• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

We are about to bring home a Cavalier

I have just purchased a Cavalier (ruby in colour) from a couple who can no longer take care of him. The dog is called Mickey he is 6 months old and all papers are present. I am picking him up tomorrow to bring him home to his new family. :drivecar: .......

Any tips on helping him settle in on his first night would be greatly appreciated. We are bringing his bedding and basket with him and a large selection of his own toys.....

Oh one more question...How loud do these dogs bark. We have not heard him bark as yet?

First, congratulations on your new addition. :) Second, go to the Cavalier Information section of this forum and it will have lots of good advise for you. Also, get a good training book which is based on positive reenforcement. The biggest challenge is consistency and learning to "read" your dog. We got our Cavalier at six months as well and had a very easy transition but it might not always be so. Third, about barking, our Buddy who is now 22 months old almost never barks; literally, I have not heard him bark more than three or four times. Some Cavs are barkers. I would not characterize them are loud or as "yappie," but if you do have a barker it can be annoying. You may need to work on "quiet" or "sshhh" on command. Sometimes what you end up doing is teaching them to bark on command in the hopes that that is the only time they bark, sort of reverse psychology.

Enjoy your new addition and do not hestitate to ask questions and/or share stories.

We brought our 6 month cavalier home

Well what more can I say. We put our new dog in the car and he was as good as gold. We brought him home and he went straight to the conservatory door and started to scratch on the glass, we opened the door and out he went into the garden for toilet duties. We played and comforted him and all was fine. Then bed time came. We were dreading it, was our new dog going to cry and bark all night? Would we get any sleep at all? :roll:
You know what......He went straight to sleep and we never heard a peep all night long. I came down stairs next morning expecting to find the odd toilet mistake in the dining area. All was clean. He greeted me with great enthusiasm and then again went to the conservatory door to let me know it was his toilet time.....I AM IMPRESSED
What a fantastic dog our little Mickey is. He has been perfect :D

Wonderful! I think 6 months is such a beautiful age. Still has a ton of puppy in him but has a big of maturity as well. Congrats on a successful first night. May you have many many more!

Congratulations on your new puppy, he sounds like a very smart little fella! Looking forward to seeing photos!

That's great! He sounds like an angel. Cavaliers are smart little dogs!

Congrats on your new addition! :dogwlk:
Hope to hear more.
:flwr:

I just cant believe how well trained little MICKEY is.........I have read that Cavaliers were inteligent dogs but this dog has amazed my family and I beyond all expectations :D

Hooray for the kIng charles breed :lol:

Back