• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hello from Minnesota!

Just wanted to introduce myself and ask for some help from all of you. I've been quietly lurking a bit, but hadn't seen my current problem mentioned. My sweet nearly 1 and a half year cavalier girl has now peed on the bed 3 times in the last 2 weeks. She had peed in her kennel, but putting in the divider and making it a bit more geared to her tiny 10-pound size seems to help with that. It isn't incontinence as she wakes up, walks to the foot of the bed, pees, and curls back up at the head of the bed with us all while we're asleep. We take her out at 10PM each night and 7am each morning, which seems to me to be reasonable for a night-time span. Anyone have any similar problems or advice? Thanks much - and what a great site! Also, she's very very timid if that matters...though she's never had this issue before (we got her nearly 3 months ago).

Welcome! I'm afraid I won't be much help...since I still have issues with my 3 year old. But I do know what her problem is...when she doesn't get the attention she wants she'll pee on something.... :shock:

Your little one is adorable. What is her name?

Thanks! Her name is Rowan. I'm happy to give her attention, just every once in a while - say late at night - I like to sleep. And then of course in the morning when I'm less bleary-eyed, I look into her brown eyes and just melt. Sigh. I think we're going to try keeping her in her kennel at night for a week or two (right next to my side of the bed), and see how that goes.

Welcome, fellow Minnesotan!! That's a very cute little girl you have there. I think you're on the right track in working on the crate training.

BTW, be sure to keep an eye on this board. We try to get a couple Cavalier Gatherings together every year. I think we must be just about due with summer at an end.

Hello and welcome!

My Spencer like to pee in the middle of the night too, thank heavens not on my bed, but he has his favorite spot on my rug. I try to keep his water intake to a minimum after 8pm and of course always take him out before bedtime. He is also a year and a half old.

How is she during the rest of the day? Does she squat often or act like it pains her to urinate? If so, she may have developed a UTI.

Best of luck! :flwr:

Thank you everyone - she's been vet-checked and no signs of anything in the pee (infection, diabetes, etc.). We do restrict her water towards bedtime (say 4 hours before) but have been feeding her about 2-3.5 hours before bedtime, which I think we'll move farther away. She did stay dry in her kennel all night last night, though - which she got lots of praise and cuddles for. :D

Hi and icon_welcome to the board! :jmp2:

I would feed her early enough so that she can have a drink of water after she eats. My cavs always drink water after eating.

Hi there! I'm next door in Wisconsin. I have the same problem you do, so I won't be of much help either I'm afraid. My Bentley is a little over a year and he still pees in the house, and at night he will sometimes pee on the floor at the foot of the bed. Only thing I can think of is to get up in the middle of the night, but when you work full time and get up early (I get up at 5:00 a.m.) getting up is hard when you're fast asleep. I put those puppy pads down tho, and he does use them. But, otherwise, the only other thing I could think of would be to put your puppy in a puppy play pen perhaps? Would she be able to hold it all night in a crate at her age do yo think? They do piddle a lot when they're young and don't have much bladder control and really can't help it.

Back