• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Crates - Does everyone use ?

Thank you all for your comments on crates

I cannot say enough how much I appreciate your consideration and time in answering, my questions. I must warn you, I've got lots :)

When we first brought Mr. Quincy home at 10 weeks he was easily trained to sleep in a crate next to our bed. This was very handy for the first three months or so. He would get up once a night to go potty, and go right back to sleep in the crate. Gradually we began to let him sleep in our bed at around 6 months, and he has never had an accident there. In the kitchen downstairs we maintain an x Pen. He stays in there when we are away from home, no more than about 3 hours at a time. He also eats his meals in there, takes naps on his cozy bed, and occasionally has a timeout in there as well! He pretty much has the run of the downstairs when we are here to maintain close supervision. Upstairs we have to be a little more diligent. If he feels ignored when I am on the computer he has been know to leave a little surprise for me in another room.........He is such a little smartie and is very good at getting my attention!

Inca your babies are soooooo gorgeous! I could steal the all. They look so cosey in their pen.

Murphy is not crate trained we decided not to because we both work during the day. He stays in a Utility room with a baby gate up to keep him in, and his radio on to keep him company. I come home at lunch to see him and let him out. And he sleeps with us during the night.

Very well said Karlin, you took the words right out of my mouth. I would love to print this out and show this to a few of my co-workers who have dogs. I call these gals I work with "dog owners" and not "dog lovers" because of how they treat their dogs, to them they are "just a dog" and my co-workers think nothing of leaving their dogs confined to small crates for 8 hours, or more, each day while they are at work, and then they complain about their dog's behavior. I am so disturbed by my co-workers doing this that I cannot even discuss it with them any more (and believe me I have tried to explain to them that crates are not meant as prisons for dogs to be left in all day long).

I don't know why it has become such a trend here, but it is pretty disturbing.

I love that freedom pen!!

Oh I know what you mean!! I used to work with a woman who had 3 dogs, including an Alaskan Malamute. She would leave these dogs for, I kid you not, 12 hours at a time!!! And then bitch and moan about them destroying her house. Her Alaskan completely destuffed the coach, chewed the tv cord, ripped a rug to shreds, I mean just completely and totally destroyed her house. At the time I didn't have dogs and didn't "get" it. Now I do!!! What the he** did she expect?!

Back