Thread: Leather Collars

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leather Collars

I think Cinder has almost outgrown his current collar.....brown leather with regular belt-like buckle. I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to switch him over to a cloth collar when we buy a new one? I notice that the leather one seems to rub a bit.....nothing serious but I'm wondering if a cloth one might be a bit more comfy for him? Anyone have experiences with different types?

I'm leaning towards a really pretty brown plaid one that Roxanne has on here site right now....just not sure how it would look on my B/T boy. His current one is an absolute match to the tan color of his coat

....come to think of it I don't even know why I'm asking.....I'd be silly to think that I WON'T be ordering that pretty plaid one!

-Bonnie

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought two of those collars with a matching leash I think they are stunning.
    I posted a picture here http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5205

I think they would compliment any colour of cavalier.

I sent you a Pm by the way.
    Mom to Daniel, Derrick, David
    Dudley 3 Years Old
    Darby 1 Year Old

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Linda,

Yes....that's the brown plaid (tartan) one that I love!

The polka-dot one is cute too....is that the one that kosmo's mum said that she didn't like in another post? Can't remember where I read it but I'm pretty sure she said that you couldn't come over if your pooch was decked out in those dots! LOL I like 'em but I think they'd suit a ruby or blenheim more than a B/T...but don't tell kosmo's mum that I said so!!

-Bonnie

Mic Guest

I'm a card-carrying member of the "Collar a Week Club." No, I'm not a shopaholic, but for the past 6 weeks I've purchased at least one, if not two, collars every week. Why? It seems that Cappy (8 months) is going through some sort of chewing stage and the only thing that seems to appease him is Abby's collar. Material doesn't matter; he's chewed through nylon, lupine guaranteed for life, flat leather, rolled leather, cute collars, ugly collars, brightly colored, dark colored, plastic buckles, metal buckles, etc. I've literally soaked Abby's collars in bitter apple and it's had no effect on Cappy.

And although I haven't found a collar thats lasted more than a few days, I did learn that many dog show folks prefer rounded leather collars because they don't tear/rip the dog's neck hair. Or at least that's what I was told. But if you're not into showing, I'd just go with the cutest collar you can find...and pray that another pup doesn't chew it off!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder
    Hi Linda,

Yes....that's the brown plaid (tartan) one that I love!

The polka-dot one is cute too....is that the one that kosmo's mum said that she didn't like in another post? Can't remember where I read it but I'm pretty sure she said that you couldn't come over if your pooch was decked out in those dots! LOL I like 'em but I think they'd suit a ruby or blenheim more than a B/T...but don't tell kosmo's mum that I said so!!

-Bonnie
    Hi Bonnie

Yes that is a good looking collar and Darby has the motif one and the bumble bee they are very well made.

Yes to the Polka Dot one too, that is the one Sara does not like and won't let me bring Darby to her house with it on. I think it would look great on a Ruby.
    Dudley 3 Years Old
    Darby 1 Year Old

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mic
    I'm a card-carrying member of the "Collar a Week Club." No, I'm not a shopaholic, but for the past 6 weeks I've purchased at least one, if not two, collars every week. Why? It seems that Cappy (8 months) is going through some sort of chewing stage and the only thing that seems to appease him is Abby's collar. Material doesn't matter; he's chewed through nylon, lupine guaranteed for life, flat leather, rolled leather, cute collars, ugly collars, brightly colored, dark colored, plastic buckles, metal buckles, etc. I've literally soaked Abby's collars in bitter apple and it's had no effect on Cappy.

And although I haven't found a collar thats lasted more than a few days, I did learn that many dog show folks prefer rounded leather collars because they don't tear/rip the dog's neck hair. Or at least that's what I was told. But if you're not into showing, I'd just go with the cutest collar you can find...and pray that another pup doesn't chew it off!
    Mickey you must of spent a fortune.

I have a rounded collar for Dudley and it is also great their hair does not get stuck in it at all it is very durable.

I would love to see your collection.
    Dudley 3 Years Old
    Darby 1 Year Old

Mic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    Mickey you must of spent a fortune.
    I would love to see your collection.
    Yup, all those collars certainly have cost a bundle. I told Cappy I'm taking it out of his allowance.
    As for my collection...each collar has been completely chewed into two separate pieces. I returned a few Lupine collars for new ones since they have a lifetime guarantee, but I felt like I was taking advantage of the policy. The manager thought I was crazy, but I don't think Lupine planned on supporting Cappy's collar addition with their guarantee policy. Besides, it was getting embarrassing!