• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

weeing on walks - help!

WillowsMom

Hi everyone!

So we've started taking Willow on little walks at lunch time and after dinner. We were hoping that at least for the lunch time walks, she do her business on the walk so we don't have to also take her outside to the back yard. However, we seem to have trained her that the ONLY appropriate place to wee is in the backyard. Even if we take her out as soon as we get home for lunch, and we know she has to go, she'll just cry for the whole walk and then go in the backyard when we get home. We try telling her to go pee, and even have treats ready in case she does, but she just won't go.

It's not even that she won't go on a leash, becuase she will -we always take out on leash when it's dark ever since the night we went out and there was a skunk in the backyard. :yikes

Any ideas how we can get her to start doing her business on her walks?

Thanks,
Krista

Hi Krista!

Telling her to go peepee won't really work because she probably doesn't know what you are saying, but you can train her to go on command fairly easily with some patience. What I did with my Chester is this: I would take him out to potty and as soon as the urine started to flow I said "go potty". I would do this every time and after about a week or so he realized the command "go potty" went with the action of urination. The trick is to ONLY say the command words once the urine has started to flow and not before.

After a couple weeks you can start saying the command before she pees and if she has learned the command she will hopefully do her business! While you're training her you will want to take her out in the back yard on the lead or else follow her around very closely so you can catch her peeing every time. It's a bit more trouble for a little while, but believe me it's well worth it in the end and then she will go pretty much anywhere you ask her to!

Good luck!

GudrunTheRed said:
Hi Krista!

Telling her to go peepee won't really work because she probably doesn't know what you are saying, but you can train her to go on command fairly easily with some patience. What I did with my Chester is this: I would take him out to potty and as soon as the urine started to flow I said "go potty". I would do this every time and after about a week or so he realized the command "go potty" went with the action of urination. The trick is to ONLY say the command words once the urine has started to flow and not before.

After a couple weeks you can start saying the command before she pees and if she has learned the command she will hopefully do her business! While you're training her you will want to take her out in the back yard on the lead or else follow her around very closely so you can catch her peeing every time. It's a bit more trouble for a little while, but believe me it's well worth it in the end and then she will go pretty much anywhere you ask her to!

Good luck!

Thanks for posting this. I've been saying go wee wee potty for a wee and it normally works but I hadn't realsied to emphasise it whilst ithe pee is in "action"

Thanks Edith - that's what I've started doing in the last few days, so hopefully she'll learn it soon - I just didn't know if that would be the right way to go about it. She probably thinks I'm crazy at this point, telling her to go pee when she's already doing it (she does sort of already know this, but I don't think she's fully made the connection).

We'll keep at it and hopefully she'll be going on walks soon! It's really kind of ridiculous to go on a walk and then have her immediately run to the back door to go out when we get home!

Krista

I thought about this too....Cody has NEVER had to potty on the leash. He has only gone in the back yard. After a long walk throughout the neighborhood, as soon as we get home he rushes out the back door and goes right on the mat because he had been holding it for so long :? Poor little dear. I guess I scared the bejesus out of him that the only place to go is in the back yard!!
He knows the phrase "go potty", but he won't do it anywhere else but his spot. I figured this may be troublesome if I was on a trip with him...I would love to break this habit.
I know that eventually he will catch on because he is a smart little boy. Now he will hold his pee and wait to make sure that I have a treat in my hand before he will go!! What a brat!! lol :sl*p: :lol:

I promise you Cody will change if he's anything like our boys! The time will come when he will want to stop at every vertical surface along the route of your walk. It's a boy thing :D

lOL bruce .. Kosmo is trying to get into this phase now. I had these three trees on our walking path and I thought "you know, it's not too bad.. 3 verticle things.. I can deal with it." The other day I came home to see that they had planted TWENTY EIGHT new ones in our path ! ! :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes
I almost had a heart attack!! Hopefully he doesn't think he can go 28 times !!

I remember it taking a while for our pups to realise that the back garden wasn't the only place they could go potty. Twinkle's first "public poo" was after a walk on the beach in Malahide and we actually cheered. Sad or what :roll:

I have all three that try to pee on the same spot at the same time - not all of it ends up the lamp or on the floor if you get my meaning... :sl*p:

max was the same way when he was younger... it was as if he wouldn't go pee or poop unless we were in the back yard... no matter how bad he had to go. i didnt do anything different, and he just grew out of it. i had him at a friends house one time and i knew he had to poop. i just walked him around their yard until he went. took about 20 minutes, but eventually he did... never had a problem since.

I promise you Cody will change if he's anything like our boys! The time will come when he will want to stop at every vertical surface along the route of your walk. It's a boy thing :D

oh and i hate it!!!!!!!!

milo just started about a week ago! I literally cant even walk 3 steps before he has to pee on another tree stump or a tree branch!!!!! 2day on our walk there wasnt any trees for literally about 5 paces (i mean i could see the next tree about 8 paces away!) so milo goes and pees on some guys car that was parked on the road...not good!!!.. :yikes :sl*p: trust me sara they can do it more than 28 times (at least my guy can :roll:)

Lucy was nearly 7 months before she would wee when out for a walk.

She was fine about doing it in the garden on command ...but nothing would make her do it on a walk. When she eventually decided she could wee on the field I was so delighted I sent a text to my husband to tell him!!

Henry had no such shyness but then he is a boy!

Thanks everyone - we're still trying with this one, we're really hoping we can fix this before the Christmas break, or it's going to be a very long week while we are travelling to visit relatives!

Bruce H said:

OMG Bruce, I wish :roll: Charlie is a complete nightmare :roll: He will stand and cry and look behind him as if he wants to go home. He will pee in peoples gardens when we go visiting but will NOT go when he's out. I think he must make himself really uncomfortable but he would rather cross his legs until he gets home. As soon as we are in I have to open the patio doors for him to go out and pee in the garden - no amount of encouragement will get this little man to go when we are out!!!!

Maxx on the other hand will pee on every lamp post and road sign that he thinks someone else might have peed on before him :roll: :lol:

Back