• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppia vs Normal Harnesses

Fraggle

I have a normal harness that I use for Bella but I know that most people on this site specifically use Puppia harnesses.

I don't know much about this brand - are Puppia better than a normal harness?

MTIA

I was wondering this too as I know the normal ones are cheaper and also I don't know where to find Puppias.

Sorry i can't be of anymore help but i have a puppia for lady i chose this over other kinds of harness because a) they look so cute on b) they seem to me more comfortable on a dog as it's all elastic at sides unlike some of the other harness's available c) So many rec on this site d) Tried puppia on lady the other day and she seemed to take to the harness quicker to the collar which she couldn't stand had to take it off straight away it was stressing her out. hope that was some help.

There are a range of good harnesses available. Cavaliers with their deep chests are sometimes able to easily back out of some on the market, though. I use the petedge.com step-in harness too but I like the Puppias for reasons above -- they look cute and seem especially comfortable for the dogs. I also like the look of the harnesses in this thread:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5300 but they are out of smalls at the moment.

I originally used the normal harnesses, but switched to a step in for my shih tzu, Stewie. He is built like a brick and it was hard to find something that was wide enough for his girth, but small enough for his overall size. Because I tried about every size available trying to find one wide enough that won't weight the poor little guy down, Cody got Stewie's hand-me-downs. (Which is quite funny because Cody is now twice Stewie's size :lol: ). The regular harnesses put a lot of pressure right behind his armpits and he seemed uncomfortable.

I had never heard of a puppia before I came on this site, and I just loved the way they looked. I purchased one and I love the way they work for my boys. You can just tell that Cody is so much more comfortable on the leash now, and Wesley just looks so handsom! :luv:

I just got Tucker's Puppia Harness in the mail today. The medium fits him and he weighs 13 pounds. I inquired where I could purchase one after viewing the pictures here of cavaliers wearing Puppias. I like how they look and they appear to be more comfortable. Tucker looks very handsome in his red puppia. It was also refreshing to receive something through the post that I'd ordered online, and find it looks exactly as it appears in pictures. :D Until today Tucker has worn an inexpensive harness from Walmart . It worked fine but was not near as cute, and possibly not as comfortable. But, you'll have to confirm that with Tucker

I've gone for one of the one's from the eBay seller I posted above - will report back when it arrives :)

I find that they seem so comfortable then the regular ones... King's old one seemed (from what I saw) to sometimes cut into his armpits...not badly but it looked like it was uncomfortable...So after hearing bout the Puppia I got right online and ordered 1 for King

Pauline - I'm pretty sure that warning was just on the leads. The harnesses should be fine, and you don't really need a puppia lead anyway. Any lead should work. I don't use a puppia lead.

No i had to have the matching lead in pink to match lady's pink stripe puppia. She had to cordinate so she can strut around the house. Still waiting for finial vac so she can go outside.

I mentioned the harness too as this was also mentioned in that thread...

Actually, I think that the clasps on the harnesses could be made a bit better too. One of the prongs on Maxx's harness broke after about two weeks - we popped it into the other part of the clasp and it just flew off.

I just felt I had to bring it up as I wouldn't want any dog getting free near a road.

Interesting ... thanks Pauline. I've not had that problem with any of mine luckily (and Lucky has several Puppias).

That said, if you are looking for a Puppia alternative and are concerned about the Puppia clasps you might want to check out this link:

http://www.gollygear.com/harnesses.htm

They are very similar to puppias. I got one for Lucky when I first got him, but ended up returning it because I really wanted a puppia. That said, it was really nice. I got the Easy Go harness, which is a step in harness because that was all they had.

When we take Laci out to situations where she gets extra excited she pulls on her collar ans starts that coughing, heaving stuff. It really scared me so my daughter gave me a harness that their dog had outgrown. It's just a plain ole pet store type of harness. It helps the coughing problem, but it really really messes up her hair. I've been wondering about these other harness I see you all using on here. Do they mess up their hair as badly as the plain ole harness?

Nean

Personally I think I'd still go for a puppia. I know there was one report of the plastic clasp going- but it was only one, as opposed to the many many people here who have had no problems with it (myself included). Personally, I'll stick to puppia- they're a brand name, and while they may produce howlers occassionally, by and large they're reliable.

Having said that, I won't touch their leads! :D

When Henry grew out of his small puppia there was a delay while I got him a medium and I had to use an old strap harness for a couple of days while waiting for delivery.

It looked so uncomfortable on him and I was worried about the straps cutting in under his armpits etc. Couldn't get a good fit even though it was the right size.

So was much more comfy for him when the new medium puppia arrived. I'm not fussy about looks, it's the safety and comfort that matters to me and I think I get both with the puppia....plus the looks as a bonus!!

Back