• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How old are cavaliers when they start to bark?

mishmosh

Mine is 9 weeks and is quiet as anything! Apart from the odd growl when he's playing with his cuddly toys!

We got Pixie at 10 weeks, and it was a good 6-10 weeks before she began to bark. We wondered if she'd ever bark! Ha!! Now we call her Miss Barks-A-Lot. icon_whistling

Holly didn't bark much until she was five months or so. Amber has squeaked and growled and yipped and howled while playing from day one, but she hasn't barked at anything external in the way Holly does.

as far as I can recall -you have to teach them to speak!
When Rudee was a few months old I was toilet training her and I told her that she had to speak"woof" I kept doing this at the back door each time she wanted to go out and one day she just gave a very squeaky "woof" and that was the start of our many conversations -I loved it!!! :flwr:

Cody communicates in many other ways than barking. He mouths a growl and a moan, but the only time he really barks is when he and Wesley are heavily playing (especially when Wesley has the prefered toy.) He does a really funny open mouthed growl when he really wants something. He has never barked outside of play time. He is really layed back! :D

I think Jake was born barking! :shock: My breeder warned me when he was just a few weeks old that he was already very vocal. She was also very good at showing him that his behavior would not get him the attention he was seeking. Hmmm....he never did learn that lesson!

My first girl, Beatrice, was 18 months old before she uttered her first bark. And rarely did so unless asked to "speak." Fauna talks, and has since she was 12 weeks old, rather than barks, kind of a woooowooowooo, it is too funny. Then came the sweet, perfect (looking) runt that Bruce warned me would make up for her size in other ways. At about four months she became a yapper!! Bark to go out, bark to come in, bark if she wants someone else's toy, bark at the animals outside the window - get the picture? And she was the shy, quiet one of the litter. She understands shhh and hush but only for the moment. Timeouts don't work either. Guess she just needs to express herself.

JaneB

We have a 4 week old boy right now that barks every now and then when he's playing. Along with a little play growling. Some of our adults are very quiet and some are very vocal.

If your puppy isn't barking, count your blessings :D

Bark to go out, bark to come in, bark if she wants someone else's toy, bark at the animals outside the window - get the picture? And she was the shy, quiet one of the litter. She understands shhh and hush but only for the moment. Timeouts don't work either. Guess she just needs to express herself.

Yeah I get the picture- thats my Pippin!

I'm with Bruce on the 4 week thing! I went to see my puppy for the first time last week and him and his littermates were all about 4.5 weeks. They could do the cutest little squeek for a bark! Sounded like a mouse!

It took Coco about a week to first bark with us. I think she just needed to get comfortable with us and in the new environment. She rarely barked the first month we had her though. She barks a bit more now though- she's definitely come out of her shell! :flwr:

well when i visited my pups when they were 5 weeks old at one point monty when over and was sort of yipping with his parents at a motorbike that had driven past the house...but after i brought him hom he only started barking (more like squeaking) at around 12 weeks...i only occasionally heard a little woof out of milo now and then..same story now..,.when i first heard milo bark i was so shocked because he sounded like an old man barking! it was such a weird bark,..but that changed and he barks normally

Cathy T said:
I think Jake was born barking! :shock:

:lol: sounds just like Dexter!!

Oscar on the other hand didnt bark for months, and when he did it was a very deep grown up bark. Even now he sounds really fierce when he barks, anyone that didnt know his sweet soppy nature would think he was a big brute of a dog - not the dog that likes to sleep on the bed with his head on the pillow :lol:

Monty, who is very placid, didn't bark until about 7 months. We were driving through a village whose road narrowed into a chicane and as we emerging from thisa man on a pedal bike came past the car; very close because he'd come through the chicane. Monty barked because hewas so near the car and I nearly jumped out ofmy skin.

I saw a litter of tri puppies where a bitch was barking soon after her eyes were open. She barked at her brothers and for attention. When she went to her new home , at 9 weeks, she marched in and took over rulling the adult dogs there.

I get the excited "Wow wow wow" like a chaty bark when on walks etc and I get the "Woo, woo, woo" alarm bark with birds in the garden etc but I havn't yet heard a full on dog bark from her........yet :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whitney is three.

Alison, Wilts, U.K

get the excited "Wow wow wow" like a chaty bark when on walks etc and I get the "Woo, woo, woo" alarm bark with birds in the garden etc
:lol: yea same here.... :) i love your imitations of the dogs ;) :lol:

Sally who is 5 months old has only started barking now, thats because she is copying Sam. When i heard Sam barking the first few times it really frightened me, thought it was a rottie behind me :yikes even now when im not expecting it, the bark still startles me. :D

Well for about 1 month Riley was a quiet boy (we got him at 10 1/2 weeks old). By the time he was 3 months old he gave his first real bark. After that, he decided he really liked his voice and uses it a lot!! :roll: All i can say is he is a very vocal boy. And i swear he has the loudest bark for such a small dog.

Merlin didn't bark til he was about 6 months, and then it was just at the lady who lives across the road (he doesn't like her going into her own house! :roll: ) whilst Oakley at 11 weeks was in the garden woooowwoooowoooing at everything, he also shouts at me for his dinner! - cheeky little chap :D

Back