• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

whats best ? collar or harness.

Justine

i keep seeing pics.of all the cavs. in the harness .alfie wears a collar when hes on his lead and around the house.are they not good for cavs.he does pull a bit.

No collars aren't good- several reasons.

-they pull, as you've found. (Not to mention, as pups, trying darn hard to hang themin selves). This is bad for their trachea thingies- in small breeds they tend to collapse.

-the stress of collar & lead can exarcerbate SM, which most Cavaliers have, even if they're asymptomatic.

Other people will weigh in with more detail.

Plus, the harnesses are cute! :badgrin: When I took Amber to the vet for the first time, she (the vet) was more interested in cooing over the harness than she was in cooing over Amber. Strange, strange person :roll:

lisa. re harness

can i buy on line.if so can you give me details. also how do i measure for a harness. many thanks alfie.

Both my boys have Puppia harnesses, they really help with the pulling and take the pressure of the neck area.

How old is you baby.

Both my boys wear a medium.

I bought mine from www.tiabellas.com Roxanne just had a huge sale on the wkd but I believe it is over. I think she has very good prices, and shipping a puppia Internationally does not cost much.

I have a small yellow puppia that no longer fits my boys.

The first harness I bought was at a PetStore where they allow you to bring your pets in the store so I brought Tucker with me. I had a store clerk help me fit Tucker. When he was 5 months old I think he wore the smallest, or 2nd smallest size harness they had at the store. I've just recently ordered a new harness for Tucker in size medium. From this online store

http://www.tiabellas.com/boutique/puppia-harness-colors-p-321.html

Because cavaliers have such delicate necks or throats they can injure themselves from pulling, a collar is not a good idea for walks. When I take Tucker out for a ride in my car, I have a collar because it is easier/faster to put on than the harness which has two pieces, and I never take him out of the house off leash unless I'm carrying him to my car. He cannot be trusted to walk along side me, he's a runner. I can't wait for his new harness to arrive.

Good luck with your new baby. Take lots of pictures, they grow up so fast.

Linda said:

Too bad I didn't know that before! I just bought Wesley a brand new Small Yellow Puppia from Tiabella's. LOL! :)

My Wesley said:
Linda said:

Too bad I didn't know that before! I just bought Wesley a brand new Small Yellow Puppia from Tiabella's. LOL! :)

That's okay, I never even thought about posting it if nobody wants it I will just keep it for my next cavalier. ;) ;) ;)

Our boys have collars but we do not use them for walks. They are on because I feel that pups should always be tagged even in the house. I have a fear of them getting out and someone not knowing how to get them home to me.

That said, we use the puppia harnesses (medium) for walks and car rides. They go on real easy and seem very comfortable to the dogs.

I know some attach their dog's tags to the puppia and use only that and even then only out of the house. It is a personal preference.

duncans_ma i agree definetly leave collar on all time and then use harness for walks that's what i am planning on doing with lady.

I never take Dudley & Darby's collars off, unless they are having a bath.
I even keep them on when I put the puppia on.

Linda said:

OH takes off their collars for bedtime...it cracks me up to see him say, "Ok boys, lets get ready for bed." They both bound over to his side and look up ready for him to take off the collars then dive under the covers to go to sleep. Then in the AM they do the same to me to put them back on..."Ok boys, lets get dressed."

duncans_ma said:
Linda said:

OH takes off their collars for bedtime...it cracks me up to see him say, "Ok boys, lets get ready for bed." They both bound over to his side and look up ready for him to take off the collars then dive under the covers to go to sleep. Then in the AM they do the same to me to put them back on..."Ok boys, lets get dressed."

Ashley

That is so cute, I have so much confussion in my house with 4 Human Males 2 Furry Males I am best to keep them on or who knows they may end up in somebody' s lunch. :yikes :yikes

That reminds me of when my DH goes to pick up my Human Kids from work, they usually phone Dudley comes popping out of his crate and stands at the door looking at him saying come on Dad lets go before Darby wants to come too, never works out that he can go with just Dudley as Darby cries and cries so he has to take them both.

Funny how they know at that time of night when the phone rings who it is.

They crack me up. :D :D :D :D :D :D

re harnesses

many thanks for all your replys.thanks for web site.i told my husband will order for alfie.happy dog.

Just a thought with my dog trainer head on here :D
All dogs pull on the lead unless they are taught that pulling is not acceptable. My current dog is mostly PBGV a breed notorious for pulling on the lead, especially with their low centre of gravity and deep chest. I taught him not to pull on the lead - yes it did take a while - but we succeeded. I did not use harsh methods, only positive reinforcement, and I did not tug back.
I agree a collar is not good on a pulling dog, but if your dog does not pull its not a problem :p

Collars and harnesses

My vet told me at Tucker's first visit that a harness was a must. He went on to say something on a cavaliers neck in the throat area can become injured easily. Not that I can even recall the anatomical name, I'm sure my eyes glazed over during the scientific explanation. Best as I can recall it was described as something ring like that isn't closed. I've stepped on Tucker's leash myself by mistake, stumbling over him, or he's run around a tree, anything like that could really give a collar attached to a leash a strong tug not just a dog tugging on a lead.

To - Gadget Freak

I only put a harness/collar/leash on Tucker if I am taking him out of the house by the front door, as the front yard has no fence. Around the house, he does not wear a collar and he does not wear his harness. I think he likes the freedom of walking about in the nude :lol: Although once I get his new pippia harness delivered, he may wear it more often because they're so darn cute.

Joanne M
yes they are so cute i always find myself wanting to dress lady in her pink puppia and she always gives me a look as if to say, not again mum, ah well if you have to then she struts around the house. :lol:

from alfie

mum has got me a puppia harness.so no more sore neck.many thanks for all the advice.love alfie. xxxxxxxx.

Back