• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

sleepless nights, big messes...long post

moniechris

This is terrible. Cody (4 months old) for the past four nights has been having diarrhea in his crate. He cries to be let out, but usually by the time we get there it is too late. IT GETS EVERYWHERE. We have seperated him from the other dogs at night (he is in his own little crate) because the poor other dogs get covered in it.

What is so odd is that he goes all day being corralled in the kitchen with no accidents and no has diarrhea when I get home to let him out. (7am until 4pm) Most days my fiancee comes home at lunch to let the dogs out so he doesn't have to go that long. It is only at night.

I am taking him to the vet tommorrow (the earliest they could see me) but I have put it off because every time during the day he goes out and his poop is normal, so I think the worst is over...until around midnight he his crying agian, covered in poo. The poor baby.

After reading this, maybe I should set my alarm to take him out just before midnight?? But the problem is, we have no lights in our back yard and it gets really dark so he refuses to go. He will tinkle right next to thte door but won't stray any further. Has anyone else been through this??

*gulp* I used to drag Kosmo down the block 2 times at 3 and 4 in the morning because he refused to pee on anything other than grass.. Thank God he became less picky as he got older but it was a pain. I am assuming mr.cody has not been getting anything to eat out of the ordinary?? ALso how many times is he pooping per day? Are his feeding times consistent? Kosmo caught a bug last week and had runny poo for SEVEN days. I was getting up in the middle of the night most every night too.. *he sleeps on my bed.* :sl*p:

Maybe others can offer more advice. :) Good luck@! :)

Cody gets a kong stuffed with kibble (and yogurt or peanut butter) at 7am, 1/2 cup at 4pm and then another half a cup at 8pm.

During the day he only poops a little while after the 4pm. Most of the time I can't get him to go after 8pm...when I take him out he just sits there and looks at me or tries to eat the bird seed that the squirrels have knocked off the feeder. I was thinking maybe this was causing the problem because I have been finding bird seed in his stool. :yuk:

Poor Cody...and poor you! Maybe try moving that last feeding time up a bit earlier. Don't know what else to suggest. But what a mess! Jake has only (knock on wood) done this once...and once was enough!

moniechris said:
Cody gets a kong stuffed with kibble (and yogurt or peanut butter) at 7am, 1/2 cup at 4pm and then another half a cup at 8pm.

During the day he only poops a little while after the 4pm. Most of the time I can't get him to go after 8pm...when I take him out he just sits there and looks at me or tries to eat the bird seed that the squirrels have knocked off the feeder. I was thinking maybe this was causing the problem because I have been finding bird seed in his stool. :yuk:
You might want to try feeding him at 7, noon, and 5-6pm, then take him out several times in the evening before bed.

Also, cut the peanut butter back to just a tiny dab - I've noticed too much fatty food can cuase the runs in my pups. Actually, so could the dairy...

I would keep him away from where birds go, I think our vet told us they can pick up coccidia (causes diarrhea) from bird poop.

oh im so sorry for you and poor cody!! i back up everything the other have said so far..my pups had the runs a whil back but it was 4 a totally different reason (food issues) so i dont really have much else to say..

I would keep him away from where birds go, I think our vet told us they can pick up coccidia (causes diarrhea) from bird poop.
OMG!!!!!! :yikes :yikes :shock: would this by any chance include Duck poo??? please no!

Thank GOD!! We actually made it through the entire night with not even a peep from him!! For dinner we gave him plain kibble, no treats, no peanut butter or anything else. The poor baby just before bed ran into the back of the big kennel as if to say: "please let me sleep with my brother!!!!" I felt so bad for him because. everytime we went into the garage last night he would go in the big kennel (even if we were just taking a potty break)...I guess he really didn't like sleeping alone! I am still going to take him to the vet just in case he picked something up from the birds.

We have ducks across from our front yard, but Cody has never had any contact with them. They stay in the pond on the golf course and never even come close to our yard. People feed them constantly over there so they have no reason to stray.

In the back yard we mostly have squirrels, blue jays and cardinals but I will definitely keep him away from their area.

Thanks guys!!!

Thank GOD huh!!?? Unfortunately I am not as fortunate as you!! I have bene up for the last 2 nights with kosmo!! He will walk on my face until I get up and get him some water.. :roll: Oh and let me add that it has to be "fresh" "cold" water. I think he does this because he stays awake a long time in the night and chews on his bones which probably makes him thirsty. Then I open the door for a quick pee break and it's back off to bed. I had it much easier than you I guess!.. I am glad that Cody seems to be feeling better. :) And glad he finally got to sleep with his brother again. He probably thought you were nuts for making him stay away. :) Good idea double checking to make sure he hasn't caught anything. :) Good luck! :flwr:

I would discuss the brand of food, you are using, with your vet. Some products, sold for puppies, are actually too purging for them. For example , many young puppies find Pedigree puppy pouches too rich, yet, on the other hand, Butchers tripe adult food suits them fine.

As soon as his tummy is completely settled, we are switching him to Wellness venison formula (from the Chicken Soup for the puppy lover's soul that he is on now). He is huge as it is, and the extra protein in the puppy food might be forcing him to grow too fast (as I have read). I really adore the Wellness products but they are just so darn expensive!! I guess I will just quit buying the boys so many gifts online and stow the cash away for good quality food. lol. If they aren't healthy from the inside, superficial toys aren't going to make any difference....

BAAAA!. I just reread that and laughed outloud. :rotfl: Like I am really going to stop buying them stuff. I will just cut my fiancee's clothing budget instead :D

moniechris wrote

BAAAA!. I just reread that and laughed outloud. :rotfl: Like I am really going to stop buying them stuff. I will just cut my fiancee's clothing budget instead :D

:rotfl: :rotfl: That's so funny. You absolutely crack me up. I feed Kosmo innova:evo and that seems to be kind of expensive too. I don't know how it compares to wellness. I pay $20 for a 6.6lb bag but it takes us months to go through it because he only eats 1/2 cup a day so it's alright. ;) You are too funny.

So glad his tummy is better now :flwr: Am I reading that wrongly though or do your babies sleep in the garage ?

Yes, our garage is more like an extension of our house. It is air conditioned, as a couch and has a fully stocked bar (with a kegerator) :D Who parks a car in a garage anyhow? :lol: The dogs love it in there and we leave the door to the house open at night so the cats can come in and out (their food and litter box in in there too.)

Back