• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

why is it??

lily

That lily will never poo in her crate yet she wees in in. Granted not all the time though the odd night she'll pee a bit. I know shes still a baby but why do 1 & not the other??? :?

Maybe she cant hold pee long enough ?

Puppies will usually not mess their crate unless they have had no choice or the crate is too large.

Its a long time since I had a pup but I remember I never shut the crate door on a night because I didnt want her to learn to use her bed.
She was only 2lb & could never had held it in over night

crate is the medium size.....(64) H (77) W & (D) 54....

pleanty of room & not to be that she feels isolated as she happily snuggles up to her teddy & her blanket.. considering her age shes brill & guess once she starts going out more she may hold it longer. I'm not complaining she only does it ona morning probley as i dont get down to her quick enough...

lily said:
That lily will never poo in her crate yet she wees in in. Granted not all the time though the odd night she'll pee a bit. I know shes still a baby but why do 1 & not the other??? :?
If Lily is just a few weeks old, you'll need to get up and take her out to wee halfway through the night. Does she cry to be taken out?

Your crate is rather large for toilet training. If you are in the uk, how about a plastic dog carrier from Argos (The slightly larger, not the cat sized one). That's what I used, overnight, lined with vetbed, so very snug. It's large enough for comfort but not large enough to encourage wandering from the bedding to do a wee.

When people have a large crate, putting in a cardboard box , to reduce the space is suggested, especillay for larger breeds, who will very soon need a larger area.

The carrier is also useful in the car. It fits under a seat belt and if weed in is very easily cleaned and won't leak onto the seat.

lily said:
crate is the medium size.....(64) H (77) W & (D) 54....... I'm not complaining she only does it ona morning probley as i dont get down to her quick enough...

The problem is, if she grows accustom to being allowed to do it, she will just think it's ok, she has no way to know it's not, which may mean you'll have a slower time teaching her to consistently go outside. having her develop the habit to never go in her crate, by having it small enough and letting her out often enough is what makes crate training a useful method to teach them never to go in the house. how old is she again?

zack could spend the whole night, 8 hours, in his crate by the time he was about 15 weeks, that's when i got him, maybe he could do it even before that, he was already learning before i got him. He was 8 pounds at the time. they are so still and not active during the night, they can hold it longer than in the day, but they need motivation to hold it, and that's where having a crate small enough so that it violates their reluctance to soil their space comes in.

Back