• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

size of newborn cavie

redrn13

Just wondered in grams how much does a average cavie puppy weigh? Also what is the smallest anyone has had survived?

If you check the special forum on the birth of two litters, hosted by Bruce H here, he has weights of all the pups at birth and then through their development so that will answer one question! There are quite a few conversion websites to change to grams.

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=34

The top thread is the one that has all Bruce's posts. His avg seems to be around 8 oz at birth for those two litters.

We just have a couple of breeders (who register properly and do all health testing and clearances :) ) on the board -- not sure if they will see this to answer their smallest puppy.

I'm here!!!

Actually, if I look at all our litters, they probably average in the neighborhood of 7 ounces. Let's see, 1 ounce equals 28.35 grams, so our 7 ounce average is about 198 grams.

The smallest puppy we ever had was just under 4 ounces which would be about 113 grams. He was a REALLY tiny boy and we were worried he wouldn't make it. But we (mostly Kris) were up with him every 2 to 3 hours, 24 hours a day for about 1 week making sure he got the best nipple and didn't get pushed off by the other puppies. Had to tube feed him a couple times. When he left for his forever home he was still smaller than his littermates, but he grew up just fine and when I saw him at about 1 year old, he was the same size as his littermate that we kept.

Which just proves that birth size has no correlation to adult size... Sometimes I think Amber's a really big pup since she's not significantly smaller than Holly - who IS small- but then I remember that it's all in the comparison. We didn't have anything to compare Holly with when she was this age, so she always looked tiny, if that makes sense. They should probably be the same size though pretty much.

cara'a litter sister was 3.5 oz when born ...she is as big as cara now...........my Bonnie had a litter of 6 last year they were 3 pups at 10.5oz 2 at 11oz and one at 11.5 ..average is around 7oz

all born in 2 hrs we were running with towels galore ..all those pups are normal size for a year old

she was heck of a size for a girl that is 15-16lb normally

Back