.

http://www.caberfeidh.com/HHC.htm

There are a number of people on cavaliertalk who are caring for their dogs holistically, more or less. i like when they pass on tips about things that help for them. i got some good recommendations for healing remedies for neutering for example.

Back