Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats best ? collar or harness.

Post Thanks / Like

Default whats best ? collar or harness.

i keep seeing pics.of all the cavs. in the harness .alfie wears a collar when hes on his lead and around the house.are they not good for cavs.he does pull a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

No collars aren't good- several reasons.

-they pull, as you've found. (Not to mention, as pups, trying darn hard to hang themin selves). This is bad for their trachea thingies- in small breeds they tend to collapse.

-the stress of collar & lead can exarcerbate SM, which most Cavaliers have, even if they're asymptomatic.

Other people will weigh in with more detail.

Plus, the harnesses are cute! When I took Amber to the vet for the first time, she (the vet) was more interested in cooing over the harness than she was in cooing over Amber. Strange, strange person
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

Harness.
    Mum to Tucker, born May 14, 2005

Post Thanks / Like

Default lisa. re harness

can i buy on line.if so can you give me details. also how do i measure for a harness. many thanks alfie.

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Both my boys have Puppia harnesses, they really help with the pulling and take the pressure of the neck area.

How old is you baby.

Both my boys wear a medium.

I bought mine from www.tiabellas.com Roxanne just had a huge sale on the wkd but I believe it is over. I think she has very good prices, and shipping a puppia Internationally does not cost much.

I have a small yellow puppia that no longer fits my boys.
    Mom to Daniel, Derrick, David
    Dudley 3 Years Old
    Darby 1 Year Old

Post Thanks / Like

The first harness I bought was at a PetStore where they allow you to bring your pets in the store so I brought Tucker with me. I had a store clerk help me fit Tucker. When he was 5 months old I think he wore the smallest, or 2nd smallest size harness they had at the store. I've just recently ordered a new harness for Tucker in size medium. From this online store

http://www.tiabellas.com/boutique/pu...ors-p-321.html

Because cavaliers have such delicate necks or throats they can injure themselves from pulling, a collar is not a good idea for walks. When I take Tucker out for a ride in my car, I have a collar because it is easier/faster to put on than the harness which has two pieces, and I never take him out of the house off leash unless I'm carrying him to my car. He cannot be trusted to walk along side me, he's a runner. I can't wait for his new harness to arrive.

Good luck with your new baby. Take lots of pictures, they grow up so fast.
    Mum to Tucker, born May 14, 2005

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Linda

Too bad I didn't know that before! I just bought Wesley a brand new Small Yellow Puppia from Tiabella's. LOL!
    Mother to...
    Wesley, blenheim
    Daisy, Tricolor
    & two human rugrats!

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by My Wesley
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda

Too bad I didn't know that before! I just bought Wesley a brand new Small Yellow Puppia from Tiabella's. LOL!
    That's okay, I never even thought about posting it if nobody wants it I will just keep it for my next cavalier.
    Mom to Daniel, Derrick, David
    Dudley 3 Years Old
    Darby 1 Year Old

Post Thanks / Like

Do you leave the harnesses on throughout the day or just put it on when you go for walks? What about at night for bed?
    Rusty is our first dog - a blenheim CKCS born 1/05 (we have had him since 5/05) who is 30lbs and 19" at 22 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Our boys have collars but we do not use them for walks. They are on because I feel that pups should always be tagged even in the house. I have a fear of them getting out and someone not knowing how to get them home to me.

That said, we use the puppia harnesses (medium) for walks and car rides. They go on real easy and seem very comfortable to the dogs.

I know some attach their dog's tags to the puppia and use only that and even then only out of the house. It is a personal preference.
    Ashley - Mom to Duncan (4 years/blenheim) and Arthur (3 years/ruby)