• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Charlie was MRI'd - here we go again :(

Maxxs_Mummy

Yesterday I took Charlie for an MRI scan as he's been quite a poorly boy over the last 2 weeks & isn't getting any better :(

As if this isn't stressful enough we were completely messed about by the place we went to - yet again. This happened with Maxx and Annie (Alison's baby at the Bridge) but we put it down to a one off.

We weren't allowed to see the scans and now I have to wait for the results to be faxed over to James (my Vet) :x

I am sooooooooooooooo angry as I specifically requested to see the plates once scan was completed - I also asked them to trim Charlie's nails and/or dew claws whilst he was asleep as he won't let anyone near his paws - this wasn't done either :(

All in all we had such a bad day that I wish I'd insisted on going to see Mr Skerritt. I am going to demand that Charlie's scans get sent to him anyway.

All they kept saying over and over to me was that they'd had to do 12 scans and were very busy....

Really? At £1275 a scan you would expect better service and care wouldn't you?

And to add insult to injury they kept referring to Charlie as 'she' AND they put a bright PINK bandage around his leg :yikes

As soon as I get back from work today there is a letter of complaint going off to them :x

Obviously I am not going to name the scanning place on here but if anyone is considering getting their dogs scanned then please PM me for the name. I'd hate for anyone else to be treated the way we were.

Donna, so sorry to hear Charlie isn't well, and how insensitive the people were at the scanning place. It just makes matters worse when they don't seem to care about your feelings or your dog.

We're sending positive thoughts for a good outcome. Please give Charlie a hug and kiss from us. I hope the time goes fast for you as you wait for news. :flwr:

Oh Donna - poor you and Charlie, that is disgusting - it is such as shame that there are practices like that - definately write and complain and see if there is an ombudsman for them.

When I went to Clare she was so good, the first consultation was very informative, and she was so kind especially when I burst into tears before we even got started... the only problem I did have was that there were so many booked in, they said that Ozzy would be ready at 4.00 but they did'nt scan him until 4.30 so in the end he came out at 6.30 still groggy.. but she did go through all the scans and what to do, etc. and I got to take the scans away and report was sent within 48 hours to me and our vets...... if we are paying those prices no matter even if we get it back from the insurance we are still a customer and we and our dogs deserve to have some respect.....

:yikes I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

Was there a reason why didn't you go to one of the low cost scanning services though? There are four in the UK and the average cost for a scan is less than a fifth what you paid (£175-250)? Many will talk through the scan with you while you are there.

Many places that do scans won't go through them at the time though. Not all have a resident neurologist or one available then, able to interpret the scan at the time they are done (most only have a single person who can read scans and they are also doing surgeries, consults etc on other patients; they wouldn;t be able to be right there for each scan client at the time of the scan and techs cannot interpret the results). Most places do have a lot of pressure on when trying to do scans so would probably be reluctant or unable to do something like nails. They often do not put dogs completely under either or try to only keep them under as briefly as possible. Technicians helping with scans wouldn't necessarily be the right people to do claws either.

To put things in a little perspective: I had lovely service from Mr Skerritt himslef, though they were running two-three HOURS behind schedule and there is absolutely nothing out where they are located -- no where to get anything to eat -- and I'd been travelling for three hours already, since 5 am, but plane and train to get there. No one even offered me a cup of coffee or tea until I finally saw Mr Skerritt, who asked, 'hasn't anyone offered you coffee or tea?". :roll: No one offered to give me any priority though I still had to get a train and ferry back to Ireland that day. It took me weeks after to get Skerritt's office to mail me my second certificate and I can still never get them to answer emails. So no one is offering perfect service. :flwr:

I hope his scans come back OK, Donna; this is always a very stressful experience anyway without added hassles.

Donna,

How awful for you and Charlie. Me and the boys send big :hug: s . hope Charlie's scans are useful in his treatment and you can ease his suffering.

Oh Donna, poor you and Charlie :(

I hope you get the results as soon as possible and that they are of use. sending :hug:s to you both and of course to Maxx who I'm sure is looking after you both

How frustrating for you Donna. Sorry you had to go through all of this on top of getting the scan. Rough day. Let us know what you hear. We'll be thinking of you.

Donna--I'm so sorry for all the frustration. I hope Charlie feels better soon and that you get a great report back.

Sending you and Charlie huge :hug: s and :xfngr: you get good results back.

It's so physically and emotionally draining when you go to such lengths to care for your family pet and the so called "experts" don't even heed your requests and insult you further by referring to your dog as a bitch! and they charge you £1275 for it :(

You are absolutely right to formally complain. It's not your fault that they had so many scans to do. That's just bad management, plain and simple...

