• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Barking

Mmitc

My little baby loves to bark when he goes outside. He absolutely does not stop. Well my neighbor asked me to do something about so now I have a dilemma. Should I get him a bark collar? If so what kind is best. I hate to do that to my baby but I don't want to lock him indoors in his playpen all day. He likes to play outside with our Golden Retriever. What should I do?

:lol: Good one Nancy.

I'd say ignore him completely when he barks. When he associates you ignoring him completely when he barks, he should put 2 and 2 together (hopefully.) Doesn't your neighbor understand that he's just a puppy?!

Well the thing is he is barking even when we are not home. I mean he barks ALL the time when he is outside. I work most of the day but do go home for visits of course and that is why he has his brother (our Golden) to keep him company. So I'm not there to always tell him no.
The other thing is that I would let him just stay inside with our Golden in a large room but he scratches the doors to pieces. haha

Oh and our neighbor is my husband's best friend from childhood so we really want to solve the situation without any anamosity.

Are you leaving him outdoors all day while you're gone? Even with your Golden as company, I'd say he's too young for that--in fact, I wouldn't leave my dogs outside for long stretches alone, even in a fenced in garden. There are so many things that can happen--especially with curious puppies.

You might try fixing up a comfy crate with toys and chewy things and let him stay in it while you're gone.

I put Mia in my Golden's large crate while I'm gone and Wrigley, my Golden lays by the crate and keeps her company. They snooze/snore together all day. Though, I do have a dog walker that comes midway through the day to let them run around for a while.

Just a few suggestions...

That is your problem: a cavalier simply is NOT an outdoor dog and will have severe separation anxiety left in a garden by itself or even with other dog companions. These are housedogs and a toy breed bred for companionship for hundreds of years -- they do not have the independence of some breeds to be left out on their own and are actually genetically hardwired to want a human around at all times. They don't generally have the size or coat (they don't have a double coat which is much warmer) to be left outside either; they are very small and do not have the body mass to stay warm in the way a golden would. Also -- cavaliers are at serious risk of being stolen if left outside; they are costly dogs and hence very high on the list for people to steal . We have had consistent problems in the UK and Ireland with this, and I know this is also a big issue in the US.

So you really, really need to find a way to 1) keep him inside all day and have someone come let the dogs out for a midday break; 2) get them or get the cavalier to a 'doggie daycare' set-up. Most people find dogs can be safely left in a room like a kitchen, with some good toys and perhaps a radio left on for company and to halp blur out background outdoor noise that also might cause barking -- but they have to have someone walk them/give them a wee break midday. Often there are walking services that can do this or a neighbour -- a teen or an older person may enjoy such a job for a small weekly stipend.

Your neighbours have the legal right to report a barking dog to the local wardens and in most jurisdictions, a dog can be confiscated and removed from you andtaken to the pound for rehoming, after several warnings, so please, please do take this seriously and work out an indoor arrangement. People here I am sure will have advice on how to make such a situation work.

Ypu can put a piece of perspex over the doors where he scratches. Also if you work on his spearation anxiety when you are there, he will learn to be comfortable when left alone. I will attach a couple of links on this.

Links:

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/separationanxiety.pdf
http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/teachingyourdogtostayhomealone.pdf
http://www.siriuspup.com/pop_homealone.html

If you have never taken your cavalier to a good rewards-based training class, this will help *enormously*. A good positive class will help a dog learn confidence, self control and patience -- all of which a dog with sep. anxiety needs to learn. Also get some kongs and feed the dog its meal in a kong when you go out in the morning and if you come in midday for a wee break for the dogs, have another kong ready to keep him busy in the afternoon.

Bark collars are a cruel and innappropriate way of dealing with an issue that in this case is not the dog's problem. It is a management problem for the humans to resolve. :) Often using such collars causes even more problems that they are designed to solve. Also dogs have been killed and maimed by such collars malfunctioning.

Can't you puppy proof a room as Karlin suggested, and put the dogs together there? My two are quite content in the kitchen with Amber crated and Holly's crate left open. I work for a few hours (three-four) two days a week, and if I'm not taking Amber with me, I arrange for a friend to drop in and check on them. This particular friend often bemoans the present lack of dogs in her life, and my house is less than ten minutes walk from the university office we all share- everyone's happy.

Could you come to a similar arrangement?

I'd echo the dog walker, keep the radio on, put some plexiglass over the area where he scratches, etc..

You might also want to look into a DAP diffuser and put it in the area where he sleeps while you are away. It is not cheap, but is supposed to help with excessive barking. I got one for Lucky yesterday just because I wanted to see if it helped him in case his colitis was caused by stress. Lucky was sooo chilled out afterwards. Here's a link to some information about it if you are interested:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

I agree with everyone. When Jeremy started barking while I was outside with him I totally walked away from him and ignored him. I went on talking to the dog closest to me and telling her she was a good girl for not barking while my back was to him. As soon as he stopped barking, I would turn around and praise him and make a big fuss of him. If he would bark again I would stop the praise and turn my back on him. He got the picture that when he was quiet he would get attention. I also just watched a show that did the same type of thing but allowed the dog to bark 3 times before giving him a command to stop him from barking. The dog was carrying on everytime the doorbell was rung, He soon got the idea that he would get a treat if he was quiet and in the end didnt bark at the doorbell at all.

We keep our three in the kitchen with baby gates when we're at work. They have one large, open crate and 2 roomy beds for sleeping, french doors to look outside, and lots of toys. Every morning they look forward to their dog biscuits when we leave, then they nap. We take them outside at lunchtime.

They seem to feel very safe and cozy, and I know they like their daily routine.

Our routine is similar to Cathy's. I would suggest you try leaving him inside. Good luck!

I could not leave Tucker in the yard if I were not home, not even to run to the corner store. He couldn't be left safely. The most he ever stays in the yard without me, is @10 mins. Even then, I check on him, looking out a window, or going to the door to call to him. When he begins barking incessantly usually, at a squirrel, or a bird, or his 2 yorkie girlfriends next door, I bring him in. I don't want to disturb my neighbors. Tucker will put anything in his mouth, a screw hidden in dirt, rocks. Tucker is constantly putting rocks in his mouth. I think he tries to chew on them. Not to mention everything that grows. I'm guessing in Mississippi it's usually warm and often very hot, so cold is less of a danger, than heat exposure. Initially when I first got Tucker my yard had not been puppy proofed so I could not let him outside alone. However, my thought was soon as the yard was safe, in good weather, long as I was at home, he'd be able to go out in the yard by himself. But by the time I'd achieved this, I had Tucker long enough to realize, it just can't be done. Live and learn :D Good luck dear, it will all work out.

Somebody needs to relax. I wonder who that might be? Charlie stays outside usually about 3 hours a day and he loves it. Who wouldn't like to play in the fresh air and soft grass? We have a small backyard and it is definitely puppy proofed. If anybody wanted to steal him they would have to climb over a very tall wood fence and breack locks on a gate so I'm not that worried he will get stolen (oh yeah and our Golden has a ferocious bark haha). Plus we don't have crime in the neighborhood. We don't have squirrels or small animals in our yard nor do we have trees. The most Charlie does outside is maybe eat a little grass now and then. (I've watched him from a window for an hour one time). I know sometimes we forget but cavaliers are animals and they have animal instincts and they will be fine if you leave them outside. The other thing is that I do believe that each cavalier has their own personality. I think that Charlie is pretty independent. It actually seems to me that Cavaliers take on the personalities of their owners (Just from the ones i know) and I believe if you are needy for your dog then it will be needy for you. If you are around all the time then of course they will miss you when you are gone for even short periods. It's about adjustment and what you get used to. Charlie is very very independent. He wants to be outside all the time and makes us let him out probably every 30 minutes when we are home. Partly because he wants to play and partly because he needs to do his business. (Yes he was housetrained in two weeks bc we kennel trained him which some people on here advised me not to do but it worked wonderfully and he always lets us know when he needs to go now)
Anyway, yes, i think that there are some cavaliers that need human interaction all the time but to say that all of them need that is generalizing. Just like every human is different, so are dogs. I have found that if I just tune in to what my dog wants and needs that he is very happy. It's just about knowing your pups personality. When we are home Charlie does not care to be around us every minute. He wants to play and have fun and then when he wants us he says "pick me up" and we cuddle the rest of the night. He never mopes (well except when we had to board him and it was the saddest thing ever!)

Anyway, we have come up with a solution. We are going to let him play outside in the morning (weather permitting) and put him in his playpen inside in the afternoon. That way he won't be barking when the neighbors get home. When we come home and he barks we just tell him know even though I don't think he cares what we say haha. When he used to tee tee in the house and would get a little spank he was just like whatever. He is the king. I just don't want to lock him inside all day because I want him to enjoy the sunshine and the fresh air and soft grass. There is just no more danger leaving him outside rather than inside. I do realize that it would be dangerous in other places.

It has worked pretty nicely the past few days because he will rest in the afternoon after playing in the morning. (we used to let him play in the afternoons)

Wish I could relax, and put Tucker in the yard and forget about him for an hour and know that he would be fine while I clean the house, do the laundry, etc. I can't because of his bad habit of putting everything in his mouth. Sounds like you've arrived at a great solution.

Happy Holidays
:)

I agree, best to keep him indoors, especially when you are not at home, too much extra stimulation for barking outdoors, plus it is just too dangerous outdoors for small dogs, sorry I do not mean to be rude or anything, but Cavaliers are not outside dogs, period. About the bark collar, I would never do that, and especially not with a puppy, too harsh. He'll grow out of the barking stage.

Back