Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Electronic Collar, Books, DVDs, I need guidance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Charley's Mom, please try to find an APDT certified trainer (CPDT). They are the best!

Any type of 'punishment' or 'correction' will destroy your dog's trust in you.

I have only worked with APDT trainers since having my cavaliers, and when my husband accidentally left the gate opened twice (!) recently, we called Geordie and he came running right back to us to be picked up and loved!

Most people in my neighborhood have to follow their dogs all over the place to get them back if they get loose.

Positive, reward-based training makes all the difference.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

hello.

Maybe you remeber, that my Annie is whining a lot, for every little thing, but mainly for attention. And a friend told me, that I should by a gentle spray collar, but I really dont know. Her whinig is killing me, and I must admit, that sometimes, after 2 hours of whinig, I should at her and she gets then so scared....
    but would a collar like this solve the problem?

Post Thanks / Like

sometimes, after 2 hours of whinig, I should at her and she gets then so scared.... but would a collar like this solve the problem?
    Definitely not! If she is whining because she is scared and insecure, I personally believe that a citronella (spray) collar would just exacerbate things and make it worse (make her even more scared).

It sounds like you would be better with confidence-building exercises with her. A dog that is secure and confident will not beg for attention. Also, don't give her the attention she's demanding when she whines, or you will only worsen the problem by rewarding the whining. Lavish her with love and attention when she is quiet, and ignore her when she is whining.

Remember, it will probably get worse before it gets better - so please be patient with her. Do you engage in any social activities with her to boost her confidence?

Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Varja - have you had Annie to the vet to make sure she is not in any pain ?
    Luvzcavs xx
    Harry (tri) and Digby (blen).

Post Thanks / Like

She is not whining because she is in pain. she is whining because she want attention 24/7. If I maybe dont look at her or play with her for 2 minutes, she starts to whine and that can go on for 2 hours. But I cant play with her all day long.
    I never noticed that she is insicure. she is afraid of big dogs, but she is never scared of new situations or people or other things.

I ignore her when she is whinig, that is why I wrote, that she can whine for 2 hours.

She also whines on the street, if people dont look at her or give her a cuddle. And than they give me a bad look, like I am doing something to her.

And after some time of whinig, she goes to the cats and cry to them. but this doesnt help, they dont want to play with her.

we go to agility classes, she has some friend and she plays with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Glad to hear you're taking her to agility! Agility is the best way to form a healthy bond and help your dog increase his/her self confidence.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)