• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Work blues- some people...

OhMarley

I just had one of those days at work today where I could have exploded!!!!!! Some people really really really get under my skin… I had two dogs from the same family come in today and the condition they were in was just unacceptable. They both were so matted they couldn’t fully extend their legs as the fur on their legs was matted onto their sides, there fur on the head was so long they couldn’t see properly, and all their eye muck had built up and caused dermatitis, they were covered in fleas, had infected ears, very long nails and just reeked!!!
On top of this none of her dogs (she has another at home) are sterilized, vaccinated on and worming or flea treatment. The female has mammary cancer and she just keeps ignoring us whenever we tell her she needs to do something about it. It’s now the size of an apple. These dogs are so sweet, gently, playful and just gorgeous and she just treats them like dirt.
I wanted to take the little girl home and have her all fixed up. She came over to me throughout the day would stand up and put her feet on my legs and tap me to be picked up, I’d pick her up and she hugs you, puts her little head on your shoulder and snuggles in.
When we spoke to the lady this afternoon she claims she’s been in hospital and that’s why they’re in such a state, If only every other time they came in they weren’t in this same state would I actually believe her. Plus she has 4 teenage children, are they also incapable of taking care of these poor creatures.
I just wish people would stop being so selfish, if you can care for one dog, for gods sake don’t get 3!!
The only thing that made me happy was after I had grooming them, they ran around the room for hours playing with each other, finally they could move properly, weren’t itchy and could see.
I just needed to get that of my chest!

Can you get some pics of these dogs as evidence, and report them to the local shelter/SPCA? Eeven in Ireland, where we have quite weak dog welfare laws, the state of the dogs would enable welfare officers to confiscate the dogs. EG the untreated cancer, the fleas and filth, legs matted that badly can cause serious problems -- I know a dog whose leg had to be amputated due to matting cutting off circulation). I am sure your area laws are much better.

It must be very hard to have to see animals come in like this and then have their treatable condition ignored! :?

That's horrible! I just can't imagine them being so matted they can't move their limbs properly. That is clearly neglect. Poor things are just looking for some love aren't they?! Sometimes people just really suck!

yes i agree with Karlin is there any way you can report this cruel woman she doen't deserve to have dogs or any animals for that matter people like that make me sick. Sorry about the rant but animal cruelity really gets to me.

If there is such abusive neglect with the dogs, imagine what life is lhas been like for the 4 children in that house. I would report it IMMEDIATLY because it will probably open the lid as to what is really going on. I don't know if you had the chance to do before and after pictures, but if the cancer is as large as you say, that is only going to get worse. You have an opportunity to savev not just the lives of the pups, but also potentially help the teenagers too.

WARNING: this is a long long long post
As the law is there is only so much that we can do, I am able to speak to people who’s pets come in like that and explain why its both unfair on the animal and dangerous in terms of health, the medical aspect (e.g. the tumour) is dealt with by a vet, vet nurse or vet technician, they can speak to the owner and advice what treatment should be taken. In the past we have contacted the RSPCA about clients we feel have acted against the best interests of the animal, however it seems when it comes to grooming there is a gap in the law and what the RSPCA can actually do. If the animal is in a really bad state in my experience in the past, individual officers will keep contacting the owner and give them a time period to have the animal groomed or they will take it off them, most people comply and then next time round do the same thing. There doesn’t seem to be anything that can be done for repeat offenders especially since if pushed they get the dog groomed and most of the time there isn’t anything else wrong with them. The state of the animals coat doesn’t hold nearly as much weight as animal that is starving or chained up and so forth, even though in many situations I truly believe it’s as bad!!
At my work we speak to each client every time the animal is groomed, they are given a health check whilst there and any concerns are forwarded onto the owner with recommended treatment. As for matted dogs the owners are spoken to and have it explained why its crucial to keep your animals coat in good nick, they are also warned that bringing their animal in, in such a state incurs an extra fee (as our prices are very reasonable this seems to be an incentive to most people to be more proactive in their home grooming).
The animal welfare laws in WA are slowly changing but as far as I’m concerned there still far too inadequate… people who abuse, torture and mistreat animals are still getting a slap on the wrist… Other states have taken more initiative (and have more government funding) and there RSPCA has so much more funding and far greater facilities, it’s a shame. As things are now there still aren’t enough RSPCA officers to receive and investigate claims, not enough funds to hold enough educational campaigns and events, or to upgrade or expand facilities. On top of that people who do commit crimes are definitely getting more severe penalties but its still not severe enough to really say “Commit crimes against animals and you will pay the consequences”..
A few years back I attended a seminar that linked people who commit animal abuse to people who then go on to commit some of the most horrendous crimes. Basically all that have commit serious assault; murders, rapes and so forth have a history of committing animal cruelty prior to these other offences. If such a strong correlation has been made (and backed up by many other research groups and scientific bodies) I don’t understand why more isn’t being done…
Wow I’ve started on one topic and moved right through to another….
This is just an area I feel very passionate about as I’m sure everyone else here is… I have so much respect for the natural world and its inhabitants that I struggle with people who do not respect it, especially those who do not respect the animals they are responsible for.
Anyway I’ll stop my rant now… thankyou for listening…
icon_whistling

