• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How many meals per day?

Pavane

Barleigh has been on 3 meals a day and is now 4 months today. He does not have enthusiasm for all his meals--and does better after a poo if he has stopped eating. I think he'd probably do better with the same amount of food (a little more than a cup of kibble a day) morning and evening, and perhaps a "snack" like a carrot or biscuit at noon or with training time around then. (We're going to puppy class and they like chicken hot dogs.)

What say the experts?

PS Barkleigh remains the pup with the ironic name since he has yet to utter a single bark! He is the strong silent type.

hello, my puppy was on 3 meals a day, but at 4 months she wasnt too bothered about 3 meals a day, so i put her onto 2 meals, morning and night. she now eats all her breakfast and all her tea, so the 2 meals are just right for her. i do give her snacks throughout the day to keep her going though!

I can't really remember what we did in puppyhood it seems so long ago and so much has happened in between.

I don't really think there is an exact science with regards to feeding your puppy, obviously the first few months there is definately a need for a few meals spread out across the day due to tiny tummies, energy levels etc etc but once beyond this I would just trial and error to find what works for your little individual mate.

I personally feed 2 meals a day and a snack at lunchtime. Its almost like clockwork a meal every 12 hours and a snack in the middle, I'm sure my boys can tell the time as they let me know when its food time.
I think due to the fact cavaliers are little dogs where possible their food should be split into two meals a day so they are never too hungry or too full but that is just me ? So long as your puppy is not hungry or underweight I don't think you can go wrong. just play around a bit and see what works for you. :)

emmawright said:
hello, my puppy was on 3 meals a day, but at 4 months she wasnt too bothered about 3 meals a day, so i put her onto 2 meals, morning and night. she now eats all her breakfast and all her tea, so the 2 meals are just right for her. i do give her snacks throughout the day to keep her going though!

I know this may sound crazy, but do you actually give her tea? Just curious from America.

lol That is so funny that you asked that because I have always been curious about the whole "tea" concept, but I have never been brave enough to ask!! :lol: Is it just an afternoon snack??

"Tea" is a common UK/Irish term for dinner. :) You have a cup of tea to drink any time, but you 'have your tea' at 6pm...

At four months your pup is likely ready to go to two meals and is telling you this. I'd guess you might be giving him a bit more food than he needs -- about a cup max. is usually right for a puppy in total; more than a cup sounds like an awful lot of food for most puppies. Depends on size and metabolism, but you don't want a puppy growing too fast or getting fat.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew you guys had tea in the afternoon, but thought I should be preparing "High Tea" for Lily. :lol: I love to read the different phrases we all use.

well i used to feed my pups three times a day..they went to two meals and now im on one big meal in the morning and a tiny tiny snack at night...i only went to 1 meal a day because it was a bit easier on my schedule and it seemed to work better with my two (but they were about 4 or 5 months older than yours is when they started on one)....but id still recommend feeding two meals a day...i would have done it but it worked out better for me.

haha i never realised that they didnt use "tea" over there
"Tea" is a common UK/Irish term for dinner. You have a cup of tea to drink any time, but you 'have your tea' at 6pm...
just adding that us aussies use it here like a normal term too!

I fed 3 meals a day until 12 weeks.

At that age both puppies lost interest in the middle meal but wanted more at the other two meals so I switched to 2 meals a day from 12 weeks. They have both been really settled on that - eat up their meals straight away and gain weight beautifully.

Will watch their behaviour as they get older and decide about whether to switch to one meal when they are adult.

Oakley is 4 months on Friday, I'm going to siwtch him onto 2 meals a day as he is messing with his lunch quite a bit now. My theory is that the 3 am poo may stop too......

Breakfast at 7 am - comes out the other end I reckon on the 4 pm poo
Lunch at 12-1 - come out 3 am poo
Dinner(Tea) 6-6.30 pm - comes out next morning at 9 am poo

get rid of lunch - get rid of 3 am poo :D

I will move him over to adult food at about 6 months ish

I fed Darby 3 meals a day until she was about 4 months old... she has been on twice a day meals since, and is doing great!
Hope this helps! :flwr:

Back