If they couldn't trim Charlie's nails while he was under then they should have at least told you beforehand.

I'm so sorry you had a rough experience Donna and I sincerely hope and pray that you get good results back and Charlie feels better very soon .

:flwr: :hug: :hug:

Claire

Donna.....I am so sorry to hear that you and Charlie had such a bad day. I hope in the end it will all be worth it when his scans come back negative. How much does a scan cost in England in dollars? Just wondering what the difference in US and England is when I get Lily scanned.

I'm glad you did get him scanned Donna - good luck with the results.

Sorry you had such a bad experience though :( what a nightmare.

Please make sure you do get a copy of the scan and the report...and arrange for it to be sent to Clare Rusbridge for her opinion...she has seen the most scans of anyone and can give you the best information. I arranged for TedBear's scan to be sent to her...

It's a shame about Charlie's nails...we have that problem with TedBear too, it's a nightmare :(

I'm sorry you had to deal with all this--amongst everything else. Good for you for getting a letter off to them!

Shay said:
How much does a scan cost in England in dollars? Just wondering what the difference in US and England is when I get Lily scanned.

At the current exchange rate that would be $2,500....but the dollar is very low against the pound at the moment.

If you ask your vet to contact your nearest scanning centre, they will be able to give you a quote.

There are some low cost schemes running in the US too...

Thanks all for your replies. I have been so busy and also poorly so haven't had chance to get on here and post.

We have sort of got a result on Charlie but James said it is very 'muddled' and so he wants a Neurologist to look at Charlie's scans and report.

He apparently has no Malformation or herniation and no syrinxes but he does have some hydrocephalus which is apparently ' variable' - this is the bit that confuses us - how can hydrocephalus be variable? If it is worse on one side than the other why not say so????

Anyway, he continues to scratch and bite himself and he is getting all sore again. Nothing we have tried so far has had any effect on him and so now James wants him in for skin biopsies. He is going in for the day on the 12th & he will also get his nails and especially his dew claws, cut at the same time. :xfngr: that we get some answers and that it is treatable :xfngr:

Oh Donna,

I am just catching up with this thread now.. How absolutely awful for you to have to go through this.. :hug: :hug:

First off I wanted to tell you that I just recently noticed that you got charlie as a "problem rescue." Bless you for that.. You're such a wonderful person Donna.

I am sorry Charlie is feeling so poorly. :( And then to be treated as you're not important at the doctor's office.. :( I hate it when stuff like that happens. It's ridiculous that they don't treat you a little better especially since you're paying all of that money... They should be offering you sirloin steak and wine during the scans.. :lol:

Also I am sorry his results have come back sort of "muddled." Do you think maybe he could be experiencing all of these symptoms from some of the allergies that he has? I know it sure points to SM, but lets pray that they can find the answer and it's fast, simple, and treatable.

Let us know when you find something out.. Also make sure to take some time out for yourself and take care of yourself Donna.. Make yourself a nice hot bubble bath and just lay down and read a book or listen to music or... talk on the phone.. :blabla: whatever makes you happy. :flwr:

Here's to getting some good news and for you and your family to start feeling better.. :flwr: :hug:

{{{{{{{{Sara}}}}}}}} thanks for your post :flwr: I can assure you that I'm not a wonderful person at all :lol: Charlie needed a home where he could be loved & feel secure and we could offer him one - simple as that :lol:

Granted, not many people would have put up with him and his behaviour problems but I liken him to a wayward teenager or a naughty toddler & I know which I'd prefer :lol: At least Charlie will get on my lap and cuddle into me and let me know he loves me, sometimes - Oh yeah, and he doesn't stamp up the stairs and bang doors when he can't get his own way :lol:

Hubby is less tolerant of his peeing in the house, mind you & threatened to keep him in the kitchen until he stopped. Well, that is until I said that if Charlie had to stay in the kitchen then he (hubby) would have to live in the garage :lol: .

We're going to wait and see what his neurology report comes back as re: his symptoms but there is definitely something else going on in there too with him biting his belly :?

He's going in on the 12th for his skin biopsies and James has assured me that he will heal quickly afterwards. I just want him all better so that he can begin to really enjoy life :lotsaluv:

Love n hugs to you and Kos & big kisses for him too xxxxx

Donna,

Hope poor Charlie bops feels better soon and you have some good news after he 12th. Have you tried tea tree mist to sooth his itchiness? even if only a little....

We're sending hugs from my three to Charlie! :hug: :hug: :hug: And we're keeping our fingers crossed for a good outcome on the 12th :xfngr:

Thanks both :flwr:

Kirsty, i have tried everything I can think of - even Rescue remedy cream - nothing works :(

Back