Some dogs simply don't tolerate brushing. Our Princess the Cocker HATES brushing, and for us to keep her still and brush her is literally torture to her. She HATES it, and always has. Even when she sees the Cavs loving it, she wants no part of it. Period. So we don't brush her. A couple of times a year she goes to the groomer and gets it all cut off. She is most certainly matted when she gets there, and we have, at times, paid the 'extra' because of that. I think it's quite over the top to suggest that because we don't brush her that she is somehow abused. I'm sure you're talking about extreme cases, but who decides at what point the animal is 'not groomed' enough for it to be an offense?

Also, the documented animal cruelty/torture history of many serial killers was much, much more serious than simply not brushing the animal. I think it's rather a long stretch to assume a correlation.

KC

moniechris said:
If there is such abusive neglect with the dogs, imagine what life is lhas been like for the 4 children in that house. I would report it IMMEDIATLY because it will probably open the lid as to what is really going on. I don't know if you had the chance to do before and after pictures, but if the cancer is as large as you say, that is only going to get worse. You have an opportunity to savev not just the lives of the pups, but also potentially help the teenagers too.

The dogs were neglected. It doesn't nescessarily follow that the children are/were!

KC

I should have been more clear in what I wrote, I’m not saying that if your dogs matted you’re a bad owner and you should be reported, I have quite a few clients who have animals that are impossible to brush, some that must be sedated or put under anaesthetic to be groomed, those people will come 3-4 times a year and have their dogs clipped. When these dogs come in they are matted, but its not to a point that’s totally unacceptable or unhealthy.
These people I speak of are those who take there dog (if there lucky) once a year to be clipped, ones that come in fly-blown, or have such bad dermatitis from being matted for such a long time that once you get down to the skin its in a mess, ones have suffered continuos ear infections, nails so ingrown they’ve grown back into their pads and become infected. It is the EXTREME cases that upset me, the ones that can easily be avoided, that are just a case of neglect.
If your dog wont have a bar of you brushing it there isn’t much you can do, even a Chihuahua can pack a bite and a half if you upset it enough!

"
Also, the documented animal cruelty/torture history of many serial killers was much, much more serious than simply not brushing the animal. I think it's rather a long stretch to assume a correlation.

KC[/quote]"

I never likened not brushing your dog to becoming a serial killer, that was in relation to my countries laws and people who commit abuse against animals, abuse i.e. beating, killing and torture

JeanKC said:
I think it's quite over the top to suggest that because we don't brush her that she is somehow abused. I'm sure you're talking about extreme cases, but who decides at what point the animal is 'not groomed' enough for it to be an offense?

IMHO it is absolutely abuse if the poor dog is so matted it can't extend it's legs! Also soma said they couldn't see properly, the muck in their eyes had caused dermatitis, they had fleas and infected ears and worst of all one of them had a tumour that was not being treated.
That to me is severe neglect and unquestionably abuse. If lack of grooming infringes on the dogs health in any way I think it constitutes abuse.

I've been known to rant myself...so maybe I reacted too quickly... but it pushed one of my buttons. ;)

My point was that the tone of the post went beyond the specific incident mentioned... and again, where is the line, and who decides? I suspect most of us either know of or have read about the Child Protection people actually removing kids from a home, at least temporarily, on the unsubstantianted claims of an anonymous tip. It happens every day... and these agencies have 'rules'. That sort of thing doesn't just 'go away', betcha the dog police would have much more leeway. I fear it would be a slippery slope.

KC (not Jean, who might agree with the group!)

Back