Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me with Sadie!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like she's doing well already As Karlin has said, make sure she poops when you take her out and I would also reward her with a tiny treat and heaps of praise too.

I'm sure she will come to you soon, it's early days yet. One of my fosters too 5 months to actually come to us and cuddle into our legs. Eventually, after a few more weeks of putting our hand down and giving him a little rub under the chin and behind his ears, he decided taht maybe he could trust us after all and put his paws onto my lap.

As you can imagine, I sat there with tears running down my face, especially when he let me pick him up and have him sat on my knee. This led to more ear and chin rubs and eventually after a few more weeks he'd go to sleep.

He was never a cuddly dog whilst he was with us though, I think some are so traumatised by their past lives that they can never trust enough to be cuddled.

We've had Charlie for over a year now and he'd been abused in the past. when he came to us he was very skinny and had appalling skin and coat, ear mites & infection and nails that had grown into his paws. We used to get stopped an asked what sort of dog he was as he never swished his tail like a normal Cav but tucked it under himself all the time

Now he looks a completely different dog but all affection is on his terms and he will still not be cuddled. This is fine by me as I know that he's happy & yes, his tail is usually upright and very often swishing too

So, all in all, you're not alone in this and as I said before, take it baby steps and let her decide when she wants to come etc. A good kind treat based trainer would be good too, but as for the housebreaking, sounds like she's doing really well bless her.

I've just seen her on HUA too, she's gorgeous

Post Thanks / Like

Bless you for adopting Sadie/Sable. You are doing the right thing by her just by asking for advice and help from a group such as this. Keep asking questions and reading to educate yourself and other members of your household and exercise lots of patience. I was one of Sadie's sister Sierra's buddies and would love to have adopted her but knew in my heart of hearts that right now, with work, human family and canine family committments, I do not have the time most puppy mill rescues need. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, including Sadie. Even if she may not always seem like it, you must know she is thankful to be with you.

Phyllis in WV/USA with Buddy (Blenhein CKCS) and Hadley (Clumber Spaniel)

Post Thanks / Like

It is so neat to read about everyone that has been on the HUA website. Well, I will tell all of you, that being at HUA on many occassions, it is the greatest place ever. We held Shalyn and Sierra. We almost left with Sadie, Shalyn and Sierra, but we live in the city limits of Lincoln and are only legally allowed 3 dogs and we already had two, so we had to choose. Shayln could not walk very well, but boy did she want to. We took all three of them out the play yard and she wanted to chase the ball soooo bad, but just couldn't. Sierra, on the other hand, was a lively, in your face, puppy, but it was Sadie/Sable that really took our hearts. She would huddle behind her mom, hoping nobody would notice her. Well, we noticed her and here we are now. We have been making small breakthroughs everyday, which is all I ask for. I was laying on the floor last night petting my lab and she came up and rolled over for a tummy rub. I rubbed and rubbed, never reallly looking at her, and then all of a sudden, she rolled over and crawled over to me on her tummy and gave me a big kiss. You have no idea how that felt, I almost cried.

Anyway, thanks for all the support, I just want her to be happy.

Lee Ann
    Lee Ann
    Mom to Sadie, Akula and Cary

Mic Guest

Thank you so much for sharing about all three cavs from that rescue. I literally was sick to my stomach the day of that auction. I had no idea if any of the organizations I contacted were going to show up, but I offered local help to all. Since no one responded, I thought that it just wasn't going to work out. I considered going by myself, but realized I'd be no help sitting in a barn full of dogs....bawling my eyes out.

I've gone to the website for updates, but I know that the volunteers are very busy tending to the dogs and don't have much time for extra stuff. That's why I'm so glad we "bumped into" each other.

Thank you for taking a risk on a rescue and sticking with it. I'm sure Sadie will find a way to show her appreciation somehow. Most rescues do.

Post Thanks / Like

Lee Ann-

I think what you're doing with Sadie is so wonderful! What a wonderful breakthrough you're having with her--made me tear up. Give her cuddles and kisses from me.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Denise, Wrigley (Golden-5 Yrs.) and
    Mia Bella (Cavalier-2 Yrs.)

Post Thanks / Like

Lee Ann-

I think what you're doing with Sadie is so wonderful! What a wonderful breakthrough you're having with her--made me tear up. Give her cuddles and kisses from me and Mia.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Denise, Wrigley (Golden-5 Yrs.) and
    Mia Bella (Cavalier-2 Yrs.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm wiping my eyes and blowing my nose over here in Ohio. I'm so thankful to hear about Sadie and the other two girl cavs. Bless you for giving her a loving home, and everyone who helped save these pups!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Lee Ann - I have thought about those girls often. When their information first came up on the site I was so saddened. Many of us became "buddies" for this organization because of their postings. My buddy is precious little Yuki. It is so wonderful to hear about them personally. How sweet that she is coming around. Definitely works best to let her come to you at her comfort level. Good job!!

For those of you who aren't aware of who these sweet babies are...here is the link to their original postings http://www.hua.org/dog-adoption4.html. Be prepared thought, their stories will break your heart but then you will cry tears of joy for them knowing they have been adopted and are being loved.

Thank you again from the bottom of my heart Lee Ann!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

I am so inspired by your stories. I just applied to Foster for Lucky Star cavaliers and I am counting the days until I am able to do more than just donate. Thank you for sharing youe experiences, hopefuly in the near future I will be able to utilize what you have learned.
    I love my Wesley, Cody, Zoey & Stewie