Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cooper's luxating patellas

Post Thanks / Like

Default cooper's luxating patellas

Hi there everyone. I'm new to this forum. I came across this site when I was researching luxating patellas in cavs last week. I am the proud mum of 2 gorgeous cavies, 2 1/2 year old blenheim Fergus and 10 month old ruby Cooper. Last week Cooper was having trouble with intermittent limping and was diagnosed with luxating patellas. His left knee appears to be worse than the right. Fortunately he's not in any pain, but is just frustrated and bewildered that he can't chase his big brother around the garden as quickly as he used to. My poor little boy has to have an operation next week and then we'll be faced with the post op care and rehab. Pretty full on, especially since I'm pregnant at the moment. So i'm very stressed for him but have read some wonderful stories on this forum about other little dogs journey through this which is pretty heartening. Anyway just thought i'd share cause I'm a bit anxious at the moment. I was also wondering what size play pen you used post op for your pups for those of you who have been through the same thing?

Thanks for listening.

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer. This will be hard enough...but for you to be pregnant on top of it all! The good news is the surgery is 92% effective. We just used a regular x-pen in our family room. Shelby wasn't a jumper so her trying to get out wasn't an issue. It's amazing how quickly you fall into a new routine. She very happily went into her x-pen when I'd bring her in from potty...no problems. She spent a good deal of time on our laps with her leash on (so she couldn't jump down). But, we got through it and you will to!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome but sorry you found us due to having to deal with patellas! However we have a few people who have been through this experience so you'll have a good support system.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So sorry to hear about your baby's patellas.

We used a 30 inch high x-pen for India, plus she had a 26"H x 24"W x 36"L crate with a thick orthopedic dog mattress in it. She preferred the crate for sleeping and resting, and the x-pen was nice for eating, chewing, and playing.

We used to take turns climbing into the x-pen with her to watch TV or read, so she could cuddle up. I slept on the sofa for weeks while she was confined. I think it came to a total of 9 weeks, but may have been a little longer to keep her from jumping off furniture.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

I bought an x-pen for Spencer but ended up using only his crate. I bought a pretty large one, 36"L X 24"W X 27"H, because I was panicked he wouldn't have enought room to turn around with his e-collar. The crate was fantastic and after the first few days Spencer stopped whining when he was in it.

Like Cathy my husband and I took turns sleeping on the floor next to the crate or on the sofa. I think that calmed all three of us down. The rest of the time Spencer was either on the couch with one of us or on the floor next to it. I tied a really short leash to the coffee table leg so he couldn't go anywhere.

Here's a photo of our "set up".

Spencer and his mom, Whitney

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Awww, Spencer looks so cute!

I forgot to mention that Geordie was a puppy at the time, so we really had to confine her from him, too! I was afraid to take any chances on messing up her surgery.
    Cathy Moon

Post Thanks / Like

Spencer looks very cute.

I'm going to miss having Cooper jumping onto me all the time and on our bed. I'm sure we're going to find this harder than he is. Fortunately my parents can look after him during the day constantly for the first 3 weeks and then my husband has 2 weeks holiday so for the first 1 - 2 months he'll be watched carefully and will be with someone. I couldn't bear the look on his face leaving him in a pen with no-one home. Maybe I'm just a sucker for big brown sad puppy eyes!

Post Thanks / Like

at that age they are so bursting with life and energy--i know it's not easy for you to have to watch him experience such limitations. but from other peoples' stories, it sounds like there are some good aspects to a bad thing, the nurturing experience in particular, and surely with that level of nurturing there can be a kind of bonding that wouldn't have otherwise happened. Odds are he will be in good shape once he recovers, in time for your new arrival.

would love to see photos of your guys if you have some.

spencer is really cute in that photo. and the crate looks very comfy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Each vet is different with this surgery - India never had a bandage on her leg and she never wore a cone on her head, either. Our vet told us to spray a little bactine on her incision, and she didn't bother with it at all. She was putting a little weight on her leg from the first day - we could see her footprint in the snow.

The hardest part at first is the confinement, but even that gets easier after the first 2 weeks. It seems to take forever, but then you'll have a lifetime of a healthy, happy cav!!!
    Cathy Moon

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry you have to go through this. We had the same issue with Daisy Boo. She's all better now though. We used a crate as well and it's important to keep them on a lead when out of the crate. If you have any questions at all just post. Lots of people here have gone through this.

Good luck!
    Joanna, Daisy Boo(ruby), Twinkle(tri), Brandy(blenheim rescue) and himindoors (mutt)