• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

cooper's luxating patellas

cooper&fergus

Hi there everyone. I'm new to this forum. I came across this site when I was researching luxating patellas in cavs last week. I am the proud mum of 2 gorgeous cavies, 2 1/2 year old blenheim Fergus and 10 month old ruby Cooper. Last week Cooper was having trouble with intermittent limping and was diagnosed with luxating patellas. :( His left knee appears to be worse than the right. Fortunately he's not in any pain, but is just frustrated and bewildered that he can't chase his big brother around the garden as quickly as he used to. My poor little boy has to have an operation next week and then we'll be faced with the post op care and rehab. Pretty full on, especially since I'm pregnant at the moment. So i'm very stressed for him but have read some wonderful stories on this forum about other little dogs journey through this which is pretty heartening. Anyway just thought i'd share cause I'm a bit anxious at the moment. I was also wondering what size play pen you used post op for your pups for those of you who have been through the same thing?

Thanks for listening.

Bummer. This will be hard enough...but for you to be pregnant on top of it all! The good news is the surgery is 92% effective. We just used a regular x-pen in our family room. Shelby wasn't a jumper so her trying to get out wasn't an issue. It's amazing how quickly you fall into a new routine. She very happily went into her x-pen when I'd bring her in from potty...no problems. She spent a good deal of time on our laps with her leash on (so she couldn't jump down). But, we got through it and you will to!

Welcome but sorry you found us due to having to deal with patellas! However we have a few people who have been through this experience so you'll have a good support system. :)

So sorry to hear about your baby's patellas.

We used a 30 inch high x-pen for India, plus she had a 26"H x 24"W x 36"L crate with a thick orthopedic dog mattress in it. She preferred the crate for sleeping and resting, and the x-pen was nice for eating, chewing, and playing.

We used to take turns climbing into the x-pen with her to watch TV or read, so she could cuddle up. I slept on the sofa for weeks while she was confined. I think it came to a total of 9 weeks, but may have been a little longer to keep her from jumping off furniture.

I bought an x-pen for Spencer but ended up using only his crate. I bought a pretty large one, 36"L X 24"W X 27"H, because I was panicked he wouldn't have enought room to turn around with his e-collar. The crate was fantastic and after the first few days Spencer stopped whining when he was in it.

Like Cathy my husband and I took turns sleeping on the floor next to the crate or on the sofa. I think that calmed all three of us down. :D The rest of the time Spencer was either on the couch with one of us or on the floor next to it. I tied a really short leash to the coffee table leg so he couldn't go anywhere.

Here's a photo of our "set up".

P7290149.jpg

Awww, Spencer looks so cute!

I forgot to mention that Geordie was a puppy at the time, so we really had to confine her from him, too! I was afraid to take any chances on messing up her surgery.

Spencer looks very cute.

I'm going to miss having Cooper jumping onto me all the time and on our bed. I'm sure we're going to find this harder than he is. Fortunately my parents can look after him during the day constantly for the first 3 weeks and then my husband has 2 weeks holiday so for the first 1 - 2 months he'll be watched carefully and will be with someone. I couldn't bear the look on his face leaving him in a pen with no-one home. Maybe I'm just a sucker for big brown sad puppy eyes!

at that age they are so bursting with life and energy--i know it's not easy for you to have to watch him experience such limitations. but from other peoples' stories, it sounds like there are some good aspects to a bad thing, the nurturing experience in particular, and surely with that level of nurturing there can be a kind of bonding that wouldn't have otherwise happened. Odds are he will be in good shape once he recovers, in time for your new arrival.

would love to see photos of your guys if you have some.

spencer is really cute in that photo. :l*v: and the crate looks very comfy.

Each vet is different with this surgery - India never had a bandage on her leg and she never wore a cone on her head, either. Our vet told us to spray a little bactine on her incision, and she didn't bother with it at all. She was putting a little weight on her leg from the first day - we could see her footprint in the snow.

The hardest part at first is the confinement, but even that gets easier after the first 2 weeks. It seems to take forever, but then you'll have a lifetime of a healthy, happy cav!!!

So sorry you have to go through this. We had the same issue with Daisy Boo. She's all better now though. We used a crate as well and it's important to keep them on a lead when out of the crate. If you have any questions at all just post. Lots of people here have gone through this.

Good luck!

This is Daisy Boo the day we brought her home. The owund is surprisingly small as you can see from the size of the bandage.

db.jpg

Awww...Spencer's big old eyes! Now those are eyes that would melt me into a puddle. And Daisy Boo's naked little leg. Shelby didn't need to wear a cone either. Her leg was bandaged the entire length in a hot pink wrap. That came off after a few days. She never bothered her stitches.

It really does get easier after the first couple of weeks. You fall into a routine like anything else. The day you get your freedom...whooowhooo!!!

If you have questions...feel free to ask. So many of us have been through this with excellent outcomes.

for ellie i just used her crate she sleeps in,she was fine put crate in room where the family was through day.not one problem,thought she would be bouncing with energy but not the case.
ellie goes back on monday to vets for planning of next patella op which is soon.she was putting weight on leg day after surgery.thought i would have had to carry in and out of bed and into garden to wee.but not the case.
i bought ellie kong toy this passed quite a lot of day for her. (y)
ellie had no collar or banages on.she didnt mess with stitches

Wow, thanks for all the support. Since I'm reasonably computer illiterate I'll get my husband to put some photos of the boys on the site.

Well Cooper will hopefully be going strong just in time to show bubs that he's higher up in the pecking order!!!!

I'm sure I'll have some questions along the way. Cooper goes in for suregery next Wednesday.

I have a quick question. We were thinking of getting a play pen for a baby (we saw one the other day when doing baby gear shopping) which looks to be a good size to fit Cooper with a bed / mattress, some toys and water. That way we could use it down the track for the baby so we could let bubs lie on the fllor on an activity mat and have lots of fun without the 2 boys trying to sniff and lick him / her. What do you think? Would this be sufficient. He's always going to have humans around for the first 2 months post op.

I think the play pen is a great idea - our vet actually recommended either a crate or a playpen at the time. Best of luck with the recovery!

Well, I went to see him last night, he was recovering well but looked a bit depressed.

Spoke to the vet this morning and they seemed to think he was a bit depressed still. He hasn't eaten or drank anything yet and hasn't gone to the toilet yet.

They're not concerned at the moment and still think he should be able to come home today.

Our older dog fergus has really been missing him.

Back