• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How often do you bath your Cavalier?

Fraggle

I know you're not supposed to wash them too often so as not to damage their coats. I was just wondering how often everybody on here did the dreaded B.A.T.H day :shock: :D

hi

i do my two about twice a month as there white coats always look dirty and the bath water comes out brown so they always need one :)

I only ever washed Rudee when she got really dirty; like rolling on a dead bird/fish cause she stank to high heavens :yuk: otherwise I would just let her dry off and then give her a good brushing.

:flwr: :flwr:

Maxx gets bathed every 4-6 weeks but Charlie HAS to be bathed every other week as he smells awful if not :S

We do Murphy when he's stinky :? Which can be every week or once a month depending on where he's been sticking his little nose :lol:

But he loves being bathed or showered, and he's never had any skin problems from his frequent soaks.

well, I've just bathed Max and Brandy (re-named)! in the last hout - Max because I bought him a special anti-tangle shampoo as his ears were quite matted and he won't let me brush or comb him very often. But in the bath it seems the least of his worries... :p
And Brandy because I got him some special medicated shampoo as he had a bad skin condition when he arrived so it helps keep the area clean. But today is a wet and wild and windy day, typical November and we had just been out for a walk in a very boggy, mucky park and both dogs had a great roll around, as they do. :yikes

otherwise, perhaps twice a month in winter and much less in summer.

I only bathe zack once in a great while, in hopes his skin will retain its oils and he won't get itchy. Occasionally he scratches. Frequent soft brushing distributes the oil from his skin through his coat and also cleans the fur. Fortunately, knock on wood, he never stinks or smells, including breath. When he was younger he got a dog odor at one point and bathing did help. I only bathed then every month, have always tried to keep it to a minimum. His coat and skin look clean. i'm not sure why as he does play in the dirt occasionally. For some reason, the dirt disappears on its own, pretty surprising.

i gave my 2 a bath yesterday actually..fun times ;)

well i brush my two every day and if at all they have dirt it just seems to brush straight off...

i bath them every 6 - 7 weeks or so unless they get very dirty before that and they need one badly.

Bailey gets a bath every 2 weeks or he really smells :roll: :roll: And I brush him everyday..I also have to wash his front legs daily cause he keeps peeing on them !

Duncan and Arthur get their baths when during a snuggle I have to turn my head and say - Ew, you smell like a dog!!

I would guess it is about once a month. In the summer, much more often because we bath them each time they get in salt water.

During "show season," I give Darby a touch-up bath with a very gentle shampoo (or just water) before each show weekend. Otherwise, I only give her a bath every 4-5 months or so!

I've found that the more you bathe them, the more they smell "doggie." Surprisingly, Darby still smells GREAT after 5 months (unless she finds some really nice duck poop in the backyard or something!)
:grnyuk:

Dogs don't have the oil glands in their coat that we do on our heads, and frequent shampooing can strip what little natural conditioners they have, leading to an overcompensation of these glands (leading to "doggie smell") & dry skin.

Just always be sure to use a gentle high-quality shampoo for dogs or puppies, NEVER one for people. ;)

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth... :flwr:

Darby's Mom said:
I've found that the more you bathe them, the more they smell "doggie."

:flwr:

I agree to some point. I only bath Maxx when he's dirty but Charlie has allergies and scratches and bites himself if he's not bathed enough. He has special shampoo to use as well. I have tried leaving him longer in between baths but the smell gets worse :yuk: His skin is very scabby and scaly and it really does reek :? Makes me feel quite sick sometimes as it's not a doggie smell but something yukkkkkk!!!!

Is there really a difference between pet shampoo and human shampoo? I've always used baby shampoo on Bella thinking that it was very mild and wouldn't hurt her.

The PH levels in a dogs skin are far different to those in a humans, so yes you should only use shampoo especially formulated for dogs or puppies. :flwr:

Back