• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help - Puppy Coughing

Chelle & Rex

Hi,

Little Rex is only 13 weeks and has developed a cough over the last two weeks, we've brought him to the vet who said it may be lungworms and gave him an injection and some stronger worming tablets. He got better for a few days but this weekend he's coughing a lot more, its sounds really chesty -the poor little munchkin sounds like a heavy smoker he's weezing so much!
I can't get an appt with our Vet until tomorrow and am wondering if anyone has come across anything similar - we're very worried about him :(

It might be Kennel cough but you really need the vet. Can you get an emergency appointment.

Best Of Luck (y)

Yes, Kennel Cough - sounds like they are trying to get phelgm up.... our lot were put on pink anti-biotics and lasts about 8-10 weeks.

I don't mean to worry you but with somebody especially that small and still developing and growing I would go to the emergency vet straight away..

If you are in Dublin ring the anicare branch closest to you:

www.anicare.ie

They are in Glasnevin, Blanch and Clontarf. Open til 7 so one branch can certainly squeeze him in. kennel cough can turn into pneumonia quickly in a puppy so please don;t delay. I've never heard of lungworms as a first diagnosis -- I'd have though kennel cough as well but it is hard to know what other signs the vet also saw.

I wonder why the vet thought it was lung worms before they thought of kennel cough?? That's just bizarre. Does your Rex's chest rattle when he breathes? Poor Wesley when we got him had the worst case of kennel cough my vet had ever seen. He had to be placed in a nebulizer twice a day for two weeks + antibiotics before it cleared up + cough syrup twice a day. I wouldn't do any of these things before you saw your vet though and had a proper diagnosis. Good luck!! :flwr:

i hope your vet is right in not taking this very seriously or urgently, but from what you're saying here, if it was me, i'd have to find an emergency vet or any vet who would see him, now. good luck.

:updte: Brought Rex to the vet last nite, he diagnosed a chest infection - he assured me it wasn't kennel cough. He gave him an injection and put him on antibiotics for a week, already he's much better and running around again :w**h**:

A big :thnku: to everyone for your advice and help

sorry i didnt catch this thread sooner!! thats excellent news that he's doing better!!!! woohoo!! :p

:D yay--so happy to hear he's getting better, glad you got him seen so fast.

I thought kennel cough was just a catchall term for infections of the upper respiratory tract with cough (and sometimes other) symptoms--i didn't know there were chest infections treated with antibiotics that aren't kennel cough. whatever it is, i'm glad it's something he's getting over. :flwr:

Judy, when Geordie had kennel cough, our vet told us that it probably started with a virus and then went into a bacterial infection. Evidently there is more than one strain of kennel cough, too.

When we first took Geordie in, they treated him for worms. We were told the worms could be in the puppy's lungs, then they crawl up the trachea to the esophagous and on into the digestive tract. This can cause a gagging cough in the pup. I think they like to eliminate this problem first when the pup has a gagging cough.

Cathy, that sounds pretty complicated, worms, virus, bacteria, poor little guy. How old was Geordie when that happened? How long before he was completely over it? Little Rex looks so vulnerable in the avatar--hard to think about them being sick. :( Glad it's turning out well for him, and Geordie is just the picture of health now, thank goodness. :wggle:

I'm glad your puppy is recovering!!

What's the difference between pneumonia, a chest infection, and kennel cough? Apart from the fact that you can vaccinate against the last, but I gather even that isn't always effective.

I think people often use kennel cough interchangeably with bordatella which makes sense because apparently it's the most common cause of kennel cough, but kennel cough is a more general term that refers to upper respiratory tract infection from various causes including bacteria (usually bordatella), virus and mycoplasma (fungus). Most cases of kennel cough clear up on their own, like a cold that people get, antibiotics aren't necessary, but cough suppressants make a dog more comfortable. Vets often give antibiotics, more for psychological reasons than medical ones. Pneumonia is sometimes a serious complication of kennel cough, and may medically require antibiotic treatment. This is where i was just reading about it:

http://www.vetinfo.com/dkcough.html

Back