• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

3rd SM clip on website

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Ellen Crimmell has kindly given me permission to post her video of her rescue oldie Chester, who has SM and has a full range of symptoms. This is an excellent video as she narrates it and explains what he is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWmbF3j8zbU

I also have further links on the SM website -- to pics and an explanation about the video on her website and an explanation by her neurologist on this site:

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/video.html

Note: Though Chester is clearly uncomfortable with aspects of his SM he is not in severe pain and this is very watchable and informative. In particular you can see the distinct sort of scratching and headrubbing he does -- symptoms many people have a hard time distinguishing from nomal behaviour.

It was nice of Ellen to share that with us.... and how brave Chester is. All mine seem to have itchy spots and Woody will sometimes roll around the floor when wet or rub his face when he has eaten - are these symptons if the have nothing else?

It's very interesting to watch but also very sad. Ever since I first read about this condition on this web site I very often wonder about Max. He often scratches his ears but then again his ears seem to get matted and I'm forever trying to brush them out which he hates so it's a massive chore.
He doesn't do the 'bunnyhop' or anything like it while out walking but he does quite often rub his face and body into the bed or couch or floor when he's excited - but he seems to get pleasure out of it....I still just not sure which is normal behaviour or not. He is still only 16 months old so I guess it's something to look out for if its there at all.
can they be scanned in Ireland?

I am really appreciative of these videos because they are so incredibly helpful to see what is and is not normal.

Thank you!

Sandra/Claire that mostly sounds like normal behaviour. :) It is when it gets extreme or odd in the way they do it that there's a point of concern -- but even then you'd really want to be seeing something really distinctive and indicative of pain, before going to the expense of scans. (y) The reason I put up Leo's and Chester's videos in particular is that you can see better what constitutes odd behaviour. leo would have those sessions 10 or 20 times a day, lasting a minute or two, and nothing would distract him from scratching. That's different from a normal scratch where a dog almost always will stop scratching when called.

What I found particularly of interest was the way he walked. You can definitely see right off that his walk is not "normal". Very informative video.

Back