Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how long..

Post Thanks / Like

Default how long..

for those who use a harness how long does your pup wear it each day??

Post Thanks / Like

only for walks. i can't think of any reason to keep his harness on him other than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Sally and Sam wear theres nearly all day as we go on 4-5 short walks aday. They get so excited that it safes a lot of hard work.

Post Thanks / Like

only for walks
    Mum to Tucker, born May 14, 2005

Post Thanks / Like

mine have 4 walks a day so i only put them on for that reason they come off as soon as we are in
    christine and cavaliers molly+charlie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Only for walks.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Only for walks or rides in the car .

Mine wear collars all of the time with their Id tag ...........when we go for walks or rides I put their Puppias on ( I still leave their collars on )

Post Thanks / Like

Only for walks.

They sit and "give paw" well so only takes about 10-15 seconds to put Puppia harness on, 10 seconds to take them off. They wear collar and tag all the time.

If we are going for a short car ride before the walk I put the car harnesses on over the top of the puppia harnesses. The car harnesses take maybe up to 20 seconds to put on. They have 2 sets of straps to close but I have marked one of the pairs of straps (the round-the-neck-ones) with a black blob so it's easy to match them up and click them first. Then when we get to our destination it's quick to get them out of the car and off for fun as they are already in their puppias.

On a longer car ride we may use a crate and then they would probably wear their puppias so they can come straight out and leads clipped on.

But in the house they just wear collars. The puppias are often muddy after a walk so I would not keep them on them all day. Oh...and the puppies are often muddier!!!

But it's easy for us as they can go out safely in the garden in between times for wees etc so they are not going out for walks as often.
    Annie and Lucy (tri girl born Feb 06) and Henry (Blenheim boy born June 06)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If I am there I sometimes leave them on between a walk or two as I also have to walk the dogs about 4 times a day -- no garden for them to do their business. I wouldn't leave them on if I am not there, as Jaspar and Leo both have gotten a leg out of one side and the harness twisted around once or twice when playing and I'd be concerned about that if I weren't there to fix it. Also the harness could catch on something when they are alone. One harness that is popular here is shaped like a figure eight and could easily choke a dog if it caught on something while the dog was alone, as it can tighten if the dog pulls hard against it.

I find the harnesses seem to take hair off their chest at the very base, where their ribcage ends, if they are left on too much of the time, so it is probably best to mostly use them for walks. I used to leave them on a lot more during the day when I realised the abrasion was wearing off a bit of their hair. This might not happen with others' dogs; mine have fairly fine coats.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for replies everyone.... i guess i'll have to get a collar to because by the time i get her harness on for her 1st pee on a morning (as i'm starting to take her out as shes had all her vaccs) she'll be to late......