Thread: 4 Blenheim babies in Birch Tree, MO

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 Blenheim babies in Birch Tree, MO

Just saw these little guys on Petfinder. I think the "rescue group" is called Thistle Hill.

JaneB

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you have a link?

Also: I am definitely not commenting on this rescue or any other specific rescue nor trying to denigrate anyone's good work, but people should be aware that some 'rescues' in puppy farm regions are believed to be fronts for the mills themselves, to home puppies that have gotten too old for them to sell easily, or that have health problems. In other words they pass the puppies along to a supposed rescue which is actually just someone working directly with them, that then homes them at a good 'rescue adoption' fee that goes to the mills or is split; it is just another way for the mills to sell on puppies they can't sell via the internet or shops.

There's a lot of suspicion in genuine rescue quarters about some of these rescues, so always proceed carefully. If the issue is that alternatively, the puppies would be put down... well, that's an ethical question for anyone adopting of course, just as homing ill puppies is an ethical question for anyone doing rescue, as is buying dogs out of mill situations. Anyone doing rescue weighs up a lot of hard choices sometimes in grey ethical areas. On the other hand I'd want to really look at the bona fides of the rescue I was thinking of taking a dog from and proceed cautiously, pay with a cheque, not cash, perhaps check on the rescue's tax status and if it is known to other established rescues in the area, the local spca or humane society, has a good public profile, etc. I know Petfinder is aware that some of these kinds of supposed rescues are bogus and if known, will remove their listings.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thistle Hill

Only link I found was this

www.petfinder.com/shelters/MO196.html
    frecklesmom
    Learning new things everyday

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh they have their dog list at the top of their page. Here's one of the four:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=7383822
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you, Karlin, some people use all sorts of fronts and come ons to make money by pulling at your heartstrings. Fortunately, I believe this group is legit. I pulled up the following off the internet from 3 seperate locations and affiliate organizations. Here's the Petfinder link if anyone wants to see these guys: http://search.petfinder.com/shelterS...ort=&preview=1

Thistle Hill Rescue
    RR 1 Box 213
    Birch Tree, MO 65438
    (573) 292-1239
    thistle88@semo.net
    Dog adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog and you'll have a friend for life! Contact us, or contact another local humane society, animal shelter or SPCA.

Thistle Hill Rescue
    About Our Rescue Group
    Thistle Hill Rescue is a small independent rescue in south central Missouri (about 125 miles southeast of Springfield.) Our dogs come from high-kill pounds, and occasionally we take in strays or owner surrenders. Before being placed for adoption, all of our dogs are vaccinated, heartworm tested (if over 1 year of age), and spend some time with lots of other dogs and the 2 resident house-cats to assess their temperaments. We generally only have 5-10 dogs available for adoption at a time, and take in new "furkids" as space becomes available.
    Come Meet our Pets
    To meet any of our available dogs, please email us for an adoption application. If approved, an appointment will be set up to meet the dog that best suits your lifestyle and situation.
    Our Adoption Process
    All prospective adopters must fill out an adoption application. References are required, and a home visit will generally be required as well. There is an adoption fee of $125 per dog.

Dog adoption saves lives. Adopt a dog and you'll have a friend for life! Please consider a rescue pet before you buy a dog from a breeder or pet store. Contact us, or contact another local humane society, animal shelter or SPCA.

Mic Guest

If I remember correctly, Amy got Posey from the folks at Thistle Hill rescue. She spoke very highly of the owner and her efforts to rescue and place these dogs. I don't remember if she went to there to pick up Posey and meet her or not, but she was impressed.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, this is where I adopted Posey. Betty—the woman who runs the shelter out of her home—is very devoted to the dogs she's rescuing. Her large semi-rural yard is sectioned off, with a big section for larger dogs to romp around, and roomy group kennels in the other half of the yard, for smaller pups. Posey, her two littermates, and two other puppies shared one big, shady kennel—I believe all of that playtime with pups her own age went a long way toward turning her into the social butterfly she is now! Betty also spends plenty of time on the road, trekking groups of dogs to the vet she works with for check ups, immunizations, and to get fixed. This rescue is very much her passion, and she loves getting updates on her babies.

We, too, wrestled with the idea that we were indirectly supporting puppy mills (as Betty and the folks she works with pick up dogs from the auctions—she had plenty of terrible words for the conditions they find), but I'm glad that Posey's now in a great home with us, rather than stuck in a cage producing litter after litter. We were prepared for lots of health issues, but so far we've been lucky.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta tell you...Posey sure is adorable!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! She's curled up in my lap right now (she comes to work with me), and she's insisting on having her head in the crook of my elbow... makes the typing a little tricky, but how can you say no?