• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

cardboard eaters

sannie

hmmm.. My Max just loves to chew empty toilet roll holders, the cardboard bit that the actually toilet paper is rolled on (I'm sure there's an official name for them) Anyway - i let him - he actually gets very, very excited by the sight of one :yikes .
Anyway I got to thinking now because he's arrived in the bedroom all happy and excited by the one he now has, if it's actually alright for him to eat this - he does actually chew and swallow some of it..
i know there are many other much more dangerous things he could eat, (recent trip to emergency hospital with half eaten ant trap - say no more)
But all in all - does other cav's owners do this?

Jake loves to eat cardpaper tp rolls. I let him to a point...and then I take it away. It's never given him a problem. He tends to eat it like gum...chews on it a while, maybe actually ingests a little, and then spits it out and get a fresh piece! :?

belle loves those, and generally shreds them and leaves the pieces about the house. Knowing that, i always threw them away throughout zack's life so he doesn't really know about them. i didn't want him eating them so he's never had one to chew.

my two never actually eat cardboard..they just rip and shred it into tiny pieces (making it all the more hard to clean up :roll: ) and then leave it alone..they occasionally chew it but never swallow..i dont think it could do much harm if they did swallow it

hi

charlie likes to get the toilet rolls and eat them and molly will rip any carboard box to bits and then walk away for me to clean it up :)

Teddy has never come to any harm, but he's lost interest now, because toilet roll and kitchen roll middles don't or didn't contain food.

When training Izzy some people taking the classes suggested getting him to retrieve a toilet roll middle, as it was light. However, he has always refused to even touch them. I think it's something to do with the chemically smell that even I can detect.

Big treat for my springers war to utterly wreck a huge cardboard box from the supermarket.

Mine loves cardboard too, boxes, toilet paper/paper towel rolls, even just paper he finds like advertisements and receipts. :sl*p: I have to watch him though, he does actually eat it! Silly boy. :roll:

At work some of the boxs have small retanglar holes in to ventilate the items inside and some times they are not always cut out properly which means the little pieces of cardboard fall on the floor, Toby adores running around and hunting for these, i do try and stop him but as you all know Cavvies are very strong willed!!!

I often give them as treats! Unless he's swallowing really large pieces of cardboard in chunks I don't think it's a worry.

Mine love a large empty cerial box with a few bits of kibble thrown in at the bottom.....then stand it upright and watch....look at the brains ticking over as to how they can get it out once they smell it in there...hours of fun :lol: :lol: :lol: ..Whitney normally ends up IN the box :lol: :lol: :lol: and then it usually gets pulled apart everywhere!

Alison, Wilts, U.k.

Both the girls love those silly things. But our Bulldog, Rudy is mad for them! I think it all started because DH would use it like some kind of trumpet and make all kinds of noises into it. Rudy becomes totally demented to get at it. Of course, the girls follow whatever he does. Now I just pray I get to the empties first! It isn't pretty around here when the "trumpeting" begins. Shredded, slimey cardboard is flung onto every available surface. Guess who cleans it up? They do have a wonderful time for a few short minutes.

The girls are also partial to any paper left within reach. They love to shred it and then walk away. Poor Rudy used to get the blame as he typically will check out the quality of their work. I think I posted a picture of him earlier in the middle of a mess - here it is again. This is NOT his work but that of the two little darlings.

DSCN0815.jpg

OMG! After I took a good look at the above pic, I realized that it was Beatrice in the photo with Rudy - NOT Fauna and Flora! I know I have one of the girls that looks virtually the same. Can't believe Bea's been gone a year now. Her spirit must live on as they do the same things she did - just lots more! :lol: Think I'll go check the status on all the toilet dispensers in the house. . .

JaneB

My lot love toilet roll holders, kitchen roll holders, the coke bottle trays, etc.... I just think they like making a mess.... :yikes

Jane,

I could just smother your Rudy's face in kisses, he's so adorable :flwr: When i was a kid I spent most of my time on my Aunt and Uncle's farm, their best friends had a Bulldog called Winston and he and I became best buds - Rudy looks so much like him :l*v:

I can just imagine him getting the blame for everything the girls do and just thinking to himself 'Here we go again, lie quietly and ignore them and they'll go away' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That pic is precious! I used to want a bulldog so bad, but changed my mind when they were usually over $1000. Now look at me! Cavaliers are not a cheap habit either! :roll: In fact, my 2 cost me way more than any bulldog I ever looked at :lol:

Back