• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

question about puppy development

mt0382

Hi! my name is Marisa and I have a 8mth little dude named Henry, whom I absolutely adore. I just had a question about his puppy coat. His hair is quite short and I was just wondering when (or if) his coat will begin to grow longer. The only places with long hair are his tail and his curly little ears. I do believe he may have some cocker in him, as his legs are quite long and his upper face sometimes reminds me of a cocker or springer. Is he just going though his gangily puppy phases where nothing looks like it fits? I got Henry through a rescue group, so i'm not quite sure about his past. I have the name of the place he was born and thats about it. No big behavioral issues, except i've been told that he does go though what seems like bouts of separation anxiety when im not home, little fits where he frantically runs about after the cats or tears up the carpet- things he would NEVER do in front me me. Well thanks for reading, I'd appreciate any feedback. :D

I've had four cavs and each developed on their own time schedule. I think that it takes close to 2 years for the full cavalier coat to grow in. From your avatar, he looks like an adorable and normal 8 month old pup. Do you have any other pics?

Cavalier pups are quite funny in how they develop, it seems like one part of their body grows ten times faster then the rest, then the rest will catch up eventually. Wesley started with these super long colt legs, then he filled out and now he looks a lot more proportional than he did when he was 6 months old. He looked like a clumsy baby goat!! His coat started filling in after about a year.

Cody is going through the same wierdo growth spurths (his nose stopped being the precious pug snout, then he got goat legs, and now his ears are catching up and he is starting to get stumpy fringe hair on his legs). It's like they go through an akward teenager phase. :D Just enjoy and take lots of pictures! It is fun to see how different they will look in just a month. :flwr:

Thanks for the quick response! This site is great, I really love how nice everyone is and the great advice.. and most importantly how much everyone loves their dogs!!!!!!!! The pic is the newest pic of Henry. at 8 mths. Cav or cockalier.. what do you think??

8)

[img]http://i110.photobucket.com/al...cket.com/albums/n82/mt0382/puppy027.jpg[/img]

I dont think he looks like he has cocker in him . What makes you think that ? He may not have the structure of a "show" Cav .....but he looks cavalier to me ;) He is in his gangly stage right now . I bet his hair starts to grow before you know it !

He looks like a goofy clumsy cav to me! Take a look at some of Cody's pics in the galleries and they look very similar...

From me you will get really fast responses because I am a total dork and am addicted to this site icon_whistling I actually have a house full of people tonight and here I am on Cav talk!! go figure!

Marisa, I think Henry looks like a full cavalier, just in his awkward puppy growth phase. He looks so sweet.

Well he doesn't look like Cocker cross to me! In the first pic he looks like a chocolate welsh Springer colouring but you can see that he's really ruby and white and not chocolate in the subsequent photos.

He just looks like a gorgeous developing Cavalier puppy to me. That's what I love about this breed, even with the same colourways, they all look so different :)

My Charlie is a Blenheim but has such a dainty head compared to my friend's Blenheim, Poppy, you'd think it would be the other way round like Maxx and Alison's Whitney. He's the big boy and she's the dainty little girlie :D

Henry is a gorgeous boy, Marisa. Don't worry about his coat either - Charlie had a yukky scruffy coat when he came to us at 19mths and now a year later, I have to use a coat king on him as it's so thick and full :D

He looks like a full cavalier. Did you get him at 6 months? His coat does look very short right now, though all develop differently. It just makes me wonder if he might have been shorn as his ears look like they were a bit clipped down in the 6 m pic. In that case his coat will slowly grow back.

My two boys have quite tight coats at age three compared to many cavaliers their age. They are the two at the left of my avatar pic. They have different amounts of feathering and full tails and ears but their back hair is maybe only 1.5 inches long and is hardly any longer than when they were a year old. I've never cut their coats -- they clearly are just from a line of slow developing coats. My little female rescue is probably half their age and has a really long, full coat (well until I had it thinned as she was so straggly!). Jaspar at age three is still getting his adult coat so some are very slow developers. They were not really hairy puppies either. :)

Back