• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

brushes cant find any help

Justine

need to get alfie a correct brush.he crys when i brush his knickers.wire to nasty.soft puppy brush to soft.cant find any even at the vets they are all spikey.any on line sites.

sorry, i'm not in ireland (would love to be). just wanted to say i love your avatar. :lol:

comb

tried a comb he still crys its around the knicker area i have checked him no knots.he also wraps his tail around his bottom so he is all tucked up. i will get a baby brush though a just thought it would be to soft and not get ant knots out .

HI there,
I had a lot of luck with Coco by starting to brush really gently and doing it everyday. I also combine treats with grooming, especially when brushing/combing sensitive places, like her ears. With treats, she really doesn't mind it as much, and gets used to the routine quickly.

I think bristle brushes are quite gentle.
Hope this helps. :flwr:

inca

brilliant many thanks.do you use that brush.will get my husband to go on line to purchase... thanks.alfie will be pleased i thought he had something up.made my tummy turn when he cried......

I use the same kind of brush I use for my own hair. That way I know the texture, how it feels and it it works or not. lol. Whenever I buy a brush, I buy two and label one very clearly "DOG BRUSH!!!!" so I don't get confused. :sl*p:

If they are uncomfortable with certian areas, give him a cookie right after that spot. Wesley hates having his ears done, but he LOOOOVES his big manly chest brushed. I do one ear for a bit, then go back to his chest when I see that he is getting uncomfortable. I do this a couple of times until the job is done, that way brushing is more pleasant for him. :lotsaluv:

If he is a bit shy around his rear end maybe you could just stroke him there. Do a whole body massage gently and get him used to that first, then progress to a soft brush there as the weeks go on. The trick is to get them to actually enjoy it and trust you.

I tried to handle my pups all over from very early on, as soon as I got them at 8 weeks - I hold their paws, stroke inside of their ear flaps, tails, everywhere. And give a treat. Same with teeth cleaning.

A lot of dogs are sensitive in that area, including my gang. I use the following trick to groom trousers, for which I use a meatal comb :

I sit on the floor, with my legs stretched out, then sit a dog, facing away from me, so he's riding my leg like a saddle, with his feathers spread down my leg. I sit him on the right leg to do his left-hand side, then change legs.

Brushes

Hi Justine, I read that boar bristle brushes are great for the cavalier's silky coat. If you use a pin brush, it should be selected carefully. Those pins can be sharp and scratch your cav's skin. Chris Christensen makes great brushes. I can actually rake his pin brush across my arm and it doesn't leave a mark, meaning it doesn't scratch my dogs. Christensen's brushes can be a little pricey but are worth it. Here's the url: www.chrissystems.com/
Hope this helps.

DandBavatar.jpg

Tucker still wraps his tail around his bottom and doesn't like having his legs brushed, I'm assuming thats what you mean by knicker area? He lays down when I'm combing and brushing him. I'm not an authority on anything, but I am now using a vent brush, one of my own, its the type with the stiff plastic bristles with the little balls at the end, it helps get snarls out and then I follow it up with a combing. Tucker and I don't share the brush :lol: I've got a new one for me.

Mine mostly hate pin brushes as well though I use them carefully on matts and on their ears. They will tolerate metal brushes with tipped ends, and a really good bristle brush is a must too as it finishes the coat. I find a good firm one also helps work out snarls and matts.

brushes and alfie

mark ordered me a brush from the on line.inca owner recomended it bristle brush.i also will try the treat method.many thanks for all your answers have taken on board.

i bought some from them at crufts a few years ago ....they are great and still look like new ;)

inca

i was from brighton orig.my husband is irish.anyway whats the weather like did you get any tornados? ordered the brush that you rec.

re brushes.

alfie new brush has arrived.boar bristle i am very pleased its a good brush.he loves it ,sat for mee and let me brush him even his knickers.many thanks.

Back