• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavs & Bunnies

Remi

I'm just wondering if there is anyone else who has a Cav and a pet rabbit and might be willing to share some advice/stories on how they get along? We're bringing our puppy, Remi, home in a few weeks and I'm a little worried about how my rabbit, Jupiter, will handle it. They'll always be supervised when they are together but I don't want either one to get scared of the other! :p

Thanks! :D

I can't help you there, my boys seem to want to hunt anything that moves. There are lots of people on this site with bunnies if you look under the "cavalier and friends" photo gallery. Maybe you could pm some of those people if you don't get a quick response here :D Good Luck!

We had a hoooooge bunny when we got Maxx. Freddie, our bunny was a big brute to anything that came into our garden and used to chase my neoghbours cats but he and Maxx loved each other from the word go.

Maxx used to wash his ears for him and they'd snuggle up together and go to sleep, Maxx used to get into Freddie's hutch with him too. When Freddie went to the big hutch in the sky, Maxx used to sit by his hutch crying for his friend, he missed him terribly.

All I'd say is watch them together and just be aware that a rabbit is far more of a threat to a puppy that vice versa as they usually nip their noses!!!!

The puppy will probably be in awe of the rabbit anyway :lol:

I have two rabbits who stay in the shed outside and have a run. I never trained Phoebe with them so I have to be extra careful!! But bunny and dog should get on once introduced as a puppy. Lots of rewards for pup when she doesn't move when bunny moves.

I have three bunnies that all live indoors, two are out all day and one is out in the evenings after the others have gone to bed.

Bertie is just over four months and loves to chase them but it's not that bad, it's only every now and then throughout the day that he gets a bit exciteable.

If he has enough excercise on a walk, he hardly bothers with them at all, today, it's been raining and I couldn't get him to go walkies for love nor money so he's been a bit of a handful, specially this evening.

I squirt water at him and say a firm no if he gets too much for them but am trying to avoid the water as I think it might add to his dislike of the rain! lol!

Another option is some pebbles in a can or plastic bottle and shake that and say a firm no, which is another thing I am trying though he seems to think it's a big game! lol!

I guess the best thing is distraction, a favourite toy or something.

It's hard work and you have to be on your toes but I'm sure eventually things will settle down (speaking for myself here as well as you! lol! Still waiting for the calm! lol!).

I'll let you know if I come up with a definite solution to stop any chasing at all but so far, am still trying very hard! lolol!

Alison

Awww.....that is great! I love bunnies as much as love my dogs! I have a 6 year old mini lop houserabbit, and my dogs and my rabbit get along great! When I first got Bentley as a pup, I did keep a leash on him for the first few meetings, just in case, and I never left them alone togther. But now, they all get along so well, they will lay down next to each other. I would say to just keep a close eye on them and not to leave them alone together till you are certain that all is well. Some dogs like to chase the rabbits, but mine never did, and in fact my toy Poodle is afraid of my rabbit, LOL! Bentley will try and lick my rabbit, but that is about all he does. I did keep a very close eye on them tho, like I said, in the beginning, for about a month or so, just to be on the safe side, and when I am gone I make sure that my rabbit is in his cage (he is in my livingroom) and the cage door is secured (I used an extra snap to keep the door closed, just in case).

BentleyandEbonyOct2006-1.jpg

brid kenny said:
So jealous of above photos!!

Yeah, me too. Maxx would love it if I got another rabbit but I'm not too sure of Charlie. When he came to us I was assured that he loved cats - yeah right, more like he loves to scare the heck out of them :roll:

That's the difference between introducing an adult dog, rather than a puppy, to a rabbit :roll:

Aw, those pictures are great! I hope I'll be able to get some good shots of my cav and bunny hanging out! I'll keep you posted on how well they get along! :flwr:

I was just lucky, Bentley doesn't seem interested in going after Ebony at all, and Bailey, my toy Poodle, is scared to death of Ebony....lol!

Keep us posted Remi, and we'd LOVE to see photos!!

aww those pics are so cute!!!! i dont have a rabbit so have no idea how my two would get along..

Renee your rabbit looks quite big (i dont mean fat just big in terms the size of rabbits)!! is it just the photo or is he quite large?? he is so cute!!! haha it would be funny if you were trying to find him at night he must look invisible!

Hi Nisha, no, Ebony isn't really too big, but when he stretches out he is real looooong! LOL! He is about 6 pounds. Kind of a typical mini lop.

Back