• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

how do u deal with weeing indoors

molly+charlies mum

just wanted to ask how do you deal with puppys or older dogs when they wee on the floor indoors my daughter and brothers girlfriend all put the dogs noses in it and shout at them i dont do that if mine have an accident and they seem to think im in the wrong where as i think they are ,my daughters dogs are 2 and 7months and if they come in my house they will wee on the floor :yikes so i say if you were teaching them right they wouldnt do it what do you all think icon_nwunsure

Never never rub their noses in it - that is abuse and will do no good at all - the areas need to be well cleaned - Simple Solution from Coulsdon Pets is good.

Then any dog will need to be let out regularly to go - treating is a good way of encouraging them when they have done the deed - also do not leave food done as dry biscuits will infact cause the dog to drink more.

Puppies are just learning and if older dogs are doing it (but have been house trained prior) may have an infection.

If you catch an adult dog in the act of weeing indoors, a simple 'no' and then very quickly take them outdoors to finish, giving them praise and a treat immediately if they wee outdoors.

With a very young puppy, I would be careful about saying 'no' in case they think you don't want them to wee at all. Just make sure you praise and treat them immediately when they've wee'd outdoors.

Anytime a dog wees indoors and you don't catch them in the act, you must not punish them. Punishment will not work, and in fact will destroy their trust in you. Just clean up the mess properly, and make sure they're being taken out often enough. Always praise them when they do it outside!

hear, hear. I have a book from the 1930s by a Cocker breeder- and she was saying then that it's cruel to rub any dog's nose in it's pee/poo. Even more so with a little Cavalier pup (though you didn't say if their dogs are cavs- I hope not, forceful rubbing could really hurt them!).

You can rest assured that you're right and they're wrong. I think you need to uh, rub it in, if you will pardon the pun! ;)

Definatly do not rub their noses in it. When I got my pup it seemed to be the first piece of advice I got.
I wonder who first thought up this terrible advice, it's cruel, just thinking about people who do it gets me mad :x

Hello

I agree ..definately do not rub their nose in it! With Kasper if he started to pee i would make a loud sound to distract him and the take him outside. And then when he peed outside its important to praise him and associate it with a key word..theres no point telling him off after the event as they soon forget..

He's 9 weeks now and he seems to be going off through the cat flap and weeing outside but he hasnt perfected his pooing just yet :) Getting there!!

Mind you i had a heart attack when i realised he had followed lucas up the stairs..now thats a big no no because of his little legs and then he gets stuck and cant come down..

What full hands we have
effie
x

hi

no there not cavaliers they are both staffy bull terriers and the pup is hard work i could never have one,i do tell her you must get them out early they also chew everything but they just dont see that weeing indoors is wrong they really need alot of training....

:sl*p: This is going to sound silly but when you say..

If you catch an adult dog in the act of weeing indoors, a simple 'no' and then very quickly take them outdoors to finish

Do you mean catch them before they start or mid flow, that's going to be messy isn't it! I've heard it said so many times and wonder what to do if they start to wee and your there to see it. If it's in the kitchen fine but I'd hate to trail it all the way from the lounge!

They usually stop mid flow if you startle them or just dribble while you run them out the door... :)

Ah now that makes sence. Thanks Karlin. I saw my puppy today and the breeder has them almost house trained. At least they know where to go and wait at the door, most of the time. It's probably just me being wierd but don't they look cute when they go! Oh and she said they go to bed at 9 and wake up at 7 and don't wee the bed now. Isn't that quick for their age. They sleep in a crate, they love it there.

Oh gosh, I hope that you will ask them to please NOT rub their noses in it and yell at them....that is very, very abusive and horrible!!!

Karlin's advice sounds good to me, and in fact that is what I do too. If my dogs pee in the house, it is MY fault and not their fault, I know that I just need to be more attentive to their needs and I'm just not paying close enough attention.

I've got a good idea - if they ever leave the toilet dirty after they've been, why not rub their noses in it? See if they like it!

It is so cruel to do this to any animal and Staffis are really intelligent too. Maybe they are trying to build them up for agression? So many people do seem to want aggressive staffies these days :?

Back