• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Why would someone want...

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
a cavachon (half bichon, half cavalier:

19novel.1.600.jpg

which to me looks like any terrier crossbreed you'd get at the pound any day of the week? That is NOT a denigration of poundies; it is just pointing out how STUPID the market is for mixes when there are thousands of lovely dogs needing homes that looke exactly like this and cost just a rehoming fee and face death row. What a total rip-off to charge people 'designer' prices for a dog like this! And who would want this dog enough to pay bichon/cavalier prices for it, rather than getting an actual bichon or a cavalier? :sl*p:

Story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/19/business/yourmoney/19novel.html?_r=1&ref=yourmoney&oref=slogin

i think it's a trendy gimmicky thing. I was talking to someone at the dog park the other day who has a toy poodle. She said she met someone with a labradoodle or something, and referring to her dog, she said to the dog's owner, "I have the doodle part." She said the owner didn't understand what she meant--it was as if they had never heard of poodles before.

:?

One possibly valid reason someone might get any breed mixed with a cavalier would be if they were trying to get the cavalier personality and sweetness, while they might not prefer the look of a cavalier (not everyone does, inexplicably). But i'm not sure that is the reason that anyone does this. Just a guess. i do think it's a marketing thing for people who deal in dogs for profit. And as for the market, the consumers, well, it wouldn't be the first time one might wonder "What are people thinking?"

Before we got Ariel, I was actually considering this mix. I had met my friend's blenheim Jinx, and was smitten with the breed. :lotsaluv: But I have some allergies, and thought that I could never have a longhaired dog. I have read the bichon frise are know to be low allergen dogs. I then came across the bichon cavalier mixes online and thought this was a great combination! Wait, wait! I would have rescued, NOT purchased from a breeder of these mixes. But as it turned out, not very many of these mixes maintain the cavalier look that I love so much. And as it turns out, Ariel & Jinx have as yet to unduly stir up my allergies.
I do agree that purposely breeding mixes just adds to the problems of BYB's...

yes Karlin .. I totally agree with you. That's absolutely ridiculous the mixes they are making these days.

My neighbor was walking around the other day with the weirdest looking dog I'd ever seen and I asked what it was and she said a "jack-a-pug!!" I'm like.. NO.. a cross between a jack russell and a pug? and she said yep like she was proud!! Now I don't know about the rest of you but I've owned a pug before and we own a jack russell now.. they have two TOTALLY different temperments. Besides I know each has their own health problems you have to look out for - why crossbreed them on purpose and risk getting the problems of both breeds?? I'll never get it. :(

We looked at the cavachon as well, and for the same reasons - we were hoping to find a dog that was somewhat hypo-allergenic. Luckily, it was for friends, and not myself or hubby, so we decided to just go with the Cavalier and vacuum a lot before those friends visited! I really did have my heart set on the Cavalier....

someone in my neigborhood has one of those. it is really mean too. when brady and i pass by on walkies all he does is get all defensive. cavaliers are way better than any mix that anyone would mix them with. it really is sad what people come up with, but when you really think about it, all breeds were mixed with something to get to where they are now.

There is a problem when the novety wears off all these dogs will likely land in pounds Give me a Cavalier any time----Aileen

sannie said:
Mixed breeds in my day were just called mongrels.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Mine too Sannie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do agree with you though, Karlin. Why purposely breed a mixture when you can get a mix from the pound :roll:

I'll never understand people as long as I live, no wonder I prefer dogs :lol:

I think the Guide Dogs for the Blind were pioneeers in this deliberate crossing. They wanted a non moulting labrador, but not many turned out that way, so they abandoned the idea. It's a pity they didn't read up on genetics first. If you cross to get A and B from two breeds, you can just as easily get C and D , the bits you don't like in each, all in one dog and as has been said many times, whay happens to these cross breeds with unwanted traits ? Another thing is that hybrids rarely breed true, so any offspring are completely unpredictable; in fact could have even more undesirable features than the rejects from the original cross.

What annoyed me was hearing Ben Fogel recommending labradoodles, during the presentation of Crufts. The KC people outside his media bubble would have had a fit, had they heard.

A local pet store in my city always has the "mixed" Cavalier breeds so many backyard breeders are going to. I think they can't always get their money out of a cavalier litter, so think they can at least get a few dollars from a cavalier mix!

I think the pet store sells them for upwards of $350 and more.

Sheri

Barbara Nixon said:
What annoyed me was hearing Ben Fogel recommending labradoodles, during the presentation of Crufts. The KC people outside his media bubble would have had a fit, had they heard.

what was his reasoning?? the moulting thing?

IMHO.....This dog looks like a Labradoodle. I agree he looks like many other mixed breed terriers. When my husband and I were on vacation in September, we saw a couple with a stroller, and holding what we thought was a stuffed animal, we assumed was for the baby in the stroller. Then we saw it move. I just had to see what this "Teddy Bear" was. As the couple got closer we could see they were holding a dog, and strolling a little Chiwawa. The dog as it turned out was a designer dog. Half Yorkie and half Papillion. It was truly the cutest thing I have ever seen. The owner worked at a shelter, and had rescued this little baby. It was already totally blind at just a year old. Very sad. She was telling us all the horror stories about these designer dogs and how many they are getting at her shelter because of these "mad experiments" gone bad. It just broke my heart to see this precious baby already blind. It was a very sweet little dog. She took him when they could not find another home for him. Bless her. He now has a very nice life with this great couple, who adopted him.

Back