• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A fading nose

arasara

Kosmo's nose is starting to dry out and I see a faint shade of pink in the light at one spot. His nose has always been pitch black but I'm wondering if the weather changing is what's discoloring his nose a bit? And if so, what can you put on their noses to keep them hydrated? If it continues to dry out will it eventually become sore and crack?

Thanks

My Cavs don't have this, but my Golden Retriever does. I use Bag Balm, which is a very nice balm that originally was used on cow's udders to keep them soft and supple. It definitely helps that dry, cracked look.

I did read somewhere that a vitamin C deficiency may cause the nose discoloration, but I don't know if that's true or not. My Golden's nose is still an unlovely shade of brown, but at least it doesn't look so dry anymore!

Vitamin C? That's weird.. maybe I'll start feeding him more veggies..

Is bag balm harmful if ingested? I'm worried if I put something like that on there he'll lick it off right away..

Thanks for the comments Barb :)

some show folk call it winter nose i think due to temperature change I'm not sure what you can give to help but i think the nose will get darker when the weather gets warmer

I've also heard that feeding beetroot can help improve the nose pigment...but haven't tried it!!

nose

I have used Missing Link for my Golden for several years. When my daughter's Husky/Mal mix came, I found that her nose was getting very hard in the summer and I was afraid of cracking. I tried her on the Missing Link and her nose became soft and supple. My Golden's nose is brown-Missing Link did not help the color.

where can you find missing link at?? It's for dogs I am assuming ? Sorry, don't mean to sound stupid but I've never heard of it. ;)

Missing Link

I know Petco has it but I always buy online as I find much better prices,esp. like free shipping :). Missing Link has the Omega-3 supplement. This summer I tried "Omegas" in tab form and didn't feel good about the results. Missing Link can be a nuisance as it needs refrigeration and use of correct measuring but no worse than getting out the gr. beans or pumpkin from the freezer :p Did originally start it with Mollie as she came ( as a rescue) so compromised with allergies and low thyroid. There may be better products but so far I'm pleased with this.

Holly's nose has developed a bit of brown in the middle- breeder said it was vit c deficiency, but now I wonder. She's fed a good kibble and gets green beans and stuff like that and is otherwise great- surely such a deficiency would be resolved by now! In my case too it's all year round.

One of ours gets a very dry cracked nose in winter. Our vet recommended Lansinoh (used by human nursing mothers and found in the baby aisle). Smeared on the nose, it clears his nose up in a day or two and gets rid of the raised bumpy dry surface.

oh wow, thank Molly, I will have to try that..

I seen the missing link @ the pet food store tonight - but it was in a treat bag for dogs with sore joints??? It did have omega 3s marked on there though.. is this the one you're talking about just maybe they've made it into a treat form now?

Back