• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

thinking and wondering

Nean

I have never in my life given any thought to puppy mills. I've always known they exist, or at least I've heard the term "puppy mill" before but never really knew what that was exactly. Since we've gotten our dear little Laci (from a "byb") I'm learning alot and it's got me to wondering.

It is my understanding that the puppy mills are legal, and governed by the ?? Agriculture Dept of the US government?

I know that cavalier lovers do all they can to rescue as many as they can. I also know that other breeds of dogs are also rescued as much as possible. While this is very admirable, I've been wondering if there has ever been an effort to actually change the laws. Actually trying to get puppy mills outlawed completely? I'm sure I have an idea of the first response to that question. And yes, I'm sure it would meet with great resistance, but hey... rome wasan't built in a day and there have been many many laws changed about a great many things... Why not go for outlawing puppy mills completely. Lobbying the government etc?

Nean

I am with you nean - it's disgusting to think about. Many livestock are better protected than dogs, which is really sad.

Puppy mills are actually outlawed in some states. I think if you own a puppy mill you have to be "registered" and ready for inspections just as if you own a fast food restaraunt you have to be ready for the health inspector at any time. I am not sure what else it entails though. I am sure some dogs are kept in better conditions than others, but it doesn't make it any better. Millers are in it for the money, not the health and longevity of the breed. It's so awful to think about. :(

Oh, I agree with you... Ihate this, why doesn't someone do something?

There even is one puppy mill in Iceland :(
That is not as bad as it is in some places in other countries, but bad all the same. I have not been much on the case, but this is what I know.
There are, I think, 5 people who take care of over hundred dogs.
The puppies who come from this place, Dalsmynni, are often very sick, sad and someone die just few days after they go to their owners.
The place is smelly and dirty.
The dogs are cept in cases all day and do never come into a home.
We have tryed everything to stop this, protested and there is a homesite who tries to awake the goverments, but nothing's going so far.

www.stopp.is I know you won't understand a word, but you can see the pictures.

And again, this is just what I know, I've not been on the case.

There are lots of people who work on legislative stuff. Part of the problem is getting laws that limit the puppy mills without hurting legitimate breeders. An example is the law they are trying to pass in Pa. after the big puppy mill dog seizure in the last year. The law would also severely effect valid dog breeders and is therefore not good. We all can help by writing to our congressmen, etc.

On the puppy mill issues, a know that there a few rescue groups who have really impacted the availability of certain breeds by getting the moms out of the puppy millers hands.

It is also why the good breeders are so careful where they place their pups and why they insist on limited registrations only so that their dogs don't fall into the hands of the millers and BYBs.

My rescue Katie was shipped in from a puppy mill in Ireland. She has genetic eye issues (blind in one), an underbite, light coat, wighs only 11 lbs. etc. We are praying that other genetic issues don't crop up as she gets older. The woman who originally bought her wanted to start breeding cavaliers for the $$. Fortunately, she rethought that. She rehomed the dog to us at 15 mos. old and we immediately had her spayed.

Just some thoughts on the issue. I had many cocker spaniels over the course of the years. They used to be very sweet docile wonderful dogs. Inbreeding, BYBs and puppy mills almost destroyed the breed. They now have many health and temprement issues. Let's hope the same thing doesn't happen to this breed.

Thanks Molly, you have confirmed some of my suspisions. The laws are set up in such a way that to try to abolish puppy mills impacts the "reputable" breeders.

Do you know of any current groups trying to get things changed at hte legistrative level?

Wow, a rescue from Ireland? Are you in the states?

Nean

If you are interested in the legislation stuff, there is some posting stuff here and other boards as well. I'll try and find some links to forward.

My Katie was flown into the US from Ireland by some one in the state of Washington. She gave the dog to a friend of mine who brought her out east to me. Lucky me because she is the sweetest happy dog.

There is a dog boarding kennel in the next road to me and the owner has had bad reports about her in the papers because she buys puppies from anyone and sells them. This isn't so much a puppy farm but the puppies she buys might be. I don't think she cares where she gets them. I nearly got a Yorkie from her a long time ago before I knew any better. It's a smart looking place, very clean etc but it's just that she buys puppies like a pet shop. I get very upset when I drive past. :?

Back