• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

7 month old Henry behavioral questions

mt0382

Hi everyone, my name is Marisa and I have a 7 month old pup named Henry. Henry is a real sweetheart, he loves to meet new people and is always extra friendly to other animals. I have 2 cats that Henry is fascinated with and they typically get along. However he seems to be quite headstrong and extremely territorial when he really gets into playing with othe dogs. His best friend is a 1 yr old cocker named Apollo, and we often let them spend time in each other's apartments to play. Henry seems to always try and bite onto apollo's ears and does not like it at all when apollo tries to play with a toy, whether it be his or apollo's. Sometimes Henry will even growl or bark at Apollo. I often have to hide all the toys when they are playing. Henry has no down time at all, even when Apollo is making is clear that he just wants to rest a minute. Is this just a puppy thing? Henry seems like a completely different dog sometimes when it is just me him and the cats. I don't know what to do because I don't want Henry to hurt Apollo's ears or Apollo's owners to be cautious of Henry. What could I do training wise to let Henry know that it is ok to share? Also, Henry is not fixed yet- does this have anything to do with his rowdy behavior? Other than that, Henry has a very quirky personality and makes me laugh every day. I just posted some puppy pictures up of him ... tell me who can resist that face!!!
Thanks for reading this!!!!!!!!!! Marisa

This just seems like a puppy trying to figure out the pecking order. My Cody chews on Wesley's ears like there is no tomorrow. My shih tzu does too. I really don't think his ears are that tasty, but I think they know it is aggravating and are just testing their limits. They do this with toys too. Wesley has the toy, Cody and stewie bark like madmen, or growl and try to take it. I don't interfere unless they get too rowdy, but they really are just playing. The older dogs will usually set the puppy straight and let them know what the limits really are. I would just make sure that you are there to supervise in case they get too rough.

Henry seems like he has lots of energy and is really thankful for Apollo's company. (Cats are great, but they just don't have what it takes to wear out a puppy). Teaching him how to fetch would be a great way to burn him out. Long walks and jogs work well too :D

I think a training class would work very well for this little guy..sounds like he has a very confident and outgoing nature and is testing his limits with you all!

This 7-12 months is a testing "Teenage" time! he thinks he owns the world and it has no boundries...WRONG! get him to a class, a good trainer will give you tips and training ideas for him after watching his own personality. All dogs are so different, you will see this when you start to work in a mixed class.

Is he getting out for daily walks and runs to release his energy? at least twice a day...Also watch what food you feed, treats are mostly full of rubbish and can make him quite excitable (all the coulors and additives etc) let us know how you get on :flwr:

Alison, wilts, U.k.

Back