• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

That first time on a lead ( do you remember it )

inca

was here thinking about my girls first walks outside on a lead as i have just taken cara out ( still walks backwards ) and no intention of going anywhere ;)

got me thinking about the other girls first walks ..Pippa was a dream she just pranced along as if the whole world focused just on her

India was a pickle she took a while there was too much to sniff at

can you remember your dogs first walk and how did it go ? :flwr:

Out of our 12 dogs, only two took to the collar and lead right away. It always seemed to take a number of days before they would walk on a lead. My doctor has always bugged me about getting more exercise; she doesn't want to count lifting a beer can as exercise :lol: She thought, with all our dogs, I would get a lot of exercise. WRONG!! They all want to take their sweet time and sniff everything along the way. Not sure that I can call taking an hour to walk 1/2 mile as exercise.

Does anyone here have any luck going for a brisk walk or jog with their Cavalier?

LOL I remember Kosmo's first time on a walk and his first time in grass. In grass he walked like he had booties on.. LOL He would run up to it and stop dead in his tracks and then look at me for approval..

When I first took him on a lead he would walk about 3 steps and then sit down!! :yikes I couldn't make him move for anything. Thank God for puppy classes, because those were a lifesaver for us.

Bruce, I walk Kosmo three times a day on average. We do a brisk walk for about 20 minutes each time. He's good as gold on it. If I decide to jog, he will stay in a heel position the whole time. :) I think it might be because we walk so often on a lead though.

Training Daisy Boo to walk on the lead was hilarious. One of us would run ahead so she would chase us. Otherwise she just sat down every few steps. Twinkle's first walk was a "carry" :lol: However, a few days later we brought her to a local park where there were loads of kids and she walked away for us.

Bruce H said:
Does anyone here have any luck going for a brisk walk or jog with their Cavalier?

In summer, when I do actually go jogging, Merlin is quite happy to join in on a jog. Only problem is when he tries to run in between my legs and we both end up on the floor!

Wesley was great on a leash, but we started with a harness first. Cody is still struggling. He will plop his butt down and refuse to budge an inch!! When I put him in a harnes he does great though!!

Wesley LOVES to go jogging. When I first took him for walks he would pull and pull and pull!! :dogwlk: I couldn't figure out what his deal was! It turned out that my puppy just wanted to run like the wind! Sometimes now I will ride my bike and let him pull me around the neighborhood. lol. He is much more athletic than most cavaliers I have met and is more like a gazelle.

Cody is just a bum and prefers to be carried. :lol:

Jake was horrible the first few times I took him out on a leash (big surprise there huh?!) I thought for sure I would fall over him and break my leg. He paid no attention to where he was going and was all over the place. It did get better. Shelby, my little charm, was just fine from the very first.

Milo took to the lead nicely since he didnt seem to notice it was there ..well if he did it didnt bother him...but boy did he pull!!! adventurous boy!!

monty was ok too but it took a couple of times before he got used to it...the first time was dreadful he didnt seem 2 like the lead..kept scratching at it and stuff..it started ok...he was on the lead and i walked him down the drive way...i was crossing the road when monty decides that the road would be a excellent place to lie down right in front of a moving truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yikes i really wonder if that boy had any brains at that time????? its like he had a death wish!!!!!!!! im not that bad am i??

Monty came from kennels at nearly five months. He didn't object to the lead but wouldn't walk away from the house or past red cars. As he would walk home, I carried him up the street, put him down and he happily toddled home.

Was I glad to get Izzy on a lead after carrying him on Monty's walks. he fought to get down with his best mate.

Joly and Teddy were no trouble, because they wanted a lead, just like the big boys.

I remember walking my first threesome and people laughing when 'the little white fluff ball' appeared from between Izzy and Monty's legs.

Jaspar was pretty good and Lily (already an adult, but I don;t think ever walked on a lead before) was very easy. Leo, who I got at 10 months, had never had a collar or lead on before clearly, as he went flat on the ground and wouldn't move. Jaspar helped him to learn walks were *fun*!

Bruce my three are fine at a brisk pace when off lead in the Phoenix Park (it is huge -- size of 11 Central parks in size -- so you can do huge long rambles). Also on the beach I can go at a good clip. The dogs off lead all run and run back and forth and into the water etc. If one stops for a long sniff it catches up fast enough. :) But on the lead, they are every which way and if one finds a good smell the other two have to run over and crowd in so there's a row of cavalier tails... :lol:

Well I can't walk very fast anyway and my boys seem to know this so their daily walk with Mamma is a leisurely one with plenty of sniff stops.

When my youngest takes them out for their second walk though they really do get walked if you get my meaning! I think he runs them the last 3/4 mile home and they always come in so excited as he plays with them as he's running :lol:

When we first put Maxx on the lead we walked him round the house and garden and he was fine, walking really nicely... I thought 'Oh what a clever dog' and assumed that he was going to be the same outside - :sl*p: WRONG :sl*p: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He sat down and refused to move, then tangled him, me and the kids up in the lead. He pulled backwards and forwards and was generally a complete scream :lol:

He is the only puppy I've ever had who has lulled me into this false sense of what he'd do - all the others were a nightmare as soon as the lead went on :lol:

how is the best way to introduce the lead?

My dog is 11 weeks and next weekend he'll be allowed out after his vaccinations.

Whenever I attach the lead in the house and he always jumps up, bites and plays with it! HELP!

better weekend with cara ...we are now going forwards not far but forwards ...... we did a walk yesterday with cara and Pippa that was much better she tried hard to keep up with grandma LOL

out today for 10 mins on her own ...bless her she looks so fed up with this walking lark LOL

I clipped the lead coupler to both Merlin adn Oakley and then let Merlin "walk" Oakley around the garden to get Oakley used to the lead but without mum holding thr other end! Merlin thought it was great fun! :lol:

